Quantcast

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

123

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
I just watched it today. Here are my recommendations:

Worst Picture.

Worst Actress.
Melissa McCarthy.
Her performance is poor. She does not develop a character that is funny. Instead her performance ranges from dull to annoying.
Kristen Wiig.
Her presence in this movie is quite bland. It seems like she is just barely reading off the script.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel.

Worst Director.
Paul Feig.
It is disappointing that Feig's direction is bad. The disappointment comes from remembering that he has done better directing in the past (Spy, The Heat, Bridesmaids). His direction this time is all over the place. There does not appear to be a consistent, coherent direction. This makes it difficult to follow the movie.

Worst Screenplay.
Paul Feig and Katie Dippold.
Their screenplay is contains little humor. There are a few moments that are amusing but they are few and far between. There are many times there are attempts at being funny but instead they just fall flat. The dull screenplay also does not have any significant, character development. The main characters seem like they were just pinned there in the last minute. This is especially true for the movie's main villain, Rowan (Neil Casey). His fall into corruption is not briefly shown to the audience. Instead it is just told in a few words of dialogue.

Worst Screen Combination.
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.
When their dull screen performances are combined it results in little onscreen chemistry between them.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
R.T. (75%): It does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

Richard Roeper's video review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.
Dun-Ida wrote
Worst Screen Combination.
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.
When their dull screen performances are combined it results in little onscreen chemistry between them.
The movie most likely won't be nominated for any Razzies. If it gets nominated in this category, I'm sure the 4 actresses will be listed.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

RedDevil
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
Eh, if Dun_Ida wants to waste his nominations on Ghostbusters, let him. It's 61 on Metacritic now.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits wrote
R.T. (75%): It does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

Below is a direct link to Rotten Tomatoes Top Critics. Out of the 33 Top Critics (so far) 17 of them gave it a 'fresh' rating (52%).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/reviews/?type=top_critics

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
It's at 54% amongst top critics now, with 19 fresh and 16 rotten reviews.

Amongst all critics it's at 76% and has gotten the Certified Fresh stamp/seal.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
DTLizard wrote
It's at 54% amongst top critics now, with 19 fresh and 16 rotten reviews.

Currently 53% among the Top Critics: 19 Fresh and 16 Rotten reviews.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
Currently 56% among the Top Critics: 23 fresh and 18 rotten.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Andrés Nazarala R. (3/7): "The avalanche of fast jokes turn this into a long SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE sketch, with million-dollar budget and effects. The problem is that the dialogue and amusing situations aren't enough to sustain a feature film that relies on the charisma of its four leading ladies. There's no doubt that Feig loves them. [...] IDEAL FOR: Seeing Andy García (playing THE MAYOR) again."

Gabriel Bahamondes (3/6): "While it doesn't have the originality and spark of Ivan Reitman's 1984 flick, this remake shines on its own thanks to its parodic undertone, where the countless hilarious sequences and sarcastic dialogues become the film's main engine."

Eric Walkuski's review.

Chris Bumbray's video review.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
Ernesto Garratt V. (3/5): "Suprise. This all-female 2016 remake isn't terrible. It flows as the light comedy that is. The best part is Kristen Wiig (WALTER MITTY), aware that she's doing a "dumb" comedy."

Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars pequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists. I am sure that they would rather focus on other movies without unnecessary controversy.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
oiram wrote
I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars prequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists.

When I dislike a movie I will post my recommendations regardless what anyone else thinks. This is why last year I suggested Kingsman: The Secret Service should get nominated even though it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

oiram
Dun-Ida wrote
oiram wrote
I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars prequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists.

When I dislike a movie I will post my recommendations regardless what anyone else thinks. This is why last year I suggested Kingsman: The Secret Service should get nominated even though it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
I'm just saying what might go down. I am not sure if I am correct; I have been proven wrong before. Plus I said "much", meaning there's a chance at maybe one nomination somewhere, or if not that, maybe a joke during the ceremony.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
oiram wrote
I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars prequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists.
Here is Richard Roeper's responses to those falsely accusing him of being misogynist:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-hater-roeper-ive-had-a-dose-of-some-freaky-posts/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQeSIEQzCs

Richard's Roeper's written review:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-a-horrifying-mess/

Richard Roeper's video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpujmRPzMO4

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
Ana Josefa Silva: "A movie that laughs at itself and that overflows with tasty cinephile quotes. [...] For someone who doesn't have GHOSTBUSTERS in her 100 favorite movies list, this version --remake or reboot-- turns out to be an unexpected and more than pleasant surprise. And (with all due respect) it's superior to the 2 previous ones."

Keith & The Movies' review.
Dun-Ida wrote
I already posted his video review. I didn't post the written one because I felt it wasn't necessary to post both.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits wrote
I already posted his video review. I didn't post the written one because I felt it wasn't necessary to post both.
I also pointed out Richard Roeper's responses to the false accusations of misogyny. I felt this was necessary because if one thinks a movie is terrible she/he should be allowed to express their sentiment.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
I don't see how a critic being accused of misogyny has anything to do with whether or not a movie is Razzieworthy. The movie should be judged on its own merits or lack thereof.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
DTLizard wrote
I don't see how a critic being accused of misogyny has anything to do with whether or not a movie is Razzieworthy. The movie should be judged on its own merits or lack thereof.

oiram earlier stated that while several past Razzie nominees have a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, voters may be reluctant to nominate the Ghostbusters remake out of the fear of being accused of being misogynistic. I was just pointing out that critics like Richard Roeper are not afraid to assess the remake on its merits despite the social media "backlash".

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
NOSTALGIA CRITIC's video review.