BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

12

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

GTAHater
This hotly anticipated crossover between DC's two biggest superhero names was named the 2nd worst new film of the week on March 25. Here are the relevant facts that might boost its odds in the Worst of 2016 RAZZIE race:

*Its worst supporting performance, and worst miscasting, was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, complete with a makeup, hair, and costume design that was nearly as derided as Dr. Doom's aesthetics in Worst Picture of 2015 co-winner Fant4stic.

*Other major names in the ensemble included Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Jeremy Irons, and Gal Gadot.

*Many regulars at the old RAZZIE forums had online voting based award shows of their own. Many of them had a category for Worst Prequel, Sequel, Crossover, or Spin-Off, for which many could recommend this.

*It flopped with critics, scoring a 27% Tomatometer approval rating and 44% Metascore review average. These aggregate review scores barely exceeded Superman IV: The Quest For Peace or Batman & Robin, and underpassed Batman Forever and Man of Steel.

*It's among Director Zack Snyder's least approved-of films, exceeding only Sucker Punch, a 2011 RAZZIE quarterfinalist.

*It was among the most hotly anticipated titles of the first quarter of the year, adding an insult of disappointment to the injury of negative reviews. This is further exacerbated by some filmgoers charging into it who never listen to pro critics.

Discuss below!

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

I saw it. For your consideration: MAYBE Worst Supporting Actor for Jesse Eisenberg. But NOT:
-Worst Actor for Ben Affleck nor Henry Cavill.
-Worst Supporting Actor for Laurence Fishburne nor for Jeremy Irons nor for Scoot McNairy.
-Worst Supporting Actress for Amy Adams nor for Gal Gadot nor for Holly Hunter.
-Worst Screen Combo.
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Picture.

Peter Travers' review.

Mitch Hansch's review.

Chris Bumbray's review.

Keith & the Movies' review.

Richard Roeper's review.

Jeremy Jahns' review with and without spoilers.

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review with and without spoilers.

Eric Walkuski's review.

William Neff's review with and without spoilers.
GTAHater wrote
It flopped with critics, scoring a 27% Tomatometer approval rating
And the consensus reads: "It smothers a potentially powerful story -- and some of America's most iconic superheroes -- in a grim whirlwind of effects-driven action."

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Vits
Jeremy Irons agrees with the bad reviews.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

George
I saw the film as well. The plot was easy to understand. The critics are overthinking things. Plus, you have Frank Miller, who approved of Ben Affleck Batman. Jeremy Irons never mentioned anything about the movie sucking, just that it was overstuffed. Furthermore, Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor could be possessed by Darkseid or could be an imposter or both. Giving the film a Razzie nom if not awarding it is like giving the chapter of a book a Razzie because you didn't care to read on.

Everything wrong with this movie.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Vits
Everything great about this movie.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Daphne
Interestingly, the ensemble was the strongest part of this mess. Well, except of Jesse Eisenberg of course.

For Your Consideration
Worst Picture
Worst Director: Zack Snyder
Worst Supporting