BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

GTAHater
AROUND THE TURN OF THE DECADE, MANY OF US THOUGHT TYLER PERRY WAS ABOUT TO BECOME HIS OWN GENRE. ODDLY ENOUGH, IT’S BEEN 2.6 YEARS SINCE HIS LAST WORK, THE SINGLE MOMS’ CLUB, WHICH GOT THE USUAL NEGATIVE REVIEWS TO BECOME A QUARTERFINALIST FOR OUR AWARDS, BUT DIDN’T MAKE THE FINALS, FOR BETTER OR WORSE. THOSE 2 ½ YEARS ARE THE LONGEST PERRY HAS EVER GONE WITHOUT FOLLOWING UP ANYTHING ELSE HE’S BEEN KNOWN FOR. BUT IF TAKING TO THE COUNTRYSIDE FOR AMERICA’S MOST RELATABLE HOLIDAY AND LANDING A RUNNER-UP SPOT IN THE 2013 WORST PICTURE FINALS FOR A MADEA CHRISTMAS DIDN’T SATISFY HIM, HE’S NOW MAKING A SPECIAL FOR THE MOST RELATABLE SUB-HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR. BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN!

WE’VE GOT JUST AS MUCH REASON AS EVER TO USE “BOO” IN A MORE NEGATIVE SENSE THAN PERRY PICTURED. TAKING UP THE WIG AND DRESS EVERYONE TOLD HIM TO HANG UP NEARLY 3 YEARS AGO, OUR FAVORITE DRAGSTRESS MADEA GETS CAUGHT BETWEEN A FRONT LINE OF SPECTROIDS, NECROIDS, AND HOMICIDAL HUMANOIDS THAT SHE STRUGGLES TO PUSH BACK TO THE FOUL REACHES FROM WHENCE THEY CAME ON ONE SIDE, AND A GROUP OF MISBEHAVED TRICK-OR-TREATERS AND RABBLE-ROUSING TEEN PRANKSTERS RUNNING THROUGH TOWN THAT SHE TRIES TO KEEP IN CHECK ON THE OTHER. SOME CRITICS’ COMPLAINTS ARE SCATHING! THE ALLEGATIONS INCLUDE TOO MANY SCENES REPEATED TOO MANY TIMES EACH, ACTING THAT MANY WOULD CONSIDER WORSE THAN A MIDDLE SCHOOL PLAY, A SET DESIGN TIED TO ONE SETTING THAT MAKES IT FEEL LIKE PERRY ADAPTED IT FROM A STAGE PLAY (WHEN, FOR THE FIRST TIME, HE DIDN’T!), HAS NONE OF THE GOOD LAUGHS OR GOOD SCARES OF HORROR COMEDY CLASSICS LIKE “ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN”, AND PERHAPS IN THE MOST POLITICALLY SENSITIVE PROBLEM FOR OUR TIMES, IT SEEMS TO HAVE NO QUALMS ABOUT VIOLENCE AGAINST CHILDREN.

IF YOU THINK THIS CAN GET AS FAR IN THE RAZZIES AS THE PREVIOUS MADEA WORK, GRAB A GHOSTLY GRAPE AND BOO-BERRY RAZZ-BERRY TART AND BLOW PURPLISH-BLACK AIR AT BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN BELOW!

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

oiram
I noticed that Diamond White is in this movie. I have seen her before and I know she can do better than this.

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), Amy Schumer (nom), and Reese Witherspoon (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Jon Bass (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

According to the Double Toasted review, there are about 5 - 8 public service announcements advertising such messages as going to church, respecting your parents, and beating your kids. Perhaps the worst thing about it was the editing, pacing, and cinematography, so this would've stood better odds at a technical RAZZIE. But a handful of the jokes landed, so they gave it a very low Rental score, which means they merely thought it was below average. That doesn't take away from our odds of RAZZing Boo! A Madea Halloween nor how much it deserves it.

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Vits
And here's the link for that video review.

Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

RXSpeedster
I would just like to point out quickly that Boo! A Madea Halloween also stars one internet prankster by the name of Yousef Saleh Erakat a.k.a. FOUSEYtube. Over the past few months, he's been called out for faking his pranks and attempting to start fake drama to increase his view count on his YouTube channel.

Just recently, he managed to strike down this critical video from Colossal Is Crazy and attempted to justify his actions for doing so, without any regard whatsoever for fair use and copyright laws. I'll leave the re-uploaded video here, it's quite long though.

Could he be nominated for Worst Supporting Actor or better yet, make a case to bring back Worst New Star?

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

I wish, but it seems like the Razzies are not interested in bringing Worst New Star back. Trust me, I would LOVE for this category to be possible.

I think there is another YouTube person in this film as well.

EDIT: Link talking about the YouTube stars in this film.

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

GTAHater
My only idea why they have so little interest in bringing any retired categories back or splitting the Remakes and Knock-Offs from the Prequels and Sequels is probably because each category takes a lot of work and a good 10 minutes to present, and some of the RAZZIE higher-ups can't stand a ceremony that goes past the 2 hour mark. If the presentation process could be streamlined, and a lot of help could be enlisted to make the presentations, we could start negotiations for more categories. If we could accomplish this, I for one would have an Unlucky 13 Categories that I would, from there, do anything to retain for all future ceremonies:

Worst Picture
Worst Screenplay
Worst Director
Worst Actor
Worst Actress
Worst Supporting Actor
Worst Supporting Actress
Worst Couple, Triple, Quartet, or Medley
Worst Ensemble Cast
Worst Prequel, Sequel, Cross-Over, or Spin-Off
Worst Remake, Reboot, Adaptation, or Knock-Off
Worst New Star
Worst Original Song

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Vits
R.T. (20-25%): "It won't win Tyler Perry's long-running franchise many new converts -- but at nine films and counting, it hardly needs to."

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

moviecritic1994
I jut watch Boo! A Madea Halloween and to no one's surprise it was a huge piece of shit. Granted, I'm not really a fan of the Madea character anyway but this movie seemed worse than usual. Yes, it was even worse than A Madea Christmas.

So what's the plot? There isn't one. Ok fine, there is something of a plot here, but really it's so thin I'm surprised this film is a little over an hour and 43 minutes. Madea (of course played by Tyler Perry) is left in charge of babysitting her niece and her friend Aday (I know she's supposedly a YouTube star in real life but I'm not familiar with her work). The two younger girls sneak to this frat party run by Johnathan (played quite obnoxiously by that prankster guy from YouTube). So it's up to Madea and her increasingly annoying friends to save the day I guess. Where do I even start? Well we can start with the simple fact that NOBODY IN THIS MOVIE KNOWS HOW TO ACT!  I'm not being cheeky or anything like that, the entire cast is seriously lacking any talent whatsoever. The worst is not Tyler Perry (he's still pretty bad though) the actual worst actor in this entire movie is that guy Fousey Tube (yes I know he has a name but right now I don't care). I guess Director Tyler Perry wanted him to be just as obnoxious as Madea and her annoying ass posse, that would at least explain his god awful performance here. Hollywood, please don't give this guy a movie career... PLEASE!

The biggest problem with the movie is the script and the overall "story". The first half of the film implies there's going to be some sort of father/daughter learning experience I guess. But once the whole college frat party plot is over, the entire film turns into an unfunny MAD TV sketch. It's just a bunch of old people screaming and acting like idiots for about 30 or 40 minutes. Then just like Dirty Grandpa, they add in some stupid sentimental father/daughter thing that was briefly introduced an hour ago . Again, if this movie was meant to be a farce or even just an unlikeable sketch comedy, I can at least get what it was going for. But this film (just like a lot of Tyler Perry productions) is so emotionally manipulative and has no idea what the hell it's message even is.

If this isn't the worst Madea movie, it's definitely the laziest. Everything feels so thrown together with no real focus or vision. There's a god idea somewhere in this movie, but it's not fully realized and again everything about it is either lazy or just plain out obnoxious. The characters are unlikeable, the acting is beyond sad, the plot is non existent and it's clear Tyler Perry needs to retire this character NOW!

Score: 2/10.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

RXSpeedster
moviecritic1994 wrote
The worst is not Tyler Perry (he's still pretty bad though) the actual worst actor in this entire movie is that guy Fousey Tube (yes I know he has a name but right now I don't care). I guess Director Tyler Perry wanted him to be just as obnoxious as Madea and her annoying ass posse, that would at least explain his god awful performance here. Hollywood, please don't give this guy a movie career... PLEASE!
Fortunately, we all know about his hypocritical, fame-chasing ego who tried to take this video exposing him.

Re: BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Vits
Everything wrong with this movie.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile