THE GREAT WALL

WHAT AN AGE WE ARE ALIVE IN. WE NOW ARE IN A TIME WHERE A MOVIE CAN BE DESCRIBED AS WHITEWASHED EVEN WHEN A CHARACTER IS TECHNICALLY SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE, WHICH IS WHAT THIS FILM, THE GREAT WALL, SUFFERED FROM. AS I HAVE SAID EARLIER ON THESE FORUMS, THE SO-CALLED “WHITEWASHING” IS NOT THE ISSUE WITH THE MOVIE, AND SEEING WHAT THE REVIEWS HAVE TO SAY, MANY AGREE WITH THAT.

IN THIS MOVIE, WE HAVE THE ISSUE OF THE KOMODO DRAGONS, AS PEOPLE ARE NOT BUYING THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FANTASY. IGNORING CGI ISSUES, HOWEVER, THE SET UP ACTUALLY GOT PEOPLE SUCKED IN, AND MANY WERE THINKING THAT THIS WOULD BE ALRIGHT BASED ON THE FIRST ACT. THEN THE REST OF THE MOVIE CAME, AND THINGS GOT BORING VERY FAST, BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS WERE NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE TO CARE ABOUT THEM. NOT EVEN THE TWO TIME OSCAR AND TWO TIME RAZZIE NOMINATED WILLEM DAFOE COULD BE CARED ABOUT, AND IS PRETTY MUCH WASTED, IN FACT. THE LAST ACT WAS SO CHOPPY THAT IT FELT LIKE CHARACTERS JUST TELEPORTED TO THE PLACES THAT THEY NEEDED TO BE, AND THE WRITING GOT REALLY BAD TOWARDS THE END.

SO BASICALLY, THE GREAT WALL STARTED OFF WITH PROMISE, AND THEY EXECUTED IT LIKE HOW PEOPLE NORMALLY EXECUTE THINGS, KILLING IT. BUT WHAT ARE YOUR GUYS’ THOUGHTS? IS MATT DAMON WORTHY OF A WORST ACTOR NOD (I MEAN, HIS BUDDY, BEN AFFLECK, HAS BEEN NOMINATED A BUNCH OF TIMES NOW, SO WHY NOT MATT DAMON)?

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
R.T. (35-40%): "For a Yimou Zhang film featuring Matt Damon and Willem Dafoe battling ancient monsters, the film is neither as exciting nor as entertainingly bonkers as one might hope."

Richard Roeper's review.

Peter Travers' review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video review.
oiram wrote
WE NOW ARE IN A TIME WHERE MOVIE CAN BE DESCRIBED AS WHITEWASHED EVEN WHEN A CHARACTER IS TECHNICALLY SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE, WHICH IS WHAT THIS FILM, THE GREAT WALL, SUFFERED FROM.
People are confusing "whitewashing" with "white savior narrative."

Re: THE GREAT WALL

oiram
I know. I was surprised when I talked to one guy some time ago about how he thought it was whitewashing, and I said "I'm pretty sure Matt Damon is playing a foreigner who came into China."

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Chris Bumbray's review.

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vheid
It also follows the recent trend of Hollywood pandering to China...

Re: THE GREAT WALL

oiram
That's true too. That seemed to have backfired a tad, though.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vheid
I recently read an article that maybe this is more China trying to pander to the U.S. (and the rest of the world) because it is a movie with a Chinese crew and mostly chinese actors.. They apparently made it in English and added Matt Damon only to make it more appealing for audiences outside China...

Seeing that the Chinese film industry is now booming it's no wonder that they are now trying to expand outside of China... I feel we really need to keep an eye out for Rock Dog this weekend which seems to be a Chinese animated movie getting a wide release in the U.S. and following this same trend....

Re: THE GREAT WALL

oiram
I'm not too surprised. If you find the article again, may I see it?

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vheid
If i find it but it has been a while back and i dont remember where i read it...

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Tamara Chambers' video review.

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Gabriel Bahamondes (2/6): "It's curious to see Matt Damon immersed in a project with these characteristics, without a solid script and with such an absurd thematic background. This is a lavish movie with a great visual impact that drags every time its characters open their mouths."

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Diego Muñoz (3/5): "It's never wrong to inject a little talent to a blockbuster. Someone like Zhang Yimou can find beauty in even the worst of the Hollywood excesses."

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Mitch Hansch's review.

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vheid

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
It sounds a little exagerated. Just don't make co-productions with a budget as high as this one.

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vheid
Vits wrote
It sounds a little exagerated. Just don't make co-productions with a budget as high as this one.
But that kind of goes for most Hollywood tentpoles now a days...

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration: Worst Screen Couple for Matt Damon and Tian Jing. Oh, and maybe Worst Actor for Damon. But not Worst Picture.

Re: THE GREAT WALL

Vits
Everything wrong with this movie.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile