Quantcast

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

GTAHater
EVEN THE 3/5 OF CRITICS AND MANY MORE COMMON PEOPLE WHO ENJOYED THE FIRST INDEPENDENCE DAY FROM THE SUMMER OF 1996 (2 DECADES AGO!) HAVE CONCEDED THAT, WHILE AN ICONIC POPCORN FLICK, MANY ELEMENTS ARE CORNY, WHICH ALSO EXPLAINS WHY I COULDN’T GIVE IT ANY HIGHER THAN MY OPENING RANKING AT #40 ON THE RETRO TOP 40 MOVIES OF ‘996. FOR THE LAST 2 DECADES, HOLLYWOOD HAS DELIBERATED OVER A SEQUEL, AND JUST IN TIME FOR THE MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY, IT ALL GETS BLOWN. MUCH OF THE CAST, INCLUDING JEFF GOLDBLUM, RETURNS, BUT WILL SMITH COULDN’T SIGN ON. HE MUST HAVE LET HIS FAR LESS DISTINGUSHIED SON SCRAPE UP THE MESS.

EARTH HAS COLLECTED THE REMAINS OF THE ALIEN TECHNOLOGY TO INTEGRATE INTO OUR OWN WEAPONRY, HOPING TO BETTER BE ARMED AGAINST A BIGGER, BUT NOT BETTER, INVASION. THIS NEW SPACE SHIP IS ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES! UNFORTUNATELY, IT SEEMS TO BE MISSING ABOUT HALF THE EXHILIRATING ACTION OF THE FIRST, APPARENTLY REPLACED WITH MORE TALKING AND OVER-THE-TOP VOICE WORK. WITHOUT THE ELDER SMITH’S CHARISMA, WHAT DOES RESURGENCE HAVE LEFT TO OFFER?

CAN YOU MAKE MORE CONVINCING ARGUMENTS WHY THIS SHOULD COMPETE FOR OUR WORST OF 2016 AWARDS, PARTICULARLY THE DENSELY-CROWDED WORST PREQUEL OR SEQUEL CATEGORY? SEND INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE GOING UP IN FIREWORK FLAMES BELOW!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

R.T. (30-35%): "It's undeniably visually impressive, but like its predecessor, the film lacks enough emotional heft to support its end-of-the-world narrative stakes."

Andrés Nazarala R. (2/7): "The biggest problem here doesn't seem to be Emmerich's usual effectism, but the consequences of his excesses. The mistake of turning a potential entertainment into a session of over-stimulation that lead to numbness. IDEAL FOR: Blockbusters devourers."

Gabriel Bahamondes (2/6): "It's true that Emmerich's flicks' typical spectacle is present. The problem is that the visual impact isn't enough to carry a movie that's 2 hours long and that has so many characters interconnected. How about the 3D effects? Nothing out of this world."

Diego Muñoz (2/5): "The script is a mess on a scale as big as the disasters in the movie, because it unsuccessfully tries to mix heroism, humour and genocide, failing in its attemps to excite with affections and patroitism. But, it must be said, between all the faux pas there's a movie full of fun moments that struggle between guilty pleasure and shame, and that seems proud to be that way. So we better not take it seriously and just laugh."

Peter Travers's review.

Eric Walkuski's review.

Richard Roeper's video review.

Jeremy Jahns's video review.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Dun-Ida
Here are my suggested nominations:

Worst Picture
A combination of weak characters and a story that seems to go everywhere are the main reasons for consideration for this category.

Worst Supporting Actor
Nicolas Wright. His tedious performance makes him a poor comic-relief.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel

Dishonorable mentions:
Roland Emmerich, Worst Director. Nicolas Wright, James A. Woods, Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich and James Vanderbilt, Worst Screenplay.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

oiram
Okay, since Robert Loggia managed to film a small part in this movie before he died, that means, for me at least, that it shouldn't be considered for Worst Screen Ensemble. Worst Screen Couple is still possible, though.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Razz E. Hader
I say it should be up for EVERY category eligible! Much like last year's giant turd from Roland Emmerpoorintalent (Stonewall) should have been... #razziesdroppedtheballagain
Aubrey Plaza in Dirty Grandpa > Nicole Kidman in Lion...PROVE ME WRONG, Razzie B1tch@s!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
Oh, and maybe:
-Worst Supporting Actress for Maika Monroe (also for THE 5TH WAVE).
-Worst Picture.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Risikostreuung
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Picture.

I liked Independence Day a lot for what it was, but IP: Resurgence is so bad, it hurt my eyes watching it.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Dun-Ida
Review from JTE Movie Thinks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nRxb0jdMY

Everything wrong with this movie.

Alex Maidy defends this movie.

So Sela Ward gets nominated for Worst Supporting Actress INSTEAD of Maika Monroe (also awful in The 5th Wave)??? #howaboutwatchingthemovievoters
Aubrey Plaza in Dirty Grandpa > Nicole Kidman in Lion...PROVE ME WRONG, Razzie B1tch@s!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

moviecritic1994
IDR is one of the most "Been there, Done that" movies I've ever watched. I'm not just talking abut the first ID film, I mean everything from the characters to the story seems so done. This film takes a lot from other Sci-Fi films that have come out in the past 15 or 20 years. Just like with Zoolander 2, it feels like I spent 2 hours watching absolutely nothing.

Roland Emmerich seems to not know how humans speak or interact with each other. And really that's the big problem with this movie aside from the whole Deja vu thing going on. When characters are in danger or even die it's hard to really give a shit about any of them. It also doesn't help that the performances are pretty damn lame to say the least. Liam Hemsworth and Sela Ward give the worst performances in the entire film along with Bill Pullman giving the hammiest performance. The only actor giving a shit here is Jessie T. Usher and even then that's not saying a lot.

I will say the Visuals are quite nice. You can just watch this movie on mute and you will have a decent experience. All in all, IDR is a film that bores you instead of excites you. The first film was stupid, but this film was outright moronic and boring. Score: 2/10.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com