INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

GTAHater
EVEN THE 3/5 OF CRITICS AND MANY MORE COMMON PEOPLE WHO ENJOYED THE FIRST INDEPENDENCE DAY FROM THE SUMMER OF 1996 (2 DECADES AGO!) HAVE CONCEDED THAT, WHILE AN ICONIC POPCORN FLICK, MANY ELEMENTS ARE CORNY, WHICH ALSO EXPLAINS WHY I COULDN’T GIVE IT ANY HIGHER THAN MY OPENING RANKING AT #40 ON THE RETRO TOP 40 MOVIES OF ‘996. FOR THE LAST 2 DECADES, HOLLYWOOD HAS DELIBERATED OVER A SEQUEL, AND JUST IN TIME FOR THE MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY, IT ALL GETS BLOWN. MUCH OF THE CAST, INCLUDING JEFF GOLDBLUM, RETURNS, BUT WILL SMITH COULDN’T SIGN ON. HE MUST HAVE LET HIS FAR LESS DISTINGUSHIED SON SCRAPE UP THE MESS.

EARTH HAS COLLECTED THE REMAINS OF THE ALIEN TECHNOLOGY TO INTEGRATE INTO OUR OWN WEAPONRY, HOPING TO BETTER BE ARMED AGAINST A BIGGER, BUT NOT BETTER, INVASION. THIS NEW SPACE SHIP IS ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES! UNFORTUNATELY, IT SEEMS TO BE MISSING ABOUT HALF THE EXHILIRATING ACTION OF THE FIRST, APPARENTLY REPLACED WITH MORE TALKING AND OVER-THE-TOP VOICE WORK. WITHOUT THE ELDER SMITH’S CHARISMA, WHAT DOES RESURGENCE HAVE LEFT TO OFFER?

CAN YOU MAKE MORE CONVINCING ARGUMENTS WHY THIS SHOULD COMPETE FOR OUR WORST OF 2016 AWARDS, PARTICULARLY THE DENSELY-CROWDED WORST PREQUEL OR SEQUEL CATEGORY? SEND INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE GOING UP IN FIREWORK FLAMES BELOW!

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

R.T. (30-35%): "It's undeniably visually impressive, but like its predecessor, the film lacks enough emotional heft to support its end-of-the-world narrative stakes."

Andrés Nazarala R. (2/7): "The biggest problem here doesn't seem to be Emmerich's usual effectism, but the consequences of his excesses. The mistake of turning a potential entertainment into a session of over-stimulation that lead to numbness. IDEAL FOR: Blockbusters devourers."

Gabriel Bahamondes (2/6): "It's true that Emmerich's flicks' typical spectacle is present. The problem is that the visual impact isn't enough to carry a movie that's 2 hours long and that has so many characters interconnected. How about the 3D effects? Nothing out of this world."

Diego Muñoz (2/5): "The script is a mess on a scale as big as the disasters in the movie, because it unsuccessfully tries to mix heroism, humour and genocide, failing in its attemps to excite with affections and patroitism. But, it must be said, between all the faux pas there's a movie full of fun moments that struggle between guilty pleasure and shame, and that seems proud to be that way. So we better not take it seriously and just laugh."

Peter Travers's review.

Eric Walkuski's review.

Richard Roeper's video review.

Jeremy Jahns's video review.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Dun-Ida
Here are my suggested nominations:

Worst Picture
A combination of weak characters and a story that seems to go everywhere are the main reasons for consideration for this category.

Worst Supporting Actor
Nicolas Wright. His tedious performance makes him a poor comic-relief.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel

Dishonorable mentions:
Roland Emmerich, Worst Director. Nicolas Wright, James A. Woods, Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich and James Vanderbilt, Worst Screenplay.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

oiram
Okay, since Robert Loggia managed to film a small part in this movie before he died, that means, for me at least, that it shouldn't be considered for Worst Screen Ensemble. Worst Screen Couple is still possible, though.
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Razzies are the Worst
I say it should be up for EVERY category eligible! Much like last year's giant turd from Roland Emmerpoorintalent (Stonewall) should have been... #razziesdroppedtheballagain
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
Oh, and maybe:
-Worst Supporting Actress for Maika Monroe (also for THE 5TH WAVE).
-Worst Picture.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Risikostreuung
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Picture.

I liked Independence Day a lot for what it was, but IP: Resurgence is so bad, it hurt my eyes watching it.

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Dun-Ida
Review from JTE Movie Thinks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nRxb0jdMY

Everything wrong with this movie.

Alex Maidy defends this movie.

So Sela Ward gets nominated for Worst Supporting Actress INSTEAD of Maika Monroe (also awful in The 5th Wave)??? #howaboutwatchingthemovievoters
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

moviecritic1994
IDR is one of the most "Been there, Done that" movies I've ever watched. I'm not just talking abut the first ID film, I mean everything from the characters to the story seems so done. This film takes a lot from other Sci-Fi films that have come out in the past 15 or 20 years. Just like with Zoolander 2, it feels like I spent 2 hours watching absolutely nothing.

Roland Emmerich seems to not know how humans speak or interact with each other. And really that's the big problem with this movie aside from the whole Deja vu thing going on. When characters are in danger or even die it's hard to really give a shit about any of them. It also doesn't help that the performances are pretty damn lame to say the least. Liam Hemsworth and Sela Ward give the worst performances in the entire film along with Bill Pullman giving the hammiest performance. The only actor giving a shit here is Jessie T. Usher and even then that's not saying a lot.

I will say the Visuals are quite nice. You can just watch this movie on mute and you will have a decent experience. All in all, IDR is a film that bores you instead of excites you. The first film was stupid, but this film was outright moronic and boring. Score: 2/10.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com