Quantcast

SUICIDE SQUAD

12

SUICIDE SQUAD

GTAHater
WILD AND VIBRANT COLORS, BE THEY PASTEL OR FLUORESCENT, CAN SOMETIMES BELIE DISAPPOINTMENT, AND RARELY HAS THAT HAPPENED SO BADLY AS WITH THE D.C. EXPANDED UNIVERSE’S SECOND CRITICAL FAILURE IN 2016 FOLLOWING LAST WINTER’S “DAWN OF JUSTICE”. EARLIER IN THE WINTER, ONE ANTI-HERO PUT VULGARITY TO THAT RARE SKILLED USE, MAKING “DEADPOOL” THE YEAR’S MOST SUCCESSFUL SUPERHERO FILM ADAPTATION. THIS TIME, A LOOSE-KNIT CREW OF UTTERLY STRANGE AND INSANE ANTI-HEROES ARE GATHERED TO FORM A SEEMINGLY CREATIVE TASK FORCE ON A GENERIC MISSION.

“SUICIDE SQUAD” HAD BEEN HYPED UP FOR A YEAR OR TWO BY COMIC BOOK FANS TO BE THE BACKUP PLAN IF BATMAN V SUPERMAN WERE TO FLOP. IN THIS CASE, A COVEN OF IMPRISONED SUPER VILLAINS JOINS FORCES AS A JAILHOUSE ANTI-HERO SQUAD SENT ON A LAST DESPERATE AND EXTREME-RISK MISSION TO CHALLENGE AN INSURMOUNTABLE SUPERNATURAL ENTITY. AS GOOD AS IT FELT FOR THESE DETESTABLE PSYCHOPATHS TO PLAY THE BAD GUYS LONG AGO, IT’S CLEAR UPON THEIR MISSION BRIEFING THAT THEY’RE DESTINED TO LOSE THE BATTLE. IT TURNS OUT THAT NATIONAL MILITARY INTELLIGENCE WANTS THE SUICIDE SQUAD TO TAKE THE FALL AT A CONVENIENT OPPORTUNITY, MOST LIKELY TO COVER UP THE OMNICIDAL ENIGMA. MAYBE THEY’LL CHALLENGE THE APOCALYPTIC PHENOMENON AGAIN AT THEIR COLLECTIVE PERIL, MAYBE THEY’LL GO EVERY-PERSON-FOR-THEMSELVES AND DECLARE WAR ON EACH OTHER, MAYBE THEY’LL GO BACK TO THEIR OLD WAYS AND TERRORIZE THE HUMAN RACE AGAIN, OR ANY SCENARIO YOU CAN IMAGINE, OR SOMETHING. WHATEVER! EVEN IF I COULD MAKE GUARANTEES, I WOULDN’T WANT TO SPOIL THAT PART ANYWAY!

PEOPLE LIKE ME, WHO GIVE NEARLY EQUAL STANDARDS OF JUDGMENT TO MOST GENRES AND STYLES, SAW SUICIDE SQUAD AS A WILD CARD. IT COULD’VE BEEN GREAT, IT COULD’VE BEEN AWFUL, AND ALL BETS WERE OFF. DIRECTOR DAVID AYER IS JUST AS HIT-OR-MISS. UPON CLOSER INSPECTION, HE’S ONLY GOTTEN FRESH REVIEWS 4 TIMES OUT OF THE NOW 11 THAT HE’D HAD MEASURED ON THE TOMATOMETER. BY THAT STATISTIC, SUICIDE SQUAD IS HIS 2ND WORST FILM NEXT TO “SABOTAGE”, A GRATIUTOUS GORE FEST STARRING AH-NULD SCHWARZENEGGER. THE ONLY REASONS THIS GOT A “D” INSTEAD OF AN “F” IN ITS PRE-SCREENINGS WERE A DECENT LEVEL OF HUMOR IN THE SCRIPT AND TALENT IN THE CAST. OTHERWISE, THE PLOT GETS POORLY ORGANIZED, THE CHARACTERS ARE THINLY DEVELOPED, AND THE DIRECTION IS TOO ABRUPT AND JARRING.

