- Sign in to Hotmail. Click on Settings >> Option from the drop-down menu within your inbox.
- Click “Filter and reporting” under Preventing junk email (Refer to image)
- Set filters by selecting either standard or exclusive. Selecting exclusive will send every mail that’s not from your contact list to junk mail folder. You can moreover ask the sender to remove you from their mailing lists and automatically block spam when you click on Junk or Unsubscribe. Hotmail outlook phishing threat most definitely comes from unknown senders. You can easily block unknown email senders on Hotmail by choosing to show or block attachments under the Block Content from Unknown Senders heading. Click “Save” once you’re finished setting filters.
Test Spam Filter | See If It’s Working
After you’ve set your email priorities using “Filters and Reporting” option, there’s one thing you need to do. Test it. Although, the hotmail Spam filter works hard to prevent spam from your inbox. It is not 100% accurate. This is why you need to test your filters credibility, manually.
1. Go to your Inbox and look for junk mail to see whether or not your spam filter is performing as expected. If you happen to find spam, you can then manually move them to your junk folder.
2.Send yourself an email containing words/phrases/images that you’ve set your spam filter to detect as spam, such as “Free” or “You’re our winner”. Then check your email to see if the sent mail is categorized under Junk. If yes, then it’s working just fine.
3. Refer to some free email testing tools that you can find online. Follow the instructions to test your spam filter and determine the security status of your email address.