PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

oiram
THE FIFTH PIRATES MOVIE, AND ARE PEOPLE REALLY EXCITED ANYMORE? PEOPLE HAVE FELT THIS FRANCHISE HAS GOTTEN WORSE WITH EACH NEW INSTALLMENT, WITH THIS ONE NOW GETTING THE WORSE RECEPTION OF THE BUNCH. WE NOW SEE EVERY MAJOR CHARACTER FROM THE FIRST MOVIE RETURN, ALONG WITH CLONES OF ORLANDO BLOOM AND KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, THOSE BEING BRENTON THWAITES AND KAYA SCODELARIO. THE NEW VILLAIN IS OSCAR WINNER JAVIER BARDEM, WITH SOME PRETTY BAD CGI LAYED OVER THE ACTOR.

A LOT OF WHAT WAS SAD ABOUT THE MOVIE, LIKE IT WAS TOO OVER THE TOP, FELT LIKE A RETREAD, AND THE CHARACTERS DIFFERENT GROW MUCH, ARE ALL TRUE, BUT THE ONE THING TO FOCUS ON IS JOHNNY DEPP. NOT ONLY IS HE UNDER PRETTY HEAVY CONTROVERSY, BUT HE IS NOW A NOTICEABLE RAZZIE PERENNIAL, BEING NOMINATED 5 TIMES, 6 IF YOU COUNT HIS CAMEO IN JACK AND JILL. NOW HE IS STARRING IN THE FIFTH INSTALLMENT OF THE FRANCHISE THAT ARGUABLE MADE HIM A HOUSEHOLD NAME, AND PEOPLE ARE NOT ONLY GETTING SICK OF THE ACTOR, BUT ALSO THE JACK SPARROW CHARACTER. ALL THIS IN MIND MAKES ME THINK THAT WITH THIS NEW MOVIE, IT IS HIGH TIME FOR MR. DEPP TO GET HIS FIRST WORST ACTOR RAZZIE WIN.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? WOULD YOU LIKE TO FINALLY GIVE HIM THE WIN THAT WILL EVEN MAKE "DEAD MEN TELL TALES?"
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Vits
R.T. (30-35%): "It proves that neither a change in directors nor an undead Javier Bardem is enough to drain this sinking franchise's murky bilge."

Peter Travers's review.

Chris Bumbray's review.

Richard Roeper's video review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video review.

Chris Stuckmann's video review.

DOUBLE TOASTED's video review.

Tamara Chambers and Cody Melcher's video review.

Re: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Dun-Ida
Possible nominees:

Worst Supporting Actress
Kaya Scodelario
Her performance is insipid in some scenes.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel

Dishonorable mentions: Worst Picture. Brenton Thwaites, Worst Supporting Actor.

Re: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

CaptainMorgan
I had hopes for the Pirates newest offering. I was hoping it wouldn't be a zombie-esque resurrection of former jokes and situations.  I went in with no pre-conceived ideas or notions.  I also have to add that I USUALLY don't have an issue suspending disbelief...that being said...

The movie lost me within the first 5 minutes.  The whole "banksurfing" through the village had me rolling my eyes.  Within no time, I was asking several critical and totally salient questions such as "what's going on" and "what's happening now."

I'm usually not extremely critical of the cgi, but... in this case I do make an exception.  Most of the big effects were distressingly sub-par.  Bardem's "floaty hair" was acceptable but the damned dead sharks were a stretch!  Bardem's ship and the entire ending..ugh!  I don't think I'd have bought "young Jack Sparrow" any less if crappy CGI Grand Moff Tarkin had taken his place.

Overall not impressed.  But, as a ray of hope, we were treated to an end-credit setup for ANOTHER one.

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Vits
Yes, welcome.