IF YOU CAN ARGUE FOR HOW SUICIDE SQUAD CAN BEAT ITS COMPETITION IN THE RAZZIES, SEND SUICIDE SQUAD ON A RIGGED SUICIDE MISSION BELOW!

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

R.T. (30%): "It boasts a talented cast and a little more humor than previous DCEU efforts, but they aren't enough to save the disappointing end result from a muddled plot, thinly written characters, and choppy directing."

Andrés Nazarala R. (2/7): "Director David Ayer has the hard mission of introducing each of the characters in order to delve fully into action later, without leaving aside the manual explanations and the secondary appearances (like BATMAN's). That's a lot to do in just one movie, which makes it a little uneven. [...] IDEAL FOR: Discovering the bad guys' good side."

Fernando Marambio (2/6): ""Although at times entertaining, the movie has problems when it comes to introducing the members of the squad. There's so many scoundrels that join the team that director David Ayer exhausts himself telling their stories. Some characters are well-portrayed in their wish for redemption, like DEADSHOT (Will Smith), while others seem to have only been included to be a punchline, like BOOMERANG.

Ana Josefa Silva: "The thing is that, even though writer-director David Ayer applied an action movie montage, the movie fails to keep up the pacing (there's even tedious moments) and specially to build a real conflict. And you can't achieve that without a good antagonist. To rephrase that, the one that shows up at the end is very forced (not to mention lame)."

Richard Roeper's review.

Peter Travers' review.

Jeremy Jahns's video reviews without and with spoilers.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video reviews without and with spoilers.

Chris Bumbray's video review.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Question: If Margot Robbie gets strongly considered for Worst Actress, can she also be jointly nominated for Legend of Tarzan?
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

DTLizard
If she was Razzie-esque terrible in Legend of Tarzan, I don't see why not.

But from the reviews I read, it seems that she was one of the better parts in it. Cara Delevingne gets less good reviews, though.
MPT

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

MPT
"The critics can kiss my ass"---Jay Hernandez aka El Diablo

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Ernesto Garratt V. (2/5): "With its humour and soundtrack GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (from Marvel, the competition) style, it tries too hard to be liked. It doesn't achieve it but, in its heart (and this is ironic), beats a feminine vision with strong women that carry the story. [...] The 3 main female characters are the best part of this movie and they help us forget the problems of the script."

Paul Shirley's review.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

DTLizard
Caught a 1 o'clock afternoon show, not a busy cinema at all.

The biggest issue with Suicide Squad, as far as I'm concerned, is the screenplay and the story itself, because that was a big ol' mess. The structure was lacking, character motivations were unclear or revealed at awkward moments, I am not sure why Katana, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc were there, and even El Diablo feels tacked on. Out of the squad, Robbie's Quinn and Smith's Deadshot have good chemistry, but the team never feels like a squad, despite one or two bonding moments that feel out of place.

I would say:
Worst Screenplay (biggest problem with the movie, in my opinion)
Worst Director (Ayer wrote and directed, but I think he could've salvaged more from the messy script.)
Worst Supporting Actor - Jared Leto and/or Jai Courtney. I think Courtney tried to do as much with Captain Boomering as he could with the little material he was given, but it was still very much 'oh right I guess the Australian dude is there as well for some reason'. And Leto was... his Joker was a 12-year-old boy's idea of a gangster, which may be what they were going for, but his Joker wasn't really memorable, considering the hype. (Also, this is probably 100% me, but for some reason his voice reminded me of Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura, so I was never able to take him seriously).

Maybe Worst Screencombo, since the squad never feels like a true squad. Like I said above, only Robbie and Smith have chemistry together.

Margot Robbie doesn't deserve a Razzie nomination, Harley Quinn is one of the more enjoyable parts of the movie, and Cara Delevingne was a decent enough Enchantress. Viola Davis also made for a badass Amanda Waller.

