MAN DOWN

GTAHater
A SOLID YEAR AND A QUARTER HAS PASSED SINCE SHIA LABOEUF, THE STAR OF WORST PICTURE CHAMPION TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, GOT HIS NEXT FILM AFTER DAVID AYER’S FURY (TOP 40 FILMS OF ‘014) SCREENED AT THE VENICE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL. IT’S A SUPPOSED WAR THRILLER DIRECTED BY A LIMITED RELEASE AUTEUR NAMED DITO MONTIEL, AND WE’VE ENDED UP WITH HIS 2ND WORST FILM NEXT TO “THE SON OF NO-ONE”, WHICH WAS STRANGELY DISQUALIFIED FROM BEING BUNDLED WITH TWO OTHER FILMS FOR KATIE HOLMES’ NOMINATION FOR ONE OF THE ACTING CATEGORIES IN THE WORST OF ‘011 RAZZIES.

THE FILM IN QUESTION IS NAMED AFTER A TERM FOR AN ALLY GETTING KILLED IN ACTION: “MAN DOWN”. LABOEUF STARS AS A US MARINE RETURNING FROM A TOUR IN AFGHANISTAN TO A ROUGH NEIGHBORHOOD HE CALLS HOME. ALREADY FACING AN INTERNAL BATTLE WITH WAR TRAUMA, HIS WIFE AND ESTRANGED SON HAVE GONE MISSING, BUT LUCKILY HIS BEST FRIEND, PLAYED BY JAI COURTNEY (ALREADY A WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR QUARTERFINALIST FOR SUICIDE SQUAD) JOINS THE SEARCH. THIS FRIEND’S FIRST INSTINCT DURING HIS TOUR OF DUTY WAS A TRIGGER-HAPPY STRATEGY, BUT HE FINALLY PUTS BRAINS TO USE WHEN THEY INTERCEPT A PERSON OF INTEREST WHO HOLDS THE HOTTEST LEAD IN THE MYSTERY. AND DID I MENTION IT STARS GARY “SIRIUS BLACK” OLDMAN, ANOTHER WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR QUARTERFINALIST ALBEIT FOR ARIEL VROMEN’S “CRIMINAL”?

DESPITE SCORING A SOLID “A” SO FAR ON THE FLIXSTER POPCORN BUCKET, PRO CRITIC REVIEWS WERE EVEN WORSE THAN “INCARNATE” THIS WEEKEND, AND IT’S HARD TO DECIDE WHICH ONE TO HATE MORE. SURE, CRITICS REALIZE IT HAD GOOD INTENTIONS AND A HIGH HOPE OF MAKING A GOOD EXPLORATION OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS RELATED TO MECHANIZED WARFARE, AND SHIA LABOEUF ACTUALLY GIVES A GREAT PERFORMANCE WHICH A FILM THIS GLOOMY AND UNSUBTLE DOESN’T DESERVE, BUT THE CREW MADE TOO MANY MISTAKES WITH THE SCRIPT AND PRESENTATION. IT GETS DROWNED IN MELANCHOLY AIR AND SENTIMENTAL SAP. WORSE, THE SCRIPT FAILS MISERABLY TO BALANCE VISCERAL REAL-LIFE IMPORTANT TOPIC DRAMA WITH ENTERTAINMENT, AND BY IMPLEMENTING TRICKY VISUALS, THE CAMERA EDITING TEAM DROVE ANOTHER NAIL INTO THAT COFFIN.

I’M ONLY CONVINCED TO CONSIDER IT FOR WORST SCREENPLAY, WORST DIRECTOR, AND PERHAPS WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR, BUT ENOUGH FROM ME. COME ON DOWN AND MAKE SHORT WORK OF “MAN DOWN” BELOW!

Re: MAN DOWN

oiram
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo) depending on how upcoming movies do, specifically Office Christmas Party, Solace, Assassin's Creed and Why Him?
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: MAN DOWN

GTAHater
Ummm... about Alfonso Poyart's Solace. Poyart only has one other film on his resume, and it's a foreign-language film with a C Minus approval rating. The review scores for Solace are somewhere between William Brent Bell's The Boy and Suicide Squad, so I don't know how much Solace will stand out, which could be important since Solace is a limited release. Here's the worst of what the cast's been in:

Anthony Hopkins
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Bottom 40 Films of '000, #19
*Alexander. Bottom 40 Films of '004, #3
*All the King's Men. Dishonorable Mention in '006
*The Wolfman [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '010, #38
*The Rite. Bottom 40 Films of '011, #29

Jeffrey Dean Morgan
*PS I Love You. Dishonorable Mention in '007
*Jonah Hex. Bottom 40 Films of '010, #6
*The Possession. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #36
*Red Dawn [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #9
*Shanghai. Dishonorable Mention in '015, but would've easily made a Bottom 70 list if it went that long.

Colin Farrell
*Daredevil. Bottom 40 Films of '003, #14
*Alexander. Bottom 40 Films of '004, #3
*Total Recall [remake]. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #17
*Winter's Tale. Bottom 40 Films of '014, #22

Abbie Cornish
*Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Dishonorable Mention in '007. If the list would've been longer, it might've been #70
*Sucker Punch. Bottom 40 Films of '011, #31
*Madonna's W./E. Bottom 40 Films of '012, #35

Marley Shelton
*Bubble Boy. Bottom 40 Films of '001, #30
*American Dreamz. Dishonorable Mention in '006

Janine Turner
*Tai-Pan. One of the 15 most important RAZZIE Classics of '986

I don't know how much that's worth in RAZZIE Pedigree. Overall, I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning against considering Alfonso Poyart's Solace because there are so many more severe critical failures that played in so many more theatres.

Re: MAN DOWN

Richard Roeper's review.

Chris Bumbray's review.

Eric Walkuski's review.
oiram wrote
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo)

Re: MAN DOWN

GTAHater wrote
[...]

I am mainly considering it because of the fact that the screenplay for the movie was originally going to be a sequel to Se7en, but they scrapped that idea, so now it's this, a critical panned movie that took it's time getting to the USA like Case 39. It is kind of similar to how the Razzie winning Bio-Dome was originally written as a Bill and Ted movie, but then they changed it to what it is now.

Also don't forget that the film's biggest names, Hopkins and Farrell, have both been nominated for Razzies; Farrell for the aforementioned Alexander, and Hopkins all the way back to the Razzies' first ceremony for A Change of Seasons.

Vits wrote
oiram wrote
I was considering Shia for Worst Actor, but I am willing to let him slide (despite being a crazy mofo)
You gotta admit, Vits, Shia has done some odd things in the past few years.
[...]

Vits
Oh, that emoji didn't mean that I disagree with you. I'm just not used to seeing you insult someone that way.

Re: MAN DOWN

oiram
Vits wrote
Oh, that emoji didn't mean that I disagree with you. I'm just not used to seeing you insult someone that way.
Okay, maybe I went a little too far without realizing it.
[...]

No, I meant that it was surprising, not that it was wrong.