DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

12

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

Vits
babyshowers wrote
NIÑAS MAL (which was later remade as a MTV tv series)
Bummer. That movie and its theme song are guilty pleasures of mine. I never saw the series, but I heard its theme song. I found it to be kind of annoying.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
This post was updated on .
Vits wrote
SECRETOS DE FAMILIA.
I'm so sorry you had to see that crap. That was a Worst Picture winner. He is the only director with three Worst Picture winners under his belt.

oiram wrote
Really interesting, though I think you mean his real-life fiancé.

I don't know if you noticed, but Diego Luna is now being considered for
Worst Actor/Worst Supporting Actor for his involvement in the Flatliners
sequel/remake. (Although, from what I've heard, it is actually just a
remake.)

Question, you ever nominated Diego's "Y Tu Mamá También" co-stars, Gael
García Bernal and Maribel Verdú?
We actually nominated Gael García Bernal the very next year for his directorial debut "DÉFICIT", which also stared Diego's then sweetheart, Camila Sodi. EL BÚFALO DE LA NOCHE was an adaptation from Guillermo Arriaga (you probably know him for his collaborations with 4 times Oscar winner Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu... they haven't worked together ever since). We used to have a website back in the day, then we couldn't afford the server but I have all saved in a very old computer of mine. I don't think we paid that much attention to Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN, which was certainly controversial at the time and divided the audience. In fact, not even the Mexican Academy Award thought it was good enough for Oscar consideration, and they sent another film that ended up not being nominated for Best Foreign Language Film. But Cuarón had the last laugh when his film was up for Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars and Best Foreign Language Film in both, the Golden Globe Awards and the BAFTA Awards.

And, honestly, it doesn't matter how controversial that film would've been... there were FAR worse films in 2001. This one, for example.

I don't think we have ever messed with Maribel Verdú. She wasn't bad in the few Mexican films she stared in (PAN'S LABYRINTH, Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN, LA ZONA). I know she was nominated for several Godoy Awards for Worst Actress in Spain. She actually won the Mexican Academy Award (the Ariel Award) before she could win her first Goya Award for Best Actress in her homeland.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
babyshowers wrote

oiram wrote
Really interesting, though I think you mean his real-life fiancé.

I don't know if you noticed, but Diego Luna is now being considered for
Worst Actor/Worst Supporting Actor for his involvement in the Flatliners
sequel/remake. (Although, from what I've heard, it is actually just a
remake.)

Question, you ever nominated Diego's "Y Tu Mamá También" co-stars, Gael
García Bernal and Maribel Verdú?
We actually nominated Gael García Bernal the very next year for his directorial debut "DÉFICIT", which also stared Diego's then sweetheart, Camila Sodi. EL BÚFALO DE LA NOCHE was an adaptation from Guillermo Arriaga (you probably know him for his collaborations with 4 times Oscar winner Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu... they haven't worked together ever since). We used to have a website back in the day, then we couldn't afford the server but I have all saved in a very old computer of mine. I don't think we paid that much attention to Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN, which was certainly controversial at the time and divided the audience. But there were FAR worse films in 2001. This one, for example.

I don't think we have ever messed with Maribel Verdú. She wasn't bad in the few Mexican films she stared in (PAN'S LABYRINTH, Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN, LA ZONA). I know she was nominated for several Godoy Awards for Worst Actress in Spain. She actually won the Mexican Academy Award (the Ariel Award) before she could win her first Goya Award for Best Actress in her homeland.
You misunderstood me a little bit. I didn't ask if Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN was nominated, just if the actors from the film were nominated for other films. I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be nominated for "Worst", it arguably started the American careers of Diego and Gael, as well as future Oscar winner Alfonso Cuarón. Well you did answer that question still, and I did not know Gael attempted directing. Nor did I know that there was a Spanish Razzies. Not that I should be too surprised.

I have heard that there is a Japanese Razzies, where the big winner one year was Tales From Earthsea, an animated film directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro. What was also interesting was that Worst Actor that same year was awarded to Tom Hanks for The Da Vinci Code!

There is also a French version of the Razzies. I don't know too much, but I know Marion Cotillard was nominated at least once, for a film called The Last Flight (Le dernier vol), and she actually said she wanted to win!: LINK

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
Spain has two "Razzie"-like awards, the Godoy Awards and the Yoga Awards. Poor Tom Hanks won the latter for Worst Foreign Actor for The Da Vinci Code

Link, here

Gael García Bernal won "Worst Spanish ACTRESS" for his role in Bad Education

Marion Cotillard is a good sport. Was that after or before her Oscar?

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
Thanks for the link.  I do wonder why it's called the "Yoga" awards. I usually just think of Yoga as a relaxing way to position one's body.

Wow, so Hanks won Worst Actor in Spain AND Japan, for the same movie no less. Never would have thought Hanks would get such a backlash outside the USA.

It was after the Oscar.

EDIT: I just looked back at 1990... Wow, the Spanish have different tastes. They had Dustin Hoffman win Worst Foreign Actor for Rain Man... Which he won an Oscar for!

"Yoga" is an anagram for "Goya."

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
Spaniards are very outspoken when it comes to films/actors they don't like. It doesn't matter if they happen to be acclaimed films.  If they had enough of you in one year or if they think you are overrated (ask 2015 Worst Actress winner, Jennifer Lawrence) they will come for you.

Tom Hanks also won a Stinker Award for Worst Accent for his role in The Da Vinci Code.

Here  is the link for the Godoy Awards, which I like more because they have several nominees (unlike the Yoga award, which only announces the "winners")

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
Thank you again.

Let us know how the new Nopal de oro awards go when they start.

You are welcome and yes, of course I will. I think this film will be the biggest winner in 2018. It's a remake of the acclaimed Bollywood inspirational classic "3 Idiots" NO ONE was clamoring for.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
Hmm... Here is what I suggest, if you want the entire Debrez family to win awards.

First, since Eugenio has already won one, I think the focus should instead be on Vadhir for Worst Supporting Actor for 3 Idiotas. That way, you can have Mauricio Ochmann win Worst Actor, and Aislinn Derbez can win Worst Actress. How does that sound?

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
That actually sounds very cool. However, Vadhir Derbez is not only in "3 Idiotas", he is also the lead in the sex-comedy "El tamaño sí importa" ("Size does matter"). And even tho he is not the lead in "3 Idiotas" he's got plenty of screen time (not to mention, he is obnoxious as hell in that movie), so he could end up nominated for Worst Actor for those two films while his dad (who has a small cameo in EL TAMAÑO SI IMPORTA) could win Worst Supporting Actor. Although Christopher Uckerman (former member of RBD) could end up winning that category instead. We have already targeted all of his peers. With Alfonso Herrera already winning Worst Actor AND Worst Supporting Actor (although, we have a lot more respect for him as an actor now), Dulce María winning Worst Actress and Maite Perroni being nominated for Worst Supporting Actress.

The real lead actor in "3 Idiotas" is Alfonso Dosal, who also stars alongsie Mauricio Ochmann in "DO IT LIKE AN HOMBRE". Although I think he is a charismatic actor, this lack of common sense/good taste in picking his most recent roles suggest he is actually BEGGING for a Worst Actor nomination although the winner could be either Ochmann (who has been up for Wost Actor three times already by his own right, without winning anything yet) or Derbez. Aislinn could be the first lady to win Worst Actress more than once since Martha Higareda (she won in 2007 and in 2010), and the first actor to have back-to-back wins.
12