Quantcast

Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

12

Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
So guys, with about 2 months to go of the year, I think it is high time to discuss who you think will be a Razzie Redeemer nominee.

Right now, the only one coming to my mind is Mel Gibson, from being a Razzie nominee for Expendables 3 to acting in the well received Blood Father and directing the Oscar hopeful Hacksaw Ridge.

Are there any others you think are deserving of a chance?
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

Vits
How about Salma Hayek (from 2-time nominee to TALE OF TALES and SAUSAGE PARTY)?

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
Vits wrote
How about Salma Hayek (from 2-time nominee to TALE OF TALES and SAUSAGE PARTY)?
That's a possibility.

MiguelAntilsu
Peter Berg (from Razzie nominee for "Battleship" to the critically-acclaimed "Deepwater Horizon")

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
MiguelAntilsu wrote
Peter Berg (from Razzie nominee for "Battleship" to the critically-acclaimed "Deepwater Horizon")
Great choice!
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

DTLizard
Mel Gibson is too much of an asshole to get that award. Yes, I know, we shouldn't let his actions outside of movies influence us, but there must be actors out there who aren't complete assholes who have turned things around in their career.

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
Depending on how Fantastic Beasts does, there could be.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

DTLizard wrote
Mel Gibson is too much of an asshole to get that award. Yes, I know, we shouldn't let his actions outside of movies influence us, but there must be actors out there who aren't complete assholes who have turned things around in their career.
Well, you may have gotten your wish. Fantastic Beasts came in at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and it stars last year's Razzie winner Eddie Redmayne, so he may very well be the winner of the Redeemer award this year.

There are also other Razzie nominees in this movie. One of them is a spoiler however. Lets just say this person is already being considered for other movies in the Worst category this year (Meaning this person wouldn't count anyways).

The other two possible Redeemer nominees from Fantastic Beasts are Colin Farrell and Jon Voight. However upcoming movies might end up ruining their chances. Farrell has a movie coming out in December that was already released last year in Turkey called Solace, starring Anthony Hopkins. I'll go into it more later, but I have the Wiki Link for those who are curious. Needless to say, it sounds like a juicy pick for the Razzies. As for Angelina Jolie's father, next year, he is going to be in this movie (which was actually meant to be for this year) called Same Kind of Different as Me, which is already under scrutiny for being yet another "white family saving a black person" movie. Seeing the trailer for the movie, it feels very TV Pick-of-the-Week, and certainly been there, done that. You can look at this Wiki Link yourself and see if it will be Razzie worthy.

Anyways, point is, Redmayne could definitely be the Redeemer winner over Gibson.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

DTLizard
I haven't seen Fantastic Beasts myself yet, so I will wait and see!

Not sure about Redmayne for Razzie Redeemer either... he's considered to be a good actor for whom Jupiter Ascending was an outlier. Personally, I like it when the award goes to someone like Stallone - longer career of being in terrible movies, and turned things around.

But looking at people who have been most frequently nominated/won Worst Actor or Worst Actress, I can't see a lot of people who fit my preferrence.

Maybe John Travolta? The People v. O.J. Simpson was well-received and won 9 Emmy's, and Travolta was also one of the producers. His movie efforts from 2016 were either badly received (I Am Wrath) or well-received (In A Valley of Violence).

Kristen Stewart can be considered too, I think. She might not have had a long acting career, but she was in the Twilight Saga and got nominated/won a Razzie several times. In 2016, she was in the critically acclaimed Certain Women, and in the positively received Personal Shopper.

[...]

I think that one film may disqualify Mr. Travolta. Can't say for certain, but I highly doubt he'll be a nominee.

Kristen Stewart has been nominated for the Redeemer before, but she could be again. However, she was also in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which is getting a "meh" reception, though it does not sound like it is the cast's fault. So maybe you're right, Ms. Stewart might be the top contender.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram wrote
It also came out in many other countries, including Chile and Italy. I didn't like it.

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

DTLizard
oiram wrote
I think that one film may disqualify Mr. Travolta. Can't say for certain, but I highly doubt he'll be a nominee.

Kristen Stewart has been nominated for the Redeemer before, but she could be again. However, she was also in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which is getting a "meh" reception, though it does not sound like it is the cast's fault. So maybe you're right, Ms. Stewart might be the top contender.
I figured as much re: Travolta. He is filming a movie for 2017, if that turns out well, it might be enough to nominate him next year.

I had missed Kristen Stewart already being nominated in 2014... still, there's no reason why she can't be nominated again.

So I guess so far we have:
Salma Hayek
Peter Berg
Mel Gibson
Eddie Redmayne
Colin Farrell (depending on upcoming movie)
Jon Voight (depending on upcoming movie)
Kristen Stewart (has been nominated in 2014)

A lot of the movies these people are being considered redeemers for are from the last few months of this year. Any potential nominees from stuff earlier in the year?

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
DTLizard wrote
A lot of the movies these people are being considered redeemers for are from the last few months of this year. Any potential nominees from stuff earlier in the year?
Only one I can see as possible is Ben Kingsley for The Jungle Book, but he's got this movie next year called Collide. Saw the trailer for it, looks like a POS.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson could also be another one for Central Intelligence and Moana. However next year will see him starring in Baywatch and Jumanji, and both could go either way.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

Vits
Other possibilities:
-Ellen Degeneres: From MR. WRONG to FINDING NEMO and FINDING DORY.
-James Franco: From YOUR HIGHNESS to THE ICEMAN, SPRING BREAKERS, THIS IS THE END, PALO ALTO, I AM MICHAEL, GOAT, YOSEMITE, BURN COUNTRY and SAUSAGE PARTY (and maybe THE LITTLE PRINCE?)
-Mila Kunis: From JUPITER ASCENDING to BAD MOMS.
-Andy Samberg: From THAT'S MY BOY to CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS PART 2, STORKS and POPSTAR.

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
Vits wrote
Other possibilities:
-James Franco: From YOUR HIGHNESS to THE ICEMAN, SPRING BREAKERS, THIS IS THE END, PALO ALTO, I AM MICHAEL, GOAT, YOSEMITE, BURN COUNTRY and SAUSAGE PARTY (and maybe THE LITTLE PRINCE?)
That movie Why Him? may cost James the nomination.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

Ryan Austin
1. Skyler Page for getting fired at Cartoon Network Studios?

2. All the kids from "The Huntsman: Winter's War"

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

oiram
Ryan Austin wrote
1. Skyler Page for getting fired at Cartoon Network Studios?

2. All the kids from "The Huntsman: Winter's War"
1: That did not occur this year, and even if it did, what does it have to do with movies?

2. Didn't you want them nominated in the Worst Supporting categories?

The Redeemer award is for people who have been nominated for (and in some cases won) a Razzie or two and have since done better work in a separate year. Your suggestions do not match the criteria.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

Well, might as well be early and bring this up.

Even though this will not be fully released until next year, M. Night Shyamalan's Split is receiving early positive buzz. When I saw that it got a January release date, I thought "I had a feeling the 'comeback' would be short lived." Now it turns out that maybe he really is getting better again. We may have an early winner for the Redeemer award. Since it is not a true 2016 release, it won't count for this year, but it will certainly count for the next.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: Picks for Razzie Redeemer?

Vits
But Night was already nominated.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile