Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

babyshowers
This post was updated on .
1980:
Popeye (not nominated at all) unstead of Cruising (only targated because of its edgy themes)
1981:
Heartbeeps instead of Heaven's Gate (only targeted because of its poor box office run)
1985:
Porky's Revenge (not nominated at all) instead of Rambo or Rocky (only targeted because of Stallone)
1987:
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (only three razzie nominations) instead of Who's That Girl? (only targeted because of Madonna)
1988:
Rent-a-Cop (only 2 noms) instead of Coctail (targeted for being a box office hit)
1989:
Wicked Stepmother (not nominated at all) instead of Locked up (only targeted because of Stallone)
1992:
Stop! of my mom will Shoot instead of Newsies (only nominated for its poor box office run)
Toys instead of Shining Through
1993:
Super Mario Bros. (not nominated at all which is unforgivable) instead of Last Action Hero (only targeted because of Arnold)
Boxing Helena (Worst Director winner, but fairly underrepresented at the 1993 razzies, it wouldn't look bad besides Body of Evidence, Sliver and Indecent Propostal) instead of Cliffhanger (only nominated because of Stallone, I'm surprised he didn't land worst actor for this)
1994:
Street Fighter (not nominated at all) instead of Wyatt Earp (only targeted because of Costner)
1996:
Bio-Dome (very underrepresented) instead of The Island of Dr. Moreau
1998:
Chairman of the Board instead of Godzilla
1999;
Baby Geniuses (how one of the worst films of all time get away with no Razzie noms is beyong me) instead of Blair Witch Project (only targeted because of its popularity)
Inspector Gadget instead of The Haunting
2000:
Dungeons & Dragons instead of The Next Best Thing (targeted only because of Madonna although Dungeons and Dragons received far worse reviews)
2001:
Town & Country instead of 3000 Miles to Graceland (targeted only because of Costner, although Town and Country flopped harder)
2002:
The Master of Disguise instead of Episode II (only Bo Derek was nominated in this movie that has a raiting even lower than all of the 2002's Worst Picture nominees on IMDB)
2003:
Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd instead of Charlies' Angels 2 (both are equally as bad, and The Real Cancun was a interesting choice, but to me Dumb and Dumberer takes the cake)
2005:
Alone in the Dark instead of House of Wax (only nominated because of Paris Hilton although the film is mediocre at worst. Alone in the dark, on the other hand...)
2007:
Epic Movie instead of Daddy's Day Camp
2008:
Twilight instead of The Happening
2009:
Dragon Ball: Evolution instead of GI Joe

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

oiram
Okay, only one I seriously disagree with is Twilight instead of The Happening.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

-1980: HERBIE GOES BANANAS instead of FRIDAY THE 13TH, THE JAZZ SINGER and XANADU.
-1984: 2010 THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT, PURPLE RAIN and RED DAWN instead of RHINESTONE.
-1985: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART V instead of RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II and ROCKY PART IV.
-1986: TOP GUN instead of HOWARD THE DUCK.
-1987: THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE instead of ISHTAR, JAWS PART 4 and WHO'S THAT GIRL.
-1988: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII and FRIGHT NIGHT PART 2 instead of COCKTAIL and RAMBO PART III.
-1989: 007 LICENCE TO KILL instead of THE KARATE KID PART III.
-1990: THE EXORCIST PART III instead of ROCKY PART V.

-1993: HOT SHOTS PART DEUX instead of BODY OF EVIDENCE, INDICENT PROPOSAL, LAST ACTION HERO and SLIVER.
-1994: BABY'S DAY OUT instead of COLOR OF NIGHT and WYATT EARP.

-1996: BIO-DOME and SPY HARD instead of THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU.
-1997: MR. MAGOO instead of ANACONDA, THE POSTMAN and SPEED PART 2.

-1999: BABY GENIUSES and THE UNDERGROUND COMEDY MOVIE instead of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, THE HAUNTING, STAR WARS EPISODE I and WILD WILD WEST.
-2000: 3 STRIKES, HANGING UP and ROMEO MUST DIE instead of BATTLEFIELD EARTH, BOOK OF SHADOWS BLAIR WITCH 2, LITTLE NICKY and THE NEXT BEST THING.
-2001: HANNIBAL and JASON X instead of 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND, FREDDY GOT FINGERED, GLITTER and PEARL HARBOR.
-2002: BEN & ARTHUR, POSSESSION, QUEEN OF THE DAMNED and ROLLERBALL instead of THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH, STAR WARS EPISODE II and SWEPT AWAY.
-2003: THE BROWN BUNNY and HOUSE OF THE DEAD instead of all the nominees.

