DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

12

DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

Vits
TOP CAT lasted only 30 episodes, which was very disappointing for a cartoon (even in the 60s). Especially for a Hanna-Barbera production. However, it was a big hit in Latin America. That's why, despite being an American show, it was adapted into a Mexican movie (has something like that ever happened before?) named DON GATO Y SU PANDILLA: LA PELICULA (TOP CAT: THE MOVIE). I... wasn't a big fan of it. They've made a sequel. It already came out here last year, but it's just coming out now in the US. Once again, it's a long episode disguised as a movie, except this time they're using CG animation instead of flash animation. I have to give you a warning that might seem like a spoiler but it's not. Right before the credits roll, the characters sing the show's theme song. Since the song has never been translated, you'll hear Mexican actors singing in English for no reason. Also, because of the kind of voices the characters have, this rendition is kind of annoying.

For your consideration:
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
Oh, and maybe Worst Picture. But not:
-Worst Actor for Raúl Anaya.
-Worst Supporting Actor for Jesús Guzmán nor Mauricio Pérez.
-Worst Screen Ensemble.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
That film was nominated for two "Nopal de oro" awards (the Mexican Razzie). We only nominated it for WORST PICTURE (Peor película) and WORST ANIMATED FILM (Peor cinta animada), failing to "win" any.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
Never heard of those awards. You got a link for them?

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actor - Tom Cruise (nom), Matt Damon (nom), Johnny Depp, Jamie Dornan (nom), Charlie Hunnam (nom), and Charlie Sheen (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), Amy Schumer (nom), and Reese Witherspoon (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Mel Gibson (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
We used to have a facebook profile but it was never updated again the "members" were obligated to do it independently

WORST ACTRESS NOMINEES from the 2015 ceremony. I rooted for Eiza Gonzalez that year, International audience might know her from the FROM DUSK TILL DAWN tv series

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

This year the big "winner" was this homophobic piece of crap. It was up for 13 awards and "won" 9.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
This one was up for WORST ACTRESS and WORST REMAKE/RIP OFF

Aislinn Derbez (daughter of Eugenio Derbez, you probably heard of him. He stars in the highest grossing Spanish-language film of all time in the USA -which earned him WORST ACTOR at the first NOPAL DE ORO ceremony- and also in Adam Sandler's all time Razzie champion Jack and Jill) won Worst Actress for this, and for 3 more films. She will likely be nominated again next year for a film directed by the same guy who directed the original Chilean film this film is based on. If she decides to crossover to Hollywood, keep an eye on her, Razzies.

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
No way! he is NOT taken seriously by moviegoers AT ALL. We had nominated him for almost EVERYTHING he's been in. With that film, "Instructions not included", he was criticized for being delusional enough to think THAT should be selected by the Mexican Academy Award for Oscars consideration. And, of course, we dislike him for being the king of nepotism. This year we have the oportunity to nominate  all of his family, basically.

His son and his son-in-law could be up against each other for WORST ACTOR, his daughter could win a second WORST ACTRESS for a film where she plays alongside her real-life husband (for a second time in two years) and he himself could snatch WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR (for a film starring his son). They are a nightmare that just won't go away.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

oiram
So... is it just Mexican movies? Because maybe you could nominate him for How to Be a Latin Lover and possibly the upcoming Geostorm.

Also, strongly suggest you guys try and set up an awards page on IMDb. That would be interesting to see.

PS: I kind of had no idea he had such a dynasty, for lack of a better word.

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

I couldn't find anything in English about PINK in a google search.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

Vits
babyshowers wrote
a film directed by the same guy who directed the original Chilean film this film is based on.
Yeah... That's weird. It's like when there's an American remake of a movie from another English-speaking country. The "We don't want to read subtitles" excuse doesn't apply, so what's the point? It's not like the plot or themes of the original QUE PENA TU VIDA (or its 2 sequels) were bound to Chilean culture. In fact, it seemed to be inspired by American rom-coms.
babyshowers wrote
If she decides to crossover to Hollywood, keep an eye on her, Razzies.
I think she wants to do it. I recently saw her in the Netflix original WIN IT ALL.
oiram wrote
Huh, if Eugenio won Worst Actor there, I guess he is not as beloved as people would let you believe.
I haven't seen enough of Eugenio's movies to say a general opinion on him, but I can tell you 2 things: 1) Being popular isn't the same as being talented. 2) It's common for audiences to be more critical of the celebrities of their own country compared to foreign audiences, since each person knows what the local standards are.
GTAHater wrote
I couldn't find anything in English about PINK in a google search.
What words did you type?

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
GTAHater wrote
I couldn't find anything in English about PINK in a google search.
and you won't find anything. That movie wasn't released anywhere else in world. Actually, that movie received a very limited release in Mexico City. It was directed by christian priest and filmmaker wannabe, Paco del Toro (I hope he is NOT related to Guillermo del Toro in any way shape or form... although rumors has it, he IS related to the Hellboy movie director). He filmed some crappy straight-to-VHS christian-oriented films in the 90s but, somehow, his movies started to be theatrically released since 2002, making him eligible for my own personal Worst-of-the-year Awards ever since.

PINK is basically an anti-gay sermon, about a gay couple (played by Worst Actor winner Pablo Cheng -openly gay comedian in real life- and Worst Actor nominee Charly Lopez -former member of the Garibaldi band.... basically a Mexican version of Milli Vanilli... or even less talented than them-) who adopt a young boy and how he is bullied by his peers and his life becomes a living hell since gay people are basically incapable of holding themselves together. At some point, the young boy is sexually assaulted by a gay friend of his parents and that turns him gay, too. At the end of the film, Pablo Cheng's character converts to christianity and becomes "straight". I kid you not.

The film was of course controversial and a lot of people wanted it to be banned. I wanted it to be release so we could nominate the heck out it, like we did. Yuri ("Mexican Madonna") promoted the film on her Facebook profile, offending like 95% of her target audience.

oiram wrote
So... is it just Mexican movies? Because maybe you could nominate him for How to Be a Latin Lover and possibly the upcoming Geostorm.

Also, strongly suggest you guys try and set up an awards page on IMDb. That would be interesting to see.
how can we do that? That sounds interesting!

And we have a category for WORST FOREIGN FILM, of course most of the films we nominate in this category come from the States (sorry, guys). HOW TO BE A LATIN LOVER is a very strong competitor.

The next year, I want to root for Ariel Levy (THE GREEN INFERNO) as Worst Supporting Actor for DO IT LIKE AN HOMBRE. He wouldn't be the first Chilean star we nominate. Beto Cuevas (vocalist of the rock-pop group LA LEY) and Cristián de la Fuente have already been nominated and won. The latter also stared in a chilean-mexican vehicle for former pop diva and that year's Worst Actress winner, Dulce Maria (from RBD).

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

Vits
babyshowers wrote
It was directed by christian priest and filmmaker wannabe, Paco del Toro (I hope he is NOT related to Guillermo del Toro in any way shape or form... although rumors has it, he IS related to the Hellboy movie director). He filmed some crappy straight-to-VHS christian-oriented films in the 90s but, somehow, his movies started to be theatrically released since 2002, making him eligible for my own personal Worst-of-the-year Awards ever since.

Yuri ("Mexican Madonna")

how can we do that? That sounds interesting!

The next year, I want to root for Ariel Levy (THE GREEN INFERNO) as Worst Supporting Actor for DO IT LIKE AN HOMBRE. He wouldn't be the first Chilean star we nominate. Beto Cuevas (vocalist of the rock-pop group LA LEY) and Cristián de la Fuente have already been nominated and won. The latter also stared in a chilean-mexican vehicle for former pop diva and that year's Worst Actress winner, Dulce Maria (from RBD).
1) Ah, I know him. I saw his previous movie. I found it offensive (not towards gays, though).
2) LOL!
3) I think you have to contact IMDB directly. They display award ceremonies even if the organization doesn't have actual trophies (like the Golden Schmoes).
4) I haven't seen like DO IT LIKE AN HOMBRE yet and I'm not even sure if it'll be released here. I read an interview where the director admitted that he care more about entertainment than art and he's proud that the movie has grossed more than DUNKIRK and BABY DRIVER in México.
5) For what movies did they win?
6) I remember that movie, though I never got around to watching it.
7) Why "former"? She's still working.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
Cristian de la Fuente was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor for ¿ALGUIEN HA VISTO A LUPITA? (HAS ANYBODY SEEN LUPITA?) and he finally won Worst Actor for ENAMORÁNDOME DE ABRIL (at the time, he was staring in a Mexican soap, so that helped a lot).

In the pre-facebook era, Beto Cuevas was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor for the sexually charged drama LA MUJER DE MI HERMANO (metacritic link, here) losing against veteran Mexican playboy Andrés García. Then, in 2009, he played a narco lord in the gore and exploitation Mexican-American thriller, Borderland. That earned him Worst Supporting Actor.

Is Dulce still making music? I didn't know that. I thought she quit music and acting for good. I haven't heard anything from her on the radio in a while. I think her biggest fan base is actually in Brazil, not in Mexico. what Paco del Toro film did you see?

SECRETOS DE FAMILIA.

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers wrote
oiram wrote
So... is it just Mexican movies? Because maybe you could nominate him for How to Be a Latin Lover and possibly the upcoming Geostorm.

Also, strongly suggest you guys try and set up an awards page on IMDb. That would be interesting to see.
how can we do that? That sounds interesting!

And we have a category for WORST FOREIGN FILM, of course most of the films we nominate in this category come from the States (sorry, guys). HOW TO BE A LATIN LOVER is a very strong competitor.
I'd suggest doing what Vits said. Sound like you guys have been around for a long time. It'd be cool to see the awards on IMDb.

Out of curiosity, what other films have you guys nominated for Worst Foreign film?

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

babyshowers
Just to name a few: Norm of the North, Transcendence, Machete Kills.

this was one of my favorite years. We nominated Diego Luna for a movie that also stared her real-life fiancee Camila Sodi (niece of Tommy Mottola). She, of course, ended up winning Worst Supporting Actress for both, EL BÚFALO DE LA NOCHE and NIÑAS MAL (which was later remade as a MTV tv series)

Re: DON GATO: EL INICIO DE LA PANDILLA (TOP CAT BEGINS)

Really interesting, though I think you mean his real-life fiancé.

I don't know if you noticed, but Diego Luna is now being considered for Worst Actor/Worst Supporting Actor for his involvement in the Flatliners sequel/remake. (Although, from what I've heard, it is actually just a remake.)

Question, you ever nominated Diego's "Y Tu Mamá También" co-stars, Gael García Bernal and Maribel Verdú?