Quantcast

MAN DOWN

GTAHater
A SOLID YEAR AND A QUARTER HAS PASSED SINCE SHIA LABOEUF, THE STAR OF WORST PICTURE CHAMPION TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, GOT HIS NEXT FILM AFTER DAVID AYER’S FURY (TOP 40 FILMS OF ‘014) SCREENED AT THE VENICE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL. IT’S A SUPPOSED WAR THRILLER DIRECTED BY A LIMITED RELEASE AUTEUR NAMED DITO MONTIEL, AND WE’VE ENDED UP WITH HIS 2ND WORST FILM NEXT TO “THE SON OF NO-ONE”, WHICH WAS STRANGELY DISQUALIFIED FROM BEING BUNDLED WITH TWO OTHER FILMS FOR KATIE HOLMES’ NOMINATION FOR ONE OF THE ACTING CATEGORIES IN THE WORST OF ‘011 RAZZIES.

THE FILM IN QUESTION IS NAMED AFTER A TERM FOR AN ALLY GETTING KILLED IN ACTION: “MAN DOWN”. LABOEUF STARS AS A US MARINE RETURNING FROM A TOUR IN AFGHANISTAN TO A ROUGH NEIGHBORHOOD HE CALLS HOME. ALREADY FACING AN INTERNAL BATTLE WITH WAR TRAUMA, HIS WIFE AND ESTRANGED SON HAVE GONE MISSING, BUT LUCKILY HIS BEST FRIEND, PLAYED BY JAI COURTNEY (ALREADY A WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR QUARTERFINALIST FOR SUICIDE SQUAD) JOINS THE SEARCH. THIS FRIEND’S FIRST INSTINCT DURING HIS TOUR OF DUTY WAS A TRIGGER-HAPPY STRATEGY, BUT HE FINALLY PUTS BRAINS TO USE WHEN THEY INTERCEPT A PERSON OF INTEREST WHO HOLDS THE HOTTEST LEAD IN THE MYSTERY. AND DID I MENTION IT STARS GARY “SIRIUS BLACK” OLDMAN, ANOTHER WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR QUARTERFINALIST ALBEIT FOR ARIEL VROMEN’S “CRIMINAL”?

DESPITE SCORING A SOLID “A” SO FAR ON THE FLIXSTER POPCORN BUCKET, PRO CRITIC REVIEWS WERE EVEN WORSE THAN “INCARNATE” THIS WEEKEND, AND IT’S HARD TO DECIDE WHICH ONE TO HATE MORE. SURE, CRITICS REALIZE IT HAD GOOD INTENTIONS AND A HIGH HOPE OF MAKING A GOOD EXPLORATION OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS RELATED TO MECHANIZED WARFARE, AND SHIA LABOEUF ACTUALLY GIVES A GREAT PERFORMANCE WHICH A FILM THIS GLOOMY AND UNSUBTLE DOESN’T DESERVE, BUT THE CREW MADE TOO MANY MISTAKES WITH THE SCRIPT AND PRESENTATION. IT GETS DROWNED IN MELANCHOLY AIR AND SENTIMENTAL SAP. WORSE, THE SCRIPT FAILS MISERABLY TO BALANCE VISCERAL REAL-LIFE IMPORTANT TOPIC DRAMA WITH ENTERTAINMENT, AND BY IMPLEMENTING TRICKY VISUALS, THE CAMERA EDITING TEAM DROVE ANOTHER NAIL INTO THAT COFFIN.

I’M ONLY CONVINCED TO CONSIDER IT FOR WORST SCREENPLAY, WORST DIRECTOR, AND PERHAPS WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR, BUT ENOUGH FROM ME. COME ON DOWN AND MAKE SHORT WORK OF “MAN DOWN” BELOW!

Re: MAN DOWN

oiram
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo) depending on how upcoming movies do, specifically Office Christmas Party, Solace, Assassin's Creed and Why Him?
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: MAN DOWN

GTAHater
Ummm... about Alfonso Poyart's Solace. Poyart only has one other film on his resume, and it's a foreign-language film with a C Minus approval rating. The review scores for Solace are somewhere between William Brent Bell's The Boy and Suicide Squad, so I don't know how much Solace will stand out, which could be important since Solace is a limited release. Here's the worst of what the cast's been in:

Anthony Hopkins
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Bottom 40 Films of '000, #19
*Alexander. Bottom 40 Films of '004, #3
*All the King's Men. Dishonorable Mention in '006
*The Wolfman [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '010, #38
*The Rite. Bottom 40 Films of '011, #29

Jeffrey Dean Morgan
*PS I Love You. Dishonorable Mention in '007
*Jonah Hex. Bottom 40 Films of '010, #6
*The Possession. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #36
*Red Dawn [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #9
*Shanghai. Dishonorable Mention in '015, but would've easily made a Bottom 70 list if it went that long.

Colin Farrell
*Daredevil. Bottom 40 Films of '003, #14
*Alexander. Bottom 40 Films of '004, #3
*Total Recall [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #17
*Winter's Tale. Bottom 40 Films of '014, #22

Abbie Cornish
*Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Dishonorable Mention in '007. If the list would've been longer, it might've been #70
*Sucker Punch. Bottom 40 Films of '011, #31
*Madonna's W./E. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #35

Marley Shelton
*Bubble Boy. Bottom 40 Films of '001, #30
*American Dreamz. Dishonorable Mention in '006

Janine Turner
*Tai-Pan. One of the 15 most important RAZZIE Classics of '986

I don't know how much that's worth in RAZZIE Pedigree. Overall, I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning against considering Alfonso Poyart's Solace because there are so many more severe critical failures that played in so many more theatres.

Re: MAN DOWN

Richard Roeper's review.

Chris Bumbray's review.

Eric Walkuski's review.
oiram wrote
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo)

Re: MAN DOWN

GTAHater wrote
[...]

I am mainly considering it because of the fact that the screenplay for the movie was originally going to be a sequel to Se7en, but they scrapped that idea, so now it's this, a critical panned movie that took it's time getting to the USA like Case 39. It is kind of similar to how the Razzie winning Bio-Dome was originally written as a Bill and Ted movie, but then they changed it to what it is now.

Also don't forget that the film's biggest names, Hopkins and Farrell, have both been nominated for Razzies; Farrell for the aforementioned Alexander, and Hopkins all the way back to the Razzies' first ceremony for A Change of Seasons.

Vits wrote
oiram wrote
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo)
You gotta admit, Vits, Shia has done some odd things in the past few years.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: MAN DOWN

Vits
Oh, that emoji didn't mean that I disagree with you. I'm just not used to seeing you insult someone that way.

Re: MAN DOWN

oiram
Vits wrote
Oh, that emoji didn't mean that I disagree with you. I'm just not used to seeing you insult someone that way.
Okay, maybe I went a little too far without realizing it.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: MAN DOWN

Vits
No, I meant that it was surprising, not that it was wrong.