GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

123

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
I just watched it today. Here are my recommendations:

Worst Picture.

Worst Actress.
Melissa McCarthy.
Her performance is poor. She does not develop a character that is funny. Instead her performance ranges from dull to annoying.
Kristen Wiig.
Her presence in this movie is quite bland. It seems like she is just barely reading off the script.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel.

Worst Director.
Paul Feig.
It is disappointing that Feig's direction is bad. The disappointment comes from remembering that he has done better directing in the past (Spy, The Heat, Bridesmaids). His direction this time is all over the place. There does not appear to be a consistent, coherent direction. This makes it difficult to follow the movie.

Worst Screenplay.
Paul Feig and Katie Dippold.
Their screenplay is contains little humor. There are a few moments that are amusing but they are few and far between. There are many times there are attempts at being funny but instead they just fall flat. The dull screenplay also does not have any significant, character development. The main characters seem like they were just pinned there in the last minute. This is especially true for the movie's main villain, Rowan (Neil Casey). His fall into corruption is not briefly shown to the audience. Instead it is just told in a few words of dialogue.

Worst Screen Combination.
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.
When their dull screen performances are combined it results in little onscreen chemistry between them.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
R.T. (75%): It does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

Richard Roeper's video review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.
Dun-Ida wrote
Worst Screen Combination.
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig.
When their dull screen performances are combined it results in little onscreen chemistry between them.
The movie most likely won't be nominated for any Razzies. If it gets nominated in this category, I'm sure the 4 actresses will be listed.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

RedDevil
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
Eh, if Dun_Ida wants to waste his nominations on Ghostbusters, let him. It's 61 on Metacritic now.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits wrote
R.T. (75%): It does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

Below is a direct link to Rotten Tomatoes Top Critics. Out of the 33 Top Critics (so far) 17 of them gave it a 'fresh' rating (52%).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/reviews/?type=top_critics

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
It's at 54% amongst top critics now, with 19 fresh and 16 rotten reviews.

Amongst all critics it's at 76% and has gotten the Certified Fresh stamp/seal.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
DTLizard wrote
It's at 54% amongst top critics now, with 19 fresh and 16 rotten reviews.

Currently 53% among the Top Critics: 19 Fresh and 16 Rotten reviews.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
Currently 56% among the Top Critics: 23 fresh and 18 rotten.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Andrés Nazarala R. (3/7): "The avalanche of fast jokes turn this into a long SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE sketch, with million-dollar budget and effects. The problem is that the dialogue and amusing situations aren't enough to sustain a feature film that relies on the charisma of its four leading ladies. There's no doubt that Feig loves them. [...] IDEAL FOR: Seeing Andy García (playing THE MAYOR) again."

Gabriel Bahamondes (3/6): "While it doesn't have the originality and spark of Ivan Reitman's 1984 flick, this remake shines on its own thanks to its parodic undertone, where the countless hilarious sequences and sarcastic dialogues become the film's main engine."

Eric Walkuski's review.

Chris Bumbray's video review.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
Ernesto Garratt V. (3/5): "Suprise. This all-female 2016 remake isn't terrible. It flows as the light comedy that is. The best part is Kristen Wiig (WALTER MITTY), aware that she's doing a "dumb" comedy."

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars pequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists. I am sure that they would rather focus on other movies without unnecessary controversy.
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
oiram wrote
I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars prequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists.

When I dislike a movie I will post my recommendations regardless what anyone else thinks. This is why last year I suggested Kingsman: The Secret Service should get nominated even though it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

oiram
Dun-Ida wrote
oiram wrote
I don't think this will get Razzie nominated much, not because of the Tomato score (Didn't stop them from including things like the Star Wars prequels, Crystal Skull, and even Batman Begins), but because they do not want to be labeled as misogynists.

When I dislike a movie I will post my recommendations regardless what anyone else thinks. This is why last year I suggested Kingsman: The Secret Service should get nominated even though it has a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
I'm just saying what might go down. I am not sure if I am correct; I have been proven wrong before. Plus I said "much", meaning there's a chance at maybe one nomination somewhere, or if not that, maybe a joke during the ceremony.
[...]

Here is Richard Roeper's responses to those falsely accusing him of being misogynist:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-hater-roeper-ive-had-a-dose-of-some-freaky-posts/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQeSIEQzCs

Richard's Roeper's written review:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-a-horrifying-mess/

Richard Roeper's video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpujmRPzMO4

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
Ana Josefa Silva: "A movie that laughs at itself and that overflows with tasty cinephile quotes. [...] For someone who doesn't have GHOSTBUSTERS in her 100 favorite movies list, this version --remake or reboot-- turns out to be an unexpected and more than pleasant surprise. And (with all due respect) it's superior to the 2 previous ones."

Keith & The Movies' review.
Dun-Ida wrote
I already posted his video review. I didn't post the written one because I felt it wasn't necessary to post both.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits wrote
I already posted his video review. I didn't post the written one because I felt it wasn't necessary to post both.
I also pointed out Richard Roeper's responses to the false accusations of misogyny. I felt this was necessary because if one thinks a movie is terrible she/he should be allowed to express their sentiment.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

DTLizard
I don't see how a critic being accused of misogyny has anything to do with whether or not a movie is Razzieworthy. The movie should be judged on its own merits or lack thereof.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Dun-Ida
DTLizard wrote
I don't see how a critic being accused of misogyny has anything to do with whether or not a movie is Razzieworthy. The movie should be judged on its own merits or lack thereof.

oiram earlier stated that while several past Razzie nominees have a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, voters may be reluctant to nominate the Ghostbusters remake out of the fear of being accused of being misogynistic. I was just pointing out that critics like Richard Roeper are not afraid to assess the remake on its merits despite the social media "backlash".

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS (2016)

Vits
NOSTALGIA CRITIC's video review.