-2005: DOMINION PREQUEL TO THE EXORCIST, THE FOG, THE LONGEST YARD, SUPERCROSS and XXX PART 2 instead of all the nominees.
-2006: UNDERWORLD PART 2 instead of LADY IN THE WATER, LITTLE MAN and THE WICKER MAN.
-2007: CAPTIVITY, THE COMEBACKS, THE HILLS HAVE EYES PART 2, MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS and P2 instead of all the nominees.
-2008: BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA, CHE PART 2, ONE MISSED CALL, PUNISHER WAR ZONE and SEMI-PRO instead of all the nominees.
-2009: THE LIMITS OF CONTROL and UNDERWORLD PART 3 instead of all the nominees.
-2010: FURRY VENGEANCE, LEAP YEAR and TAKERS instead of all the nominees.
-2011: BATTLE LOS ANGELES, COWBOYS AND ALIENS, KILLER ELITE, SANCTUM and SEASON OF THE WITCH instead of all the nominees.
-2012: FOODFIGHT, GHOST RIDER PART 2, GONE, THE LUCKY ONE, ONE FOR THE MONEY, UNDERWORLD PART 4 and WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING instead of 1000 WORDS, BREAKING DAWN PART 2, THE OOGIELOVES and THAT'S MY BOY.
-2013: A HAUNTED HOUSE, IN-APP-ROPRIATE COMEDY, THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, PLANES, RUNNER RUNNER and THE SMURFS PART 2 instead of AFTER EARTH, THE LONE RANGER and MOVIE 43.
-2014: AS ABOVE SO BELOW, DRACULA UNTOLD, A HAUNTED HOUSE PART 2, I FRANKENSTEIN, IF I STAY, THE NUT JOB, OUIJA and PLANES PART 2 instead of LEFT BEHIND, THE LEGEND OF HERCULES, NINJA TURTLES and TRANSFORMERS PART 4.
-2015: DO YOU BELIEVE? and MORTDECAI instead of all the nominees.
-2016: 50 SHADES OF BLACK, THE BOSS and MASTERMINDS instead of BATMAN V SUPERMAN, DIRTY GRANDPA, GODS OF EGYPT, INDEPENDENCE DAY PART 2 and ZOOLANDER PART 2.

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

oiram
Vits wrote
-2003: THE BROWN BUNNY and HOUSE OF THE DEAD instead of all the nominees.
No The Room?

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

Vits
All of my suggestions were for movies I gave a 0 to. I gave THE ROOM and a lot of the actual nominees a 1.

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

#resistrazzmindset
NO WAY was Purple Rain one of the Worst Movies of 1984, esp. compared to such problematic crap as Sixteen Candles, Blame it on Rio, and Revenge of the Nerds...

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

You group the popular, acclaimed Sixteen Candles AND Revenge of the Nerds in with Blame It On Rio?!

To Vits: I'm profoundly shocked you wouldn't have voted for Xanadu, Rhinestone, Howard the Duck, Jaws: The Revenge, Ishtar, The Karate Kid Part III, The Postman, or Speed 2: Cruise Control, Wild Wild West, Battlefield Earth, or Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Freddy Got Fingered, Glitter, Swept Away, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Gigli, The Cat In The Hat, From Justin to Kelly, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, Son of the Mask, The Dukes of Hazzard, I Know Who Killed Me, In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, Disaster Movie, The Last Airbender, Jack and Jill, or Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, That's My Boy, A Thousand Words, Movie 43, After Earth, The Legend of Hercules, Fant4stic, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, or Dirty Grandpa for Worst Picture.

As for me...

1980: Caligula originally played either in limited release or abroad in 1979 before its American wide release opening in February of 1980. Otherwise, I would've voted for it over the original Friday the 13th if I would've been alive back then. Instead, I would've voted for The Blue Lagoon.

1981: No objection here.

1982: I wouldn't have voted for the original Annie. I would've been unable to decide between Amityville II: The Possession, Death Wish II, Monsignor, Friday the 13th Part III, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

1983: All 5 finalists would've deserved to win the Worst Picture semifinals if there were more slots, but I would've voted for Staying Alive over Two of a Kind.

1984: No objection here.

1985: Either Red Sonja or Gymkata should've beaten Year of the Dragon in the semifinals.

1986: Little or no objection here.

1987: All 5 finalists would've deserved it in a 10-entrant race, but Superman IV: The Quest For Peace and The Garbage Pail Kids' Movie deserved it more than Tough Guys Don't Dance or Who's That Girl?.

1988: Rambo III deserved to win the semifinals in some other categories, but either Rent-a-Cop or Arthur 2: On the Rocks deserved a Worst Picture nomination more.

1989: Lock-Up deserved some of its other nominations, but not Worst Picture. I can't decide whether Her Alibi or She's Out Of Control deserved it more.

1990: Little or no objection here.

1991: Little or no objection here.

1992: Of all Sylvester Stallone-involved movies, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! deserved a Worst Picture nomination the most! How the (censored) did it get beaten by The Bodyguard in the Worst Picture semifinals?

1993: It seems like Super Mario Bros lost badly in the semifinals across the board. I'm flat-out appalled in hindisght that it got beaten by Cliffhanger in the Worst Picture semifinals!

1994: Wyatt Earp did not deserve the Worst Picture finals at all. I probably would've voted for Getting Even With Dad over it.

1995: Waterworld, in hindsight, was merely average. I can't decide if Judge Dredd or Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde deserved it more.

1996: The Island of Dr. Moreau and Barb Wire would've fit better in a 10-entrant race. Bio-Dome and Mr. Wrong should've won the semifinals.

1997: Anaconda, in hindsight, only deserved other nominations besides Worst Picture, and in fact it wasn't as bad as the sequel, Hunt For the Blood Orchid, which I can only assume faced heavier competition. Besides quarterfinalists like Gone Fishin' and a remake of That Darn Cat, I would've thought Kenneth Johnson's version of Steel would've been a solid replacement, pun not intended.

1998: Armageddon was NOT as bad as Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer get, even though it did foreshadow their far worse futures. I would've voted for Chairman of the Board or some quarterfinalists like Mr. Magoo, The Odd Couple II, or Species II over both Armageddon and Spice World. Of course, the Spice Girls were part of an infamous fad.

1999: This is the year that, with minimal doubt, had the only Worst Picture lineup more ill-deserved than 1993. Big Daddy was average, The Phantom Menace had about an even distribution of good, neutral, and negative reactions, and The Blair Witch Project would've been one of the scariest found footage film ever, if it hadn't gotten backlash against it over that hoax's exposure. Any three of these four would've been suitable replacements: Baby Geniuses, Wing Commander, 8MM, and Inspector Gadget.

2000: Though Little Nicky set a new low for Adam Sandler that autumn, it didn't deserve to beat Dungeons & Dragons or Highlander: Endgame in so many categories' semifinals, let alone Worst Picture.

2001: Pearl Harbor demonstrated Michael Bay's questionable understanding of history and inordinate emphasis on special effect, and while I concur it was way worse than Armageddon, it didn't deserve to beat Town & Country AND Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles in the Worst Picture semifinals.

2002: This is where I start to really complain with regards to the New Millennium. The blown love story between Anakin and Amidala, and the failed chemistry between Hayden and Portman were the ONLY problem with Attack of the Clones that it deserved any attention from the RAZZIES for, and it should've been for Worst Couple at most. Other than that, you can't say anything good about the Rollerball remake, Half Past Dead, The Master of Disguise, Queen of the Damned, Halloween: Resurrection, or Slackers that you could give credit to Attack of the Clones for. When it comes to the Quarterfinals, archive.org's list of RAZZIE contenders for 2002 shows that Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever was not even considered, even though Lucy Liu co-starred in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle the very next year! Go figure!!!

2003: While The Real Cancun and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle deserved attention from the RAZZIES, they shouldn't have beaten Dumb and Dumber'er: When Harry Met Lloyd and House of the Dead in the Worst Picture semifinals.

2004: I'm more worried about other categories besides Worst Picture when it comes to this year. Van Helsing, The Punisher remake, Christmas With the Kranks, Thunderbirds, and Exorcist: The Beginning would've rounded out an ideal 10-contestant finals race.

2005: This is another year that deserved a 10-contestant Worst Picture final. I would've rounded it out with Alone in the Dark, Cheaper By the Dozen 2, The Fog remake, Elektra, and The Amityville Horror remake.

2006: Though Lady in the Water was easily bad enough for the Bottom 40 Films of '006, I fail to see how it deserved to beat all of Deck the Halls, The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, Date Movie, Crossover, Ultraviolet, the Black X-Mas remake, The Grudge 2, Let's Go to Prison, The Rise of Taj, See No Evil, and the When a Stranger Calls remake in both the Worst Picture semifinals and quarterfinals!

2007: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry deserved some RAZZIE nominations, but it shouldn't have beaten all of Epic Movie, Are We Done Yet?, AVP: Requiem, Captivity, and Who's Your Caddy? in the Worst Picture semifinals, let alone quarterfinals in some of those cases.

2008: All 6 finalists deserved it, but this was our richest vein for competitors ever! I remember how frustrated the GRAF was with slapped-together remakes of Asian horror films, including One Missed Call and Mirrors, neither of which won the RAZZIE semifinals, Saw V turned out to be the second worse behind Saw VII 3D, and we were even more furious with Seltzerberg-style spoofs like Superhero Movie (which was instead directed by one Craig Mazin!), but Roland Emmerich's 10,000 BC was a force to be reckoned with in the quarterfinals, and overall it was arguably the worst year ever in Hollywood history.

2009: Rather than GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra (which probably shared more similarities to Revenge of the Fallen and rode Hasbro's coattails into the Worst Picture finals) Dragonball: Evolution should've had more competitive edge in the RAZZIEs, and so should've Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. If I would've known what I know today, I also would've considered voting for The Ugly Truth, Year One, the Friday the 13th remake, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, and the Halloween II remake for Worst Picture among other categories.

2010: This was my second huge grievance. I know there were some bad principles surrounding The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, including how fast it was getting old when 3 of them were released within a span of less than 20 months, and how dry the franchise's hopes of recruiting new fans is (if you never were a fan before, you probably never will be!), but it was an improvement over New Moon, AND got average reviews across the board, so it really shouldn't have beaten Jonah Hex and Robert Luketic's Killers in the Worst Picture semifinals, or swept the semifinals at the cost of shutting out Resident Evil: Afterlife, Skyline, My Soul to Take, Furry Vengeance, Legion, or the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake.

2011: Though Transformers and Twilight were leading the Tween years with regards to particularly ill-deserved box office success, they only deserved up to 3 nominations each. I don't see how Dark of the Moon, clearly the lesser of two evils compared to Revenge of the Fallen, deserved to beat Dominic Sena's Season of the Witch, Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, The Smurfs, The Roommate, Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Shark Night 3D, and Red Riding Hood in the Worst Picture semifinals.

2012: Arguably the most ill-deserved Worst Picture victory ever! What about One For the Money, the Red Dawn remake, Piranha 3DD, William Brent Bell's The Devil Inside, Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, The Apparition, or even The Cold Light of Day?

2013: The Lone Ranger '013 got much worse reviews than the previous year's John Carter, and lost at least the same amount at the box office, and indeed deserved a few nominations, but any one of Stephanie Meyer's The Host, A Good Day to Die Hard, 47 Ronin '013, RIPD, Robert Luketic's Paranoia, InAPPropriate Comedy, Courtney Solomon's Getaway, Battle of the Year, and even The Big Wedding deserved to beat it in the Worst Picture semifinals.

2014: While I concur that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '014 would've deserved a Worst Picture nomination in a 10-entrant race, and deserved most other nominations it got, the remake of Endless Love deserved a Worst Picture nomination as much as the 1981 original, the remake of Annie would've fit better than either TMNT '014 in that year or the original Annie in 1982, and even I, Frankenstein, A Haunted House 2, the original Ouija, and Devil's Due were worse.

2015: Jupiter Ascending deserved most other RAZZIE nominations it got, including its Worst Supporting Actor victory, but The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence), The Boy Next Door, Tak3n, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, Hitman: Agent 47, and Fletcher's version of Hot Pursuit would've rounded out a 10-entrant Worst Picture final without Jupiter Ascending.

2016: Worst Supporting Actor for Eisenberg as Luthor was well deserved, but other than that, I can understand how a lot of people say Dawn of Justice got RAZZED a little too much. I can't understand how Nine Lives got shut out in the Semifinals.

Re: Movies you wished were nominated for Worst Picture (but weren't)

Vits
#resistrazzmindset wrote
NO WAY was Purple Rain one of the Worst Movies of 1984, esp. compared to such problematic crap as Sixteen Candles, Blame it on Rio, and Revenge of the Nerds...
1) I think it's one of the worst movies of all time (and so is its sequel).
2) I liked 16 CANDLES and REVENGE OF THE NERDS is a guilty pleasure.
GTAHater wrote
To Vits: I'm profoundly shocked you wouldn't have voted for Xanadu, Rhinestone, Howard the Duck, Jaws: The Revenge, Ishtar, The Karate Kid Part III, The Postman, or Speed 2: Cruise Control, Wild Wild West, Battlefield Earth, or Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Freddy Got Fingered, Glitter, Swept Away, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Gigli, The Cat In The Hat, From Justin to Kelly, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, Son of the Mask, The Dukes of Hazzard, I Know Who Killed Me, In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, Disaster Movie, The Last Airbender, Jack and Jill, or Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, That's My Boy, A Thousand Words, Movie 43, After Earth, The Legend of Hercules, Fant4stic, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, or Dirty Grandpa for Worst Picture.
Dammit! I wrote BATTLEFIELD EARTH by mistake. I think it deserved its win. As I told Oiram, my priority in this... "game" are movies I gave a 0 to. Most of the movies you just listed I gave a 1 to. I do agree with their nominations and wins, but I felt there were worse movies.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile