THE BYE-BYE MAN

GTAHater
SOMETIMES, THE CONCEPT FOR A PREMISE IS SO POORLY THOUGHT-OUT THAT THE HARSHEST CRITICS DEEM IT “SHOVELWARE”, USUALLY APPLYING TO VIDEO GAMES, BUT WHICH I USE AS A CATCH-ALL TERM FOR SUCH PROFOUNDLY STUPID IDEAS. THAT’S CERTAINLY THE CASE WITH “THE BYE BYE MAN”, ONE OF TWO WORST NEW FILMS OF THE WEEKEND AND POSSIBLY THIS YEAR’S BIGGEST FRIDAY THE 13TH RAZZBERRY HORROR. ACCORDING TO AN URBAN LEGEND TAKING PLACE NEAR A COLLEGE CAMPUS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, THERE EXISTS A MALEVOLENT SPIRIT KNOWN AS THE BYE-BYE MAN, AND HE SEIZES CONTROL OVER THE THOUGHTS AND IMPULSES OF ANYONE WHO DARES TO SAY, EVEN IN THEIR HEAD, THE SPECTRAL ENTITY’S NAME, TRIGGERING THEM TO COMMIT ATROCITIES THAT PEOPLE ACROSS AMERICA ARE EXTREMELY WEARY OF THIS DECADE, WHAT WITH ALL THE GUN VIOLENCE IN OUR OWN LAND AND WAR CRIMES ABROAD. 3 YOUNG COLLEGE FRIENDS HEAD TO THE SITE WHERE THE EVIL SPIRIT IS ANCHORED, IN ORDER TO CHALLENGE THE URBAN LEGEND, INTENT ON EITHER PROVING OR REFUTING IT, BUT AS THEY SHOULD’VE KNOWN, IT ALL COMES TRUE.

THE COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE BYE-BYE MAN COME LONG AND DEEP, AND MAKE A LOT OF CRITICS ADD, “DON’T SEE IT” TO THE “DON’T THINK IT, DON’T SAY IT” TAGLINE. DERIVATIVE OF COUNTLESS HORROR FILMS SEEN IN THE PAST HALF CENTURY, PARTICULARLY CANDY-MAN MOST CLOSELY, AND A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET ACCLAIM-WISE, THE MYTHOLOGY BEHIND THE FILM WAS VERY SLOPPILY COMPOSED. WORSE THAN THE ACTING ARE THE ATTEMPTS AT SCARES, WHICH CAUSE NO EXCITEMENT AND LEAVE NO LASTING IMPACT, AND THE MURDERS ARE WATERED DOWN FOR A PG-13 RATING. EVEN THE DIALOGUE WAS STUPID, BECAUSE LIKE 2015 RAZZIE FINALIST SEVENTH SON, THEY WENT OVERBOARD ON THE CAMP STYLE, WHERE THE SUCCESS RATE IS LOW ENOUGH IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND IT’S INTERSPERSED WITH TOO MUCH EXPOSITION AND EXPLANATION, SIMILAR TO QUITE A FEW 2016 RAZZIE QUARTERFINALISTS.

BUT DON’T LET ME SAY MY GOODBYES TO THE BYE-BYE MAN ALL ALONE. VENT YOUR MEAN WORDS AND PURGE YOUR DIRTY THOUGHTS INTO THE FORUM THREAD BELOW!

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Of course, as I have mentioned before, past Razzie winner Faye Dunaway has a small role in this film. Wonder what she has been doing recently before this?
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vits
Eric Walkuski's review.

DOUBLE TOASTED's video review.
oiram wrote
Of course, as I have mentioned before, past Razzie winner Faye Dunaway has a small role in this film. Wonder what she has been doing recently before this?
A diva reputation and some critical and/or financial failures are already enough to hurt an actor's career. However, there's something deadlier: Avoiding interviews and public events.

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

oiram
Vits wrote
oiram wrote
Of course, as I have mentioned before, past Razzie winner Faye Dunaway has a small role in this film. Wonder what she has been doing recently before this?
A diva reputation and some critical and/or financial failures are already enough to hurt an actor's career. However, there's something deadlier: Avoiding interviews and public events.
I've heard rumors that the reason for avoiding interviews is because she did not want to give people a chance to talk about Mommie Dearest.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vheid
oiram wrote
Does anyone think Dunaway somehow increased her chances of getting nominated for this movie because of the fact that she was part of the screw-up in announcing the Best Picture winner?
No, because everyone will have forgotten that incident once the ballots go out (it wont be fresh in peoples memories)...

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vheid wrote
oiram wrote
Does anyone think Dunaway somehow increased her chances of getting nominated for this movie because of the fact that she was part of the screw-up in announcing the Best Picture winner?
No, because everyone will have forgotten that incident once the ballots go out (it wont be fresh in peoples memories)...
Are you sure about that? I ask because I remember in the 32nd Golden Raspberry Awards, James Franco surprisingly got a nom for Worst Supporting Actor for Your Highness. Not saying the performance wasn't bad, it is just that he was up against strong competition from Hank Azaria for The Smurfs, Neil Patrick Harris for Beastly and The Smurfs, Jason Lee for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Gary Oldman for Red Riding Hood, and John Turturro for Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

He was up against all of that, yet James got a nom above them, which leads me to believe that his notoriously bad job at hosting the Oscars had something to do with the nom too. And you may say "That was an entire night compared to one event in a night", and that's true, but that one event still had a lot of coverage, and people were having a laugh at it for some time.

Also, don't forget that unlike Mr. Franco, Faye Dunaway is a Razzie perennial. She is one of the first ever actresses to be nominated for a Razzie, winning two out of eight trophies. Those facts seem to increase her chances of making the ballots.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vheid
The Interview was a highly publisized movie that came out at the end of the year. Also Franco's obnoxious performance in that movie was universally panned by avarage people (as in not critics or forum members) who saw that movie.

I also feel most people don't dig in the Razzie history the way you do and when people don't remember actors/actresses getting nominated multiple times (as in it happening in the last 5-10 years) they don't experience them as Razzie perrenials...

But as always i could be wrong...

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

oiram
Vheid wrote
The Interview was a highly publisized movie that came out at the end of the year. Also Franco's obnoxious performance in that movie was universally panned by avarage people (as in not critics or forum members) who saw that movie.
I never mentioned The Interview. I was talking about Your Highness: LINK

Oh i am sorry

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Dun-Ida
I just watched it. Here is my suggestions:

Worst Actor
Douglas Smith. His acting often lacks the required facial expressions. A lot of the time his face has no expressions.

Dishonorable mentions: Worst Picture. Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel. Worst Director: Stacy Title.

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vits
What is it a remake or sequel of?

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Dun-Ida
It rips off other horror movies.

Vits wrote
What is it a remake or sequel of?

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Vits
Which ones?

Re: THE BYE-BYE MAN

Dun-Ida
While it rips off various horror movies it particularly rips off to Candyman (1992) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

Vits wrote
Which ones?