Curious to see what others make of it, Razzie-wise!
MPT

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

MPT
Caught Suicide Squad at last, and it was pretty good. The character development was good as well as the cast playing the characters. The plot itself was very clear-cut; although the criminals got swerved, they end up defeating the main antagonist. It was a simple plot but not "muddled" or anything like that. You'll end up enjoying it if you don't take things too darn seriously like the critics have been doing. The movie left me wanting more of these guys, not that it's a bad thing.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
Jeff Beck's review.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
I just saw it. I don't think it should be nominated for anything.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
Daniel Baxter's video review.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
Mitch Hansch's review.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

faelomaiden

Worst Director: David Ayer

Worst Supporting Actress: Cara Delevingne

Worst Screenplay:

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

bubblesort
Suicide Squad is so terrible I signed up for an account here just to throw my support behind it winning a Razzie. I grew up reading the comic books, so I will spare you the technical comic book nerd rant and try to explain how I think a turd this horrible saw the light of day...

I think this is what happened:  There is some kind of massive competition among the global elite to make 2016 the crappiest year ever. Politics, TV, music, the olympics, corruption, movies... everything sucks this year. The man (illumanati, lizard people, shriners, clockwork elves, whoever your favorite global conspirators are) is running a razzie competition for everything in the world now, and movies are just one category. Movie studios are very competitive about this, though, so...

Columbia dropped Ghostbusters, Fox had their annual X-Men disappointment... and by that I mean Deadpool. They wanted Deadpool to flop so bad so they could win a razzie, but that plan backfired on them, so now their best contender is Apocalypse.  Columbia squeezed out Zoolander 2. It looked for a while like Warner Brothers lost their magic. How could they compete with these massive turds? Well, apparently they have been working on their strategy to win the 2016 razzie for years. First they released Batman vs Superman, and then thry released Suicide Squad. That just killed everybody else's hopes of winning razzies this year. If that isn't enough to do it, they still have Magical Beasts and Where to Find them in the pipeline, and the Harry Potter nerds I know are already skeptical about that.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Risikostreuung
Worst Supporting Actress: Cara Delevingne

After her transformation her acting skills dropped to Zero. Every Scene with here was plain terrible.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

MiguelAntilsu
I don't mean any offence bubblesort, but it sounds like you're writing an article for The Onion or something.  Before you throw your support behind Suicide Squad for Razzie Awards, I would suggest sizing up the competition.  Here are a few prospects I would recommend: Dirty Grandpa, Gods of Egypt, Independence Day: Resurgence, London Has Fallen, Mother's Day, Nina, Nine Lives, Warcraft.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
How it should have ended.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
Everything great about this movie.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

Vits
Everything wrong with this movie.

Re: SUICIDE SQUAD

HansCyanid
One thing I detest more than a sob-story is a sob-story to justify terrible choices. In this case, "Suicide Squad". "Oh but David didn't have enough time, they were pressured by the studio after BvS bombed, meh meh meh meh..." These are seasoned professionals, it's not the first time Hollywood film-making has proven not to be the easiest line of work. Can we stop being babies about it? Please?

When you have great actors and bad writing, what do you do? You improvise, clearly a concept David's not too familiar with.

It's no excuse. Don't give credit where credit isn't due just because Margot's butt is hypnotic. Suicide Squad was a Harley Quin showcase, nothing more.

There are a list of reasons this movie deserves at least one Razzi for the records, but most of them have all been stated so I'll add my own personal critique...

Joker is a full-grown man, a character that's been around since the very first Batman issue, on his Samsung Galaxy like a 16 year old little girl. I bet behind the scenes, there were kitty pics.
This is insulting, to me as a millennial and an artist, and to the human race that the future of filming (an art form if any of you forget) allows a very old, very dangerous character to be far too busy with his bae and diamond chains to do anything for the plot without receiving a firm slap on the wrist.
12