Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

I was thinking about this for about a month or two now, and I wanted to see what all of you thought about it too.

So, if you haven't seen it, the teaser for the fifth Pirates movie, Dead Men Tell No Tales, has been released, and yes it looks interesting, but there are a few red flags when you look behind the scenes. First things first, each new Pirates movie gets less good reception each time, the fourth one being the lowest of course. While patterns like this do not always work for movies, the Fast and Furious franchise proved that, Disney might not be so lucky. I have gotten the feeling from some people that they are getting sick of seeing these Pirates movies, and this may be the straw that will break the camel's back.

Now there is also the fact to bring up that a new writer is on board, no pun intended. This is the first film in the franchise to not have either Ted Elliott or Terry Rossio write the screenplay. In fact, Terry was going to write a draft, but then it was scrapped and replaced with a draft by the new writer, Jeff Nathanson.

You might think "well, fresh blood might help the series", but this guy is actually not the best choice, because he has written two movies that have won the Razzie for Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel: Speed 2: Cruise Control and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the former also getting Jeff a nod in Worst Screenplay.

Now both of those films had other writers attached to them, and he also co-wrote The Terminal, which is considered one of Spielberg's weaker films, a segment in New York, I Love You, which was not well-received, and Tower Heist, which had quite a few people claim that it is not as good as it could have been.

So you might think "well, maybe he's better when working alone," but let's put that to the test, shall we? By himself, he wrote the Jason Alexander directed For Better or Worse, Rush Hour 2, Catch Me If You Can, The Last Shot (also directed by him), and Rush Hour 3, and of those films, only Catch Me If You Can was fully well received.

So the idea that this man is going to save the franchise is a pretty bad thought now, but it gets worse. According to Wikipedia, there are two things that have me further worried: 1: Johnny Depp was "involved" in the writing process, and that to me sounds like there could possibly be an ego trip going on. 2: The movie was delayed a few times due to script and budget issues, and hearing about script issues makes me think "Was it not completed? Did they not like what they shot thus far and had to re-write the thing in an attempt to fix it?" This, to me, screams that it is not going to turn out well.

And now I get to the real reason I made this post, the "Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought" that I titled this topic. So, thus far Depp has been nominated for Worst Actor twice, maybe a third time this year but that will depend. However, the thought that rushed through my head was so intriguing I had to share it and see how the rest of you feel.

You may or may not know this, but the role of Jack Sparrow was surprisingly the first time Johnny Depp got an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. Well, knowing this, wouldn't it be cruel irony if the role ends up being the thing that gets him his first Razzie win for Worst Actor? I think that would be pretty funny if that would happen, and thus far I don't see why it couldn't happen.

What do you guys think? Could this be a golden opportunity? Imagine the possibility of his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor becoming his first Razzie win for Worst Actor and how hilarious it would be in hindsight.
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

GTAHater
I for one would preliminarily like to see that happen, but these past few years have been overflowing with competition for Worst Actor, and reviews for Dead Men Tell No Tales will have to underpass On Stranger Tides by a wide margin to stand Sparrow out.

Re: Crazy Jack Sparrow Thought In My Head.

Vits
This may be nitpicking but, if he wins, it won't be for the same movie he received his 1st Oscar nomination. When actors play the same character in different installments, the performances can be different. In fact, I recommended Johnny to be nominated this year for playing the same character that earned him a deserved Golden Globe nomination.

I can't tell you if I want him to win until I see the movie. I may also want him to be nominated for MURDER IN THE ORIENT EXPRESS depending on how that remake turns out.

[...]

Yeah... Based on the reviews, he'll definitely make it at least to the ballots.