Quantcast

ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

GTAHater
LONG AGO, ONE OF THE MOST PROFOUND ELEMENTS OF THE EARLY CENOZOIC ERA, A MATTER OF SEVERAL MILLENNIA WHERE PLANETARY TEMPERATURES WERE AMONG THEIR LOWEST IN GEOLOGIC TIME, WAS ADAPTED INTO ONE OF THE MOST LUCRATIVE ANIMATED WORKS OF 2002. “ICE AGE” FEATURED A TEAM OF CHARACTERS WHOSE MASCOT WAS A LONG-BEAKED SQUIRREL-ESQUE ANIMAL WHO STOPPED AT NOTHING TO CHASE DOWN ACORNS. THEY TRAVELLED FOR MANY MILES ACROSS ICY LANDS, IN SEARCH OF A SOUTHERN LATITUDE WHERE THE TEMPERATURES ARE COOL BUT NOT COLD. THE VOICE ROLES WERE ACTED BY RAY ROMANO, JOHN LEGUIZAMO, AND DENIS LEARY, MARKING ANOTHER SOLID ENTRY ON THEIR RESUME. HOWEVER, IT LOST SOME POINTS ON MY TOP 40 FILMS OF ‘002 BECAUSE OF ITS STRIKING SIMILARITIES TO MONSTERS INC AND SHREK.

THE TOUGHEST CRITICS QUESTION HOLLYWOOD’S DECISION TO EXPAND IT INTO A LONG-RUNNING FRANCHISE, AS EVIDENCED BY THE AGGREGATE REVIEWS MELTING DOWNWARDS FROM THE MELTDOWN, TO DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS, TO CONTINENTAL DRIFT. AS THE NEW PREMISES GOT HARDER AND HARDER TO BELIEVE, THE JOKES GOT LESS AND LESS FUNNY, THE SCRIPTS GOT MORE AND MORE DERIVATIVE, AND THE CALLS TO DRIVE THE FRANCHISE INTO EXTINCTION GOT LOUDER AND LOUDER. WE’VE ENDED UP WITH THE WORST WIDE-RELEASE FILM IN AT LEAST A MONTH. ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE. SCRAT IS HEADED OUT INTO SPACE IN A FIELD OF METEOROIDS, LEAVING VERY LITTLE IN CHARACTER ANYMORE. ASTRONAUTIC SPACE SUITS DIDN’T EXIST UNTIL THE 1900s, AND WHILE I’LL CONCEDE THAT MATTERS A LOT LESS IN A KIDS-AND-FAMILY FILM, I’M STILL STRUCK ODD THAT THEY’VE ABANDONED THEIR PRE-CAVEMAN THEMES, AND DIRECTOR GALEN T CHU HAS SAID THEY’VE STILL GOT IDEAS ON WHERE TO TAKE THE PLOT, MEANING AN ICE AGE 6 COULD EASILY COMPETE FOR OUR AWARDS IN CIRCA ‘019.

IF YOU HAVE MORE ARGUMENTS AS TO WHY IT’S A CONTENDER, SUMMON A METEOR AND SMASH THE ICE SHEET OFF ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE BELOW!

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

R.T. (10-15%): "Unoriginal and unfunny, the film offers further proof that not even the healthiest box office receipts can keep a franchise from slouching toward creative extinction."

Andrés Nazarala R. (2/7): "By this point, we can't ask this tested hit to changes its triumphant recipe of slapstick and constant jokes, but we can ask ourselves if the formula isn't half worn-out already. With its hectic pacing and visual overload, the film feels as repeated as forced. IDEAL FOR: Sacrificed parents."

Fernando Marambio (2/6): Although entertaining, the film doesn't have even a little bit of tension, despite the alleged threat of a big meteorite. OK, it was obvious in the previous movies that MANNY, DIEGO & SID would be saved at the last minute, but at least the makers had the courtesy of adding some suspense so that the kids would choke up a bit with the pop corn.

Ernesto Garratt V. (2/5): "Dubbing is an art and listening to Youtuber Germán Garmendia or Rodrigo Salinas, among others, doing voice-over work doesn't help to overcome the weak plot of this movie."

Ana Josefa Silva: "The subplots move along clumsily, filled with unfunny gags and a lot of shouting. As a way to lower the Mexicanized tone of the production, for Chile local voices were introduced in the dub. Professionals of the area (who have all the trajectory of, for example, the Turkish soap operas) weren't recruited, but TV and other media "celebrities" instead. [...] As Professor Domingo Ortego (@Domingo1973) from Madrid's R.E.S.A.D. says, it's very hard to make a movie without an antagonist. And without (real) conflicts."

Peter Travers's review.

Alonso Duralde's review.

Chris Bumbray's review.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

DTLizard
Sounds like a Worst Reboot/Remake/Sequel nomination is a sure bet for this one.

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Picture.
But not Worst Original Song for MY SUPERSTAR by Jessie J.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

I'm mystified by something, yet again.

Knowing that Ice Age: Collision Course (7-22-016) was the only universally panned (as opposed to mixed-to-negative) film of July 2016, why isn't it getting as heavy consideration, or why wouldn't it deserve the RAZZIES as much, as The Legend of Tarzan (7-01-016), Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (7-08-016), or Ghostbusters [remake] (7-15-016)?

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

DTLizard
Good question, I think it's because fewer of us around here have seen it, and it is more difficult to discuss a movie when you haven't seen it.

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

GTAHater wrote
I'm mystified by something, yet again.

Knowing that Ice Age: Collision Course (7-22-016) was the only universally panned (as opposed to mixed-to-negative) film of July 2016, why isn't it getting as heavy consideration, or why wouldn't it deserve the RAZZIES as much, as The Legend of Tarzan (7-01-016), Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (7-08-016), or Ghostbusters [remake] (7-15-016)?
If you are talking about my list, you know that it does not represent everyone's thoughts. Even if I try to, there is no way it is going to completely match what will make the ballots.

But to your actual question, I think similar to the Oscars, most people do not take fully animated films as serious contenders. There are exceptions, of course, but people mostly focus on the live action stuff because that's supposed to be the most impressive, or in this case dismal, display of money and direction. Animation, people just think "Well this is good or this is bad, but either way, it's just something to babysit my kid." Another factor is if you hear people talk about "life-changing" movies or movies that started a movement, nine times out of ten, you are to hear about a live-action movie rather than an animated one. That's basically why people don't have animated films as serious contenders most of the time.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE

Vits
The thing is that animation isn't just a genre but also a format. Most people feel like they can't compare them to live-action. Same thing with fiction and documentary films.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile