XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

oiram
IN THIS NEW AGE OF REVIVING OLD FRANCHISES/FADS, MANY HAVE TRIED AND FAILED, AS WE HAVE SEEN THE PAST. THEN WE GET THE ONES THAT END UP SOMEHOW WORKING, LIKE THE FAST AND FURIOUS FRANCHISE, WHICH IS NOW OFFICIALLY ONE OF THE BIGGGEST FRANCHISES IN MOVIES RIGHT NOW. BECAUSE OF THIS, RAZZIE NOMINATED VIN DIESEL DECIDED THAT IT WAS TIME TO BRING BACK ANOTHER FRANCHISE THAT WAS DEAD FOR SOME TIME, THAT BEING THE RAZZIE NOMINATED XXX, IN THE FORM OF THIS SEQUEL KNOWN AS RETURN OF XANDER CAGE.

THIS FILM, WHILE NOT GETTING COMPLETELY TRASHED, HAS ALOT OF THINGS WRONG WITH IT THAT, IN MY OPINION, SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED. FOR ONE, THE MAIN CHARACTER HAS THIS MARY-SUE-ISH, (OR GARY-STU-ISH) VIBE TO HIM. ALSO, MANY CHARACTERS COME OFF AS ANNOYING AND ARE NOT REALLY USED TO THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL. ONLY REAL EXCEPTION BEING DONNIE YEN, THOUGH SEEING SOMEONE LIKE HIM IN A MOVIE LIKE THIS MAKES ME ASK "WHY IS HE HERE?" (HIM AND TONY JAA, IN MY OPINION.) MATTER OF FACT, ACTRESS TONI COLLETTE SEEMS TO HAVE THE LOOK OF "WHY AM I HERE?" MOST OF THE TIME.

THE BIGGEST GRIPE FOR ME IS THAT THEY ARE SO OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO START A FRANCHISE, IN THE VEIN OF THE NEW FAST AND FURIOUS. HOWEVER, IT ENDS UP NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THINGS COMING OFF AS TOO STUPID TO REALLY ENJOY AND THERE ARE MANY TIMES WHERE THE FILM TAKES ITSSELF TOO SERIOUSLY. WILL IT BE THE WORST MOVIE OF THIS YEAR? MAYBE NOT, BUT I FEEL THAT A MOVIE LIKE THIS SHOULD NOT JUST CREEP ON BY FROM US THAT EASILY.

BUT ENOUGH FROM ME, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS "RETURN?"

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), Amy Schumer (nom), and Reese Witherspoon (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Jon Bass (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

R.T. (40%): "It should satisfy fans of the first two installments, but its preponderance of set pieces can't quite make up for a tired storyline that fails to take the franchise -- or action fans -- anywhere new."

Peter Travers' review.

Eric Walkuski's review.

Chris Stuckmann's video review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video review.

DOUBLE TOASTED's video review.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Dun-Ida
Here are my suggestions for nominations.

Worst Picture

Worst Actor. Vin Diesel. His performance is quite dull in this movie.

Worst Supporting Actress. Nina Dobrev. She is unconvincing as a nerdy character. Instead her character is more like someone badly pretending to be a nerd.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel

Worst Director. D.J. Caruso. His direction of this movie is all over the place in most scenes. It is difficult to follow the story with an overly chaotic picture.

Worst Screenplay. F. Scott Frazier. The screenplay is insipid. There is nothing entertaining in the screenplay that is interesting. All the screenplay offers is a bland story and weak characters.

Dishonorable mention. Toni Collette, Worst Supporting Actress.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

aaron169
I appreciate with your thoughts.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Dun-Ida
Review by Jor-Els Alexandria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QkdvQWwCs

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Supporting Actress for Ruby Rose (also for RESIDENT EVIL PART 6).
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
Oh, and maybe Worst Picture. But not:
-Worst Actor for Vin Diesel.
-Worst Supporting Actor for Donnie Yen.
-Worst Supporting Actress for Nina Dobrev nor for Toni Collette.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

oiram
Vits wrote
Oh, and maybe Worst Picture. But not:
-Worst Supporting Actress for Nina Dobrev.
One person said Nina is like the Jar Jar Binks of the movie. Why do you not consider her? Just curious.

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Vits
I think that comparison is a little exagerated. The character could be annoying at times, but she never felt intrusive. Also, that a problem of the script, not the actress.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Dun-Ida
I agree that Nina Dobrev is annoying but the main reason she should be considered is that she is unconvincing as a nerd.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Vits
Because Nina is also a model?

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Dun-Ida
Nina Dobrev does not act like a nerd. In the movie Dobrev does not have the mannerisms required to be convincing as a nerd.

Vits wrote
Because Nina is also a model?
AP

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

AP
This movie is running faster than Usain Bolt to get its hands on that coveted Razzie hands down. And not only the movie, some of its actors as well are in serious competition with one another. and i think the winner should UNANIMOUSLY be Deepika Padukone. What was That ? She calls that acting ?    I personally have never seen anything worse than that (and i usually dont get to say that. My threshold is pretty low). What was she babbling ? No expression, No Dialogue Delivery. and trust me, she is considered to be a wonderful actress in my own India. I've seen a few of her performances and none of them are good. I am ashamed. And none of u even mentioned her name for the Razzie. Really ? Oh Come on now... U really didn't approve her performance, did u ?

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

oiram
AP wrote
This movie is running faster than Usain Bolt to get its hands on that coveted Razzie hands down. And not only the movie, some of its actors as well are in serious competition with one another. and i think the winner should UNANIMOUSLY be Deepika Padukone. What was That ? She calls that acting ?    I personally have never seen anything worse than that (and i usually dont get to say that. My threshold is pretty low). What was she babbling ? No expression, No Dialogue Delivery. and trust me, she is considered to be a wonderful actress in my own India. I've seen a few of her performances and none of them are good. I am ashamed. And none of u even mentioned her name for the Razzie. Really ? Oh Come on now... U really didn't approve her performance, did u ?
There is always the problem of not enough room. There is still the chance that she'll make it, but the category could end up being pretty crowded. Plus, Nina Dobrev got a little more attention anyways.

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

AP wrote
This movie is running faster than Usain Bolt to get its hands on that coveted Razzie hands down. And not only the movie, some of its actors as well are in serious competition with one another. and i think the winner should UNANIMOUSLY be Deepika Padukone. What was That ? She calls that acting ?    I personally have never seen anything worse than that (and i usually dont get to say that. My threshold is pretty low). What was she babbling ? No expression, No Dialogue Delivery. and trust me, she is considered to be a wonderful actress in my own India. I've seen a few of her performances and none of them are good. I am ashamed. And none of u even mentioned her name for the Razzie. Really ? Oh Come on now... U really didn't approve her performance, did u ?
I didn't feel she stood out positively nor negatively.

Re: XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE

Vits
Armond White's review.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile