Quantcast

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

GTAHater
REMEMBER THE “NEIGHBORS” SERIES FROM THE MIDDLE OF THIS DECADE? QUIRKY NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBORS AND NEW FAMILIES MOVING IN AND SHAKING THE SURROUNDING FAMILIES’ LIVES UP, ARE SOMEWHAT OF A CLICHÉ IN COMEDIC CINEMA, BUT CAN STILL OCCASIONALLY BE ADAPTED INTO SOMETHING WORTH CONSIDERING. BUT USUALLY, SUCH AS IN THE 2010 RAZZIE FINALIST “THE SPY NEXT DOOR”, THINGS GO AS HORRIBLY WRONG AS WE AT THE RAZZIES HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM NEW MILLENNIUM HOLLYWOOD. THE MOTIF OF SPIES NEXT DOOR CONTINUES IN OUR PAINFULLY LAUGH-FREE 2ND WORST NEW FILM OF THE WEEK, A FILM NAMED AFTER A PHRASE ABOUT BOURGEOISIE CULTURE, “KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES”.

INSTEAD OF COMPETING TO MATCH THEIR NEIGHBORS WITH THE LATEST AND GREATEST TECHNOLOGY AND HOUSEHOLD MODELING, JEFF AND KAREN GAFFNEY (GALIFIANAKIS AND ISLA FISHER) GET DRAGGED INTO A PLANETARY ESPIONAGE CRISIS, WHEN THEY QUICKLY CATCH ONTO THE JONES FAMILY’S SECRET DOUBLE LIVES AS FEDERAL SPIES. THE PLOT IS BEING KEPT UNDER WRAPS FOR A WHILE, AT LEAST FOR THE OPENING WEEKEND, SO I CAN’T DESCRIBE MUCH PLOT, BUT CRITICS COMPLAIN OF MANY THINGS AS USUAL. NOT ONLY TOILET HUMOR, BUT TORTURE JOKES THAT DON’T HAVE THE BITING, SATIRICAL EDGE OF “PARTY IN THE C.I.A.”, IT’S AS MUCH A STUDIO PREFABRICATION AS LAST MONTH’S “WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS”, ITS DEPICTION OF THE WORLD IS FAR OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REALITY OF HUMAN STRUGGLES IN AMERICA, THE ENSEMBLE CAST IS BLOWN ON AN UNFUNNY SCRIPT WITH JOKES THAT’VE BEEN HACKNEYED FOR DECADES, IT’S AMONG THE MOST GENERIC AND DEVOID-OF-STAYING-POWER FILMS OF THE YEAR, AND “KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES” IS SOMEWHAT OF A MISNOMER BECAUSE IT CAN’T KEEP UP WITH A SINGLE RUDIMENTARY HOLLYWOOD STANDARD.

DOES IT STAND A CHANCE AT THE RAZZIES, SUCH AS ANOTHER FILM ON GAL GADOT’S WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS NOMINATION? PACK UP AND MOVE AWAY FROM THE JONESES TO THE RAZZBERRY FIELDS OF NOWHERESVILLE BELOW!

Re: KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

Vits
R.T. (15-20%): "It squanders a decent premise -- and a talented cast full of funny people -- on a witless and largely laugh-free suburban spy adventure."

Chris Bumbray's review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video review.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

On the Gal Gadot question, I would say yes. She has three potential films, four if you count Triple 9, and one of those films was notoriously disappointing.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

oiram
Also, maybe Zach Galifianakis can get a Worst Actor nom for both this and Masterminds.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

Dun-Ida
I just saw this movie. Here are my suggestions.

Worst Picture

Dishonorable mentions: Greg Mottola, Worst Director. Michael LeSieur, Worst Screenplay.

Re: KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

Dun-Ida
Review on Breaking Banter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRiQaJ1A1g