Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

I was thinking about this for about a month or two now, and I wanted to see what all of you thought about it too.

So, if you haven't seen it, the teaser for the fifth Pirates movie, Dead Men Tell No Tales, has been released, and yes it looks interesting, but there are a few red flags when you look behind the scenes. First things first, each new Pirates movie gets less good reception each time, the fourth one being the lowest of course. While patterns like this do not always work for movies, the Fast and Furious franchise proved that, Disney might not be so lucky. I have gotten the feeling from some people that they are getting sick of seeing these Pirates movies, and this may be the straw that will break the camel's back.

Now there is also the fact to bring up that a new writer is on board, no pun intended. This is the first film in the franchise to not have either Ted Elliott or Terry Rossio write the screenplay. In fact, Terry was going to write a draft, but then it was scrapped and replaced with a draft by the new writer, Jeff Nathanson.

You might think "well, fresh blood might help the series", but this guy is actually not the best choice, because he has written two movies that have won the Razzie for Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel: Speed 2: Cruise Control and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the former also getting Jeff a nod in Worst Screenplay.

Now both of those films had other writers attached to them, and he also co-wrote The Terminal, which is considered one of Spielberg's weaker films, a segment in New York, I Love You, which was not well-received, and Tower Heist, which had quite a few people claim that it is not as good as it could have been.

So you might think "well, maybe he's better when working alone," but let's put that to the test, shall we? By himself, he wrote the Jason Alexander directed For Better or Worse, Rush Hour 2, Catch Me If You Can, The Last Shot (also directed by him), and Rush Hour 3, and of those films, only Catch Me If You Can was fully well received.

So the idea that this man is going to save the franchise is a pretty bad thought now, but it gets worse. According to Wikipedia, there are two things that have me further worried: 1: Johnny Depp was "involved" in the writing process, and that to me sounds like there could possibly be an ego trip going on. 2: The movie was delayed a few times due to script and budget issues, and hearing about script issues makes me think "Was it not completed? Did they not like what they shot thus far and had to re-write the thing in an attempt to fix it?" This, to me, screams that it is not going to turn out well.

And now I get to the real reason I made this post, the "Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought" that I titled this topic. So, thus far Depp has been nominated for Worst Actor twice, maybe a third time this year but that will depend. However, the thought that rushed through my head was so intriguing I had to share it and see how the rest of you feel.

You may or may not know this, but the role of Jack Sparrow was surprisingly the first time Johnny Depp got an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. Well, knowing this, wouldn't it be cruel irony if the role ends up being the thing that gets him his first Razzie win for Worst Actor? I think that would be pretty funny if that would happen, and thus far I don't see why it couldn't happen.

What do you guys think? Could this be a golden opportunity? Imagine the possibility of his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor becoming his first Razzie win for Worst Actor and how hilarious it would be in hindsight.

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), Amy Schumer (nom), and Reese Witherspoon (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Jon Bass (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

GTAHater
I for one would preliminarily like to see that happen, but these past few years have been overflowing with competition for Worst Actor, and reviews for Dead Men Tell No Tales will have to underpass On Stranger Tides by a wide margin to stand Sparrow out.

Re: Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

Vits
This may be nitpicking but, if he wins, it won't be for the same movie he received his 1st Oscar nomination. When actors play the same character in different installments, the performances can be different. In fact, I recommended Johnny to be nominated this year for playing the same character that earned him a deserved Golden Globe nomination.

I can't tell you if I want him to win until I see the movie. I may also want him to be nominated for MURDER IN THE ORIENT EXPRESS depending on how that remake turns out.

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

Vits
Yeah... Based on the reviews, he'll definitely make it at least to the ballots.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile