Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

#resistrazzmindset
Seriously, this is an actual thing; is it TOO SOON...to clear lotsa Razzie nomination space for this?

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

Vits
It is too soon to make a thread for it, but we should keep our eyes on the movie. We're not sure if Charlie is capable doing drama anymore. Specially a dialogue-driven one (it's based on a play). The cast also includes Razzie nominee Gina Gershon.

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

oiram
That is actually a good find, Larch. I hope it is eligible. Also just appearing on the horizon is a new Texas Chainsaw movie, titled "Leatherface."

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

#resistrazzmindset
This 'film' is starting to be referred to as 'Extremely Tasteless & Incredibly Unnecessary*', which smells like (rotting) Razzie Bait to me...

*BTW that movie from 2011 that's being referred to was ALSO Razzie-worthy IMHO (and by many others too)...

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

GTAHater
I thought Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was absolutely... average. It first played in December of '011, when New Year's Eve, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, and Chris Gorak's version of The Darkest Hour were getting all the negative reviews. Then EL&IC expanded to wide release on 1-20-012, but all the negative reviews that day went to Underworld: Awakening. I'm starting to think that's a flat-out paradox, but can anyone else explain why it happened that way?

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

Vits
How is that a paradox?

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

GTAHater
Again, because New Year's Eve, Chipwrecked, The Darkest Hour, and Underworld: Awakening all got panned by critics, and yet everybody loathes Incredibly Close instead.

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

Vits
2 factors:
1) The other movies looked bad, while E.L.A.I.C. looked good.
2) A lot of people saw E.L.A.I.C. after it got award nominations, so they were feeling more hype.
The combination of both factors made the hatred stronger than usual, while the other movies were merely forgettable.

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

Finally, a review came out for this movie on RT, and it is negative. Sign of things to come? Who knows? However, at least there is something.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

GTAHater
To oiram: I've give Goldberg and Sheen good odds in the acting categories, but to beat Fifty Shades Darker, The Emoji Movie and, if it gets universally panned, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, in the Worst Picture finals, it could need a bigger saturation of negative reviews to overcome its limited release. Not that it won't. I heard Cartman over a decade ago! "All the evidence points one way, but I'm like Charlie Sheen and Gloria Estefan. I need to know what really happened on 9/11". In fact, if Sheen blamed Dubya for 9-11-001, I hope it gets a few dozen negative reviews, and I also hope it doesn't get anything else as forgiving as Alonso DuRalde's score. DuRalde saw some connections between the characters and emotions, but he concurred that it relies too much on the real-life horror to carry much dramatic weight. The Emoji Movie has been switching between 7 and 8% approval rating, so 9/11 probably needs less than double that in order to win Worst Picture. If 9/11 can underpass 15% by Christmas, and nothing worse comes along in the late third of the year, it'll be my wager for Worst Picture.

To Vits: It sounds as if there's some connection between films looking bad from the get-go and ending up forgettably bad. It also sounds like audiences will feel the pain for much longer if a film like EL&IC turns out badly, particularly relative to what they were hoping for and what it had been hyped up to be. If indeed Underworld: Awakening, Chipwrecked, New Year's Eve, and Gorak's The Darkest Hour were forgettably bad because they looked terrible to begin with, how reliable is the connection? Among forgettably bad films, how often is this "looks bad from the start" factor the reason why?

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

oiram
GTAHater wrote
[...]
You forgot Transformers 5.

It's low enough for me, but I do agree that it may not get that noticed if not enough reviews come in. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some critics who didn't see because they refuse to give it any attention.

GTAHater
The Last Knight is a shoo-in for the Worst Picture semifinals, that is, but if Same Kind Of Different As Me turns out as offensive as 9/11, as offensive as the one journalist whom it was pre-screened for described, then The Last Knight will merely be evenly matched in the semifinals against The Emoji Movie, 9/11, Welcome to the Jungle, Same Kind of Different, Boo 2! A Madea Halloween, and perhaps any of Flatliners '017, the My Little Pony remake (there was originally an animated movie in the '980s), Happy Death Day, Geostorm, Jigsaw, Daddy's Home 2, A Bad Moms Christmas, the Death Wish remake, Bastards, or even Villa Capri. The Last Knight is nearly guaranteed for the semifinals, I again concur, but my hunch says it'll end up with 50-50 chances of making the finals. This could be the year where the competition's just too much for a Bayformers sequel!

[...]

Considering that Last Knight is the lowest rated movie of the series, as well as the one that made the least money, indicating that the majority of audiences are finally fed up with the franchise, I strongly doubt that it won't make the finals. I also strongly doubt that Jumanji 2 will actually be a Worst Picture nominee, but that is a topic for another day.

I am glad you brought up Same Kind of Different as Me though. I was starting to think that I was the only one checking to see if it would be a Worst Picture nominee. I think that article you were referring to just talked about the trailer for the movie, unless there was another article.

You know, I don't really see this year as having that many contenders, and I mean ones that truly have a strong chance of being Worst Picture material. I do, however, see this as being the year where a lot of the people who have previously been Razzie nominees/winners make their return. I mean, the list includes, but possibly not limited to: Vin Diesel, Josh Gad, Milla Jovovich, Rob Lowe, Barry Pepper, Faye Dunaway, Ali Larter, Michelle Monaghan, Jamie Dornan, Dakota Johnson, Willem Dafoe, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Kim Basinger, Katherine Heigl, Johnny Depp, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Goldie Hawn, Alicia Silverstone, Tom Cruise, Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Naomi Watts, Ryan Phillipe, Halle Berry, Candice Bergen, Whoopi Goldberg, Gina Gershon, Jeff Nathanson, Terry Rossio, Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman, David Koepp, Peter Chelsom, James Foley, Guy Ritchie, and Michael Bay. I would have possibly even included De Niro, DeVito, Keitel and Grodin in there if they were eligible.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

GTAHater wrote
To oiram: If 9/11 can underpass 15% by Christmas, and nothing worse comes along in the late third of the year, it'll be my wager for Worst Picture.
Well, on RT, it is now at 14%. What are your thoughts?

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

GTAHater wrote
I also hope it doesn't get anything else as forgiving as Alonso DuRalde's score. DuRalde saw some connections between the characters and emotions, but he concurred that it relies too much on the real-life horror to carry much dramatic weight.
Here's his review.

Re: Charlie Sheen & Whoopi Goldberg in a 9/11 movie

I just went back to Rotten T and confirmed it. Finally! Can those negative reviews possibly come in any slower?!?!

Well, it's now my favorite (in the "probability" sense only) to win Worst Picture, provided no more B-Minus-and-up reviews come in to ruin it.