DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

Not to be confused with Jacka** Presents Bad Grandpa (Warui Ojiisan), this spring break themed collaboration between Robert De Niro and Zac Efron was the first of 3 worst new films of the week on January 22. So far, it has stood out as a major Worst Picture contender, and these are the biggest reasons why:

*Just 7/10 of a month into the new year, many film critics were already considering it the worst film of the year. Most of them criticized it as the furthest removed from funny they've ever seen.

*Dirty Grandpa killed a lot of people's last bits of respect for DeNiro...

*...and made them pity Zac Efron, who has acting talent but keeps signing on to bad films, or perhaps is suffering from an incompetent talent agent.

*Not only does it have a lowly 10% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes, but it has an 18% review average at Metacritic. A Metascore under 20% is considered overwhelming dislike or extreme disgust, and that's rare for a wide release. Among the films that I'd designated as likely RAZZIE contenders, only Mother's Day was worse.

*Not only is Dirty Grandpa among the worst exercises in sophomore comedy ever, but if I remember correctly, Dirty Grandpa also came off as sexist and homophobic to a lot of people. This has happened now and then with RAZZIE quarterfinalists in the past year or more.

Discuss below!

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

Vits
I saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Picture.
Oh, and MAYBE Worst Supporting Actor for Adam Pally. But NOT:
-Worst Actor for Robert DeNiro nor for Zac Efron.
-Worst Supporting Actor for Jason Mantzoukas.
-Worst Supporting Actress for Zoey Deutch nor for Aubrey Plaza.
-Worst Screen Couple for Efron and either DeNiro or Deutch.
-Worst Screen Ensemble.

JimmyO's review.

Richard Roeper's review.

Jeremy Jahns' review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review.
GTAHater wrote
a lowly 10% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes
And the consensus reads: "Like a Werther's Original dropped down a sewer drain, the film represents the careless fumbling of a classic talent that once brought pleasure to millions."

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

moviecritic1994
DIRTY GRANDPA REVIEW-

Here's the thing, I knew this movie was going to be at the very least bad. It was just one of those "sixth sense" moments for me. From the time I saw the trailer, I knew this movie was going to be an alleged "comedy" with poor attempts at humor. But...I was wrong (sort of).Dirty Grandpa wasn't bad, it was PAINFUL and EXHAUSTING! It's barely 2 hours long and yet it felt like I sat there for 4 hours. The film is so bad I have no idea where to even start. Well I can say without a doubt that Dirty Grandpa is a disaster from beginning to end (especially the end part because well... we'll get to that).

Jason Kelly (Zac Efron) is engaged to overbearing and irritating twit Meredith (Julianne Hough). Jason's grandmother has just passed away from cancer, but the script still wants to make really uncomfortable jokes at the funeral. After a couple of bad jokes that feel like they last an eternity, we finally get the "plot" rolling. Jason's grandfather Dick Kelly (played quite sadly by Robert De Niro) wants to go somewhere (I honestly forget what the original plan was). Jason is quite easily tricked into going to Florida for Spring Break by his grandfather.

The first issue I have with this movie is the fact that the plot is non existent. As in the movie has so many ideas of where to go with this stupid plot and then decides to go with all the ideas at once. For instance, the first half of this movie borrows a lot from Dumb and Dumber. The script mainly focuses on these two assholes acting like idiots on Spring Break. The main focus of the plot is Robert De Niro planning to fuck Aubrey Plaza's character. I'm not kidding, the first half of the movie is nothing but Zac Efron embarrassing himself and Robert De Niro acting like a Happy Madison character.

Before we get to the stupid ending, we do need to talk about the humor this film has. Originally, I tweeted this comparison: "Dirty Grandpa is an Adam Sandler movie on crack". While I'll still believe that (the film is a more raunchy version of Grown Ups 1 & 2) there's an even bigger reason why the humor is so bad. Sure the humor is offensive (it doesn't offend me, but that's what the film is going for) but it has no idea how to be offensive. Worst Picture winner Movie 43 had the same big issue, it has no idea how to crass/offensive humor. South Park and Family Guy know how to do this type of humor well (though I will say there are times when even Family Guy doesn't know how to do crass humor either). When you make any type of comedy you have to know what you're dong but that goes double for the "Let's push our audience's buttons" thing.

Now about that ending, while it's not conventionally bad it still throws in a moral that wasn't really there for more than half of the running time. I would say "Spoiler Alert" but guys come on... you really shouldn't see this  (unless you're a Razzie voter in which case I am sorry you have to watch complete trash like this). Anyway, toward the end of the film the moral is pretty much laid out like dirty underwear. De Niro's character pretty much says he was liberated Jason's oppressed life as a doormat. Excuse me but... NO! MOVIE YOU HAVE NO REAL MORAL AND YOU KNOW IT! This film was not about Jason breaking out of his shell or him breaking free of his "oppressed" life. This was about a man going through a mid-life crisis (and yet the film never thinks De Niro's character has any issue, he's just a wild card apparently). This was about this same old man trying to capture his lost youth in the worst way possible. He drives his grandson almost insane and in the end loses his job as a lawyer. And yet the film thinks this is a good thing? THIS MOVIE CAN EAT MY ENTIRE ASS!

I 100% do not recommend this to anyone. Dirty Grandpa is first class junk and it can't even be proper junk. If this entire film was meant to be unlikeable in it's entirety, at the very least I could respect what it was going for in terms of the humor. But nope, they have to throw in a romance nobody cares about and a moral that's not even really there. The plot has no flow, the acting is off (seriously Zac Efron, Robert De Niro and Aubrey Plaza are really annoying in this), the humor is never comes close to being funny and all of the characters are unlikeable. The only point I can give this movie is the fact that it has scenes you can see and sounds you can hear. THAT'S IT! Score 1/10.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

oiram
I felt that Julianne Hough essentially played a dirtier version of what Kaley Cuoco played as in The Wedding Ringer.

Though I don't really get why people are so shocked and saddened that De Niro would do something like this. I mean, did we all forget about this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZxUhCE5l8

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), Amy Schumer (nom), and Reese Witherspoon (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Jon Bass (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

moviecritic1994
While Kaley Cuoco was annoying in The Wedding Ringer, I did find Julian Hough's performance even worse than Cuoco's. It's almost as if she had no idea how to play a bitchy character.

This might be De Niro's worst performance yet (yes, even worse than his performance as "Fearless Leader").
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

oiram
moviecritic1994 wrote
This might be De Niro's worst performance yet (yes, even worse than his performance as "Fearless Leader").
Oh, I am not denying that idea. I am just wondering how it is "shocking" to see him doing this when he has already done some pretty embarrassing stuff, some of which "lampoon" his more well-received roles.

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

His career seems to parallel Al Pacino's a lot. They both are great actors, but for the past 10 years or so they've been choosing bad projects or just phoning  in their performances (or both).
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

moviecritic1994 wrote
Jason's grandfather Dick Kelly (played quite sadly by Robert De Niro) wants to go somewhere (I honestly forget what the original plan was).

The only point I can give this movie is the fact that it has scenes you can see and sounds you can hear. THAT'S IT!

While Kaley Cuoco was annoying in The Wedding Ringer, I did find Julian Hough's performance even worse than Cuoco's. It's almost as if she had no idea how to play a bitchy character.
[Spoilers for THE WEDDING RINGER]

1) Oh, my God! I forgot about it too! And I didn't realize until you pointed it out!
2) ROFL!
3) To be fair, Kaley's character was only bitchy during the last part, while Julianne's was throughout the movie.
oiram wrote
He had never stooped so low before. At least with the self-parodic roles, the viewer could tell that he was willing to laugh at himself. Here, he tried to make us laugh at the things he did and said (rather than himself) and failed.

What's your score for Dirty Grandpa VITS?
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: DIRTY GRANDPA / KITANAI OJIISAN

Vits
The same one as yours.