Quantcast

BEN-HUR [remake]

GTAHater
THE LAST TIME HOLLYWOOD ADAPTED THE 1880 NOVEL BEN-HUR: A TALE OF THE CHRIST INTO A MOVIE, THEY ENDED UP WITH ONE OF THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL BEST PICTURE WINNERS OF ALL TIME, WHICH I REMEMBER HEAD RAZZ WASN’T EXACTLY A FAN OF. I TOOK SOMEWHAT OF A MIDDLE GROUND ON THE BEST-KNOWN ADAPTATION OF THE TALE, THE ONE STARRING CHARLTON HESTON, AND NAMED IT THE 10TH BEST MOVIE OF ‘959 ON ACCOUNT OF APPARENT CRITICAL ACCLAIM. IN RETROSPECT, I IMAGINE PEOPLE TODAY WOULD’VE PROBABLY GIVEN THAT YEAR’S BEST PICTURE TROPHY TO “SOME LIKE IT HOT”. BUT I DIGRESS, AND I NEED TO LEAD THE DISCUSSION INTO THIS WEEK’S WORST WIDE RELEASE. BEN-HUR ‘959 HAS AN IRREPLACABLE ROLE IN HOLLYWOOD’S TIMELINE, SO ANY BIG-NAME FILM CRITIC HAS TO BE FAMILIAR WITH IT. WITH THE STATE OF HOLLYWOOD IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM, MOST PRO CRIX WERE DOUBLY CERTAIN THAT HOLLYWOOD WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO MAKE A BETTER ADAPTATION FROM THAT SOURCE MATERIAL. WE AT THE RAZZIES WONDERED WHY WE NEEDED ANOTHER ONE, LET ALONE STARRING JACK HUSTON OF BOARDWALK EMPIRE FAME. MOST PEOPLE WITH A DECENT KNOWLEDGE OF CINEMA HISTORY IS GOING TO THINK THE STUDIOS DUG UP THEIR PAST AND RUINED IT AGAIN.

FOR THE FEW PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE BEN-HUR STORY AS DEPICTED IN THE NOVEL, JUDAH BEN-HUR IS A NOBLEMAN WHO GROWS DISTANT FROM HIS ADOPTIVE BROTHER AND EX-BEST-FRIEND “MESSALA” (NO RELATION TO SOUTH ASIAN MASALA CULINARY ART) WHEN THEY DEVELOP OPPOSITE POLITICAL OPINIONS AND WORLD VIEWS. THE DAY IT BOILS OVER, CONVENIENTLY ENOUGH FOR THE RECENTLY CORRUPT MESSALA, COMES RIGHT IN THE WAKE OF A POLITICAL ASSASSINATION. MESSALA FRAMES BEN-HUR FOR THE UNSOLVED MURDER, SENDS BEN-HUR’S FAMILY TO A LEPER COLONY, AND ENABLES A MASTER TO BUY BEN-HUR AS A SLAVE. BEN-HUR ENCOUNTERS JESUS CHRIST, THEN INCOGNITO AND NAMELESS, WHO OFFERS BEN-HUR FRESH WATER JUST BEFORE BEN-HUR CAN WASTE AWAY TO DEHYDRATION. BEN-HUR PUTS UP A DEFIANT BRAWL OF DEMONSTRATION. THIS IMPRESSES ADMIRAL QUINTUS ARRIUS, WHO GIVES BEN-HUR A TEMPORARY RELEASE FROM HIS SLAVE CHAINS. BEN-HUR REPAYS THIS FAVOR BY SAVING ARRIUS FROM THE SWIRLING WATERS WHEN PIRATES FATALLY PUNCTURE THE SHIP. ARRIUS TAKES THE YOUNG BEN-HUR UNDER HIS WING AND RAISES HIM INTO A CHARIOT RACING CHAMPION. BEN-HUR AND MESSALA CHALLENGE EACH OTHER TO A CHAMPIONSHIP RACE, WHERE BEN-HUR WINS, BUT MESSALA SURVIVES SOME GNARLY INJURIES (AND ONLY DIES IN THE ‘959 VERSION). I WON’T SPOIL THIS NEW VERSION’S ENDING DIRECTLY, BUT I’LL STILL SAY IT’S MUCH MORE SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL BOOK, WHICH OFFERS AN UNSATISFYING RESOLUTION WITH THE BETRAYER WHO RUINED BEN-HUR’S YOUNG ADULTHOOD.

WITH CHOPPY EDITING, SPECIAL EFFECTS AS ANTIQUATED AS THE ROMAN EMPIRE IS ANCIENT, AND NO MAJOR NEW IDEAS TO JUSTIFY THE REMAKE, I THINK A MORE APPROPRIATE TITLE WOULD BE “BEN-HURRRRR-RRRRR-RRRRRGH!”

BUT WE ALSO NEED YOUR INPUT! PLANT THE BEN-HUR REMAKE ON A SPEEDING CHARIOT AND SPLINTER THE WOOD ALL OVER THE CIRCUS TRACK BELOW!

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

R.T. (30%): "How do you fight an idea? By filming a remake that has too few of its own, and tries to cover it up with choppy editing and CGI."

Fernando Marambio (2/6): "The film offers little material to keep talking about on the way out of the theatre. [...] Without spoiling, the ending is dissapointing in many ways. The biggest problem: The music sounds like children party songs, but during the next morning. Forgive them BEN-HUR, for they know not what they do."

Ernesto Garratt V. (2/5): "The Technicolor, Miklós Rózsa's full-of-personality score, William Wyler's directing and Charlton Heston's heroic face surface in every moment of this pale version by Russian director Timur Bekmambetov: A man as sensitive as an elephant stepping on eggs, who in 2012 gave us the disastrous ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER. This version isn't exactly a disaster. Jack Huston is serviceable as the Jewish prince, and Toby Kebbell is even more as the villain MESSALA SEVERUS, because there's more space to understand his resentment and search for glory in the Roman Empire."

Ana Josefa Silva: "This version of the character is a pseudo-pacifist that doesn't seem to know that the Roman are in charge. [...] The remake helmed by Timur Bekmambetov, although an hour 1/2(!) shorter than the original, has to spare philosophical babble, parties kind of about nothing, flashbacks and raconteurs without a clear purpose and some naive (if not frankly ridiculous) scenes. Sometimes it's better to leave alone what was already done right. See it anyway: You won't have a bad time."

Richard Roeper's review.

Peter Travers' review.

Chris Bumbray's review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.

Chris Stuckman's video review.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s video review.
GTAHater wrote
IN RETROSPECT, I IMAGINE PEOPLE TODAY WOULD’VE PROBABLY GIVEN THAT YEAR’S BEST PICTURE TROPHY TO “SOME LIKE IT HOT”.
I liked them both equally. However, I've yet to see a movie from that year that I can say that I love.
GTAHater wrote
[...]
You forgot to say "Spoiler alert" first. Actually, why are you summing up the entire plot instead of just the premise?

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

No mention of Morgan Freeman? It appears that with this movie, people have started to say "He is essentially playing a similar, if not the exact same, character every role." With this, London Has Fallen, and Now You See Me 2, the idea of him being a Worst Supporting Actor nominee is getting closer to reality.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

josephebacon
Yes, we're talking real "fromage a la Limburger" here!

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Dun-Ida
My suggestions for nominations:

Worst Picture

Worst Actor
Jack Huston. His performance is wooden for most of the movie. He rarely displays the correct emotions required for the scenes he is in.

Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel

Dishonorable mentions:
Worst Supporting Actor: Toby Kebbell. Worst Director: Timur Bekmambetov. Worst Screenplay: Keith R. Clarke and John Ridley.

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Dun-Ida
Review on Deadline Hollywood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzIKVg4xAJM

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Dun-Ida
Chris Agar's review on Screen Rant.

http://screenrant.com/ben-hur-2016-movie-reviews/

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Vits
I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Actor for Jack Huston (also for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES).
-Worst Supporting Actor for Morgan Freeman (also for LONDON HAS FALLEN and NOW YOU SEE ME PART 2).
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Remake or Rip-Off.
-Worst Picture.
Oh, and maybe Worst Supporting Actor for Toby Kebbell (also for WARCRAFT).

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

GTAHater
If the mediocrity that was Pride And Prejudice And Zombies were bundled in with Jack Huston's ballot recommendation, I'd sooner vote for Kebbell for the far worse Warcraft. He has better odds at Worst Supporting Actor than Huston has at Worst (Lead) Actor anyway.

London Has Fallen deserves to be bundled with Morgan Freeman's recommendation far more than Now You See Me 2.

Although, come to think of it, this remake's best bet at getting even <one> final nomination is: I seem to recall HeadRAZZ or some other RAZZIE higher-ups saying they thought Ben-Hur was too long and bloated. If enough voters agree with him, they might realize how this remake is so far inferior to the '959 original in next to every other way, that they won't let it slide this time.

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

oiram
GTAHater wrote
London Has Fallen deserves to be bundled with Morgan Freeman's recommendation far more than Now You See Me 2.
I would argue here that even if Now You See Me 2 is really not as bad as Ben-Hur and London Has Fallen, Mr. Freeman should still be considered for all three, because at this point he's just doing the same thing in every movie he's in and people are getting sick of it.
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination)

Worst Supporting Actress - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: BEN-HUR [remake]

Dun-Ida
Liam Maguren's review on Flicks.

http://www.flicks.com.au/movie/ben-hur-2016/#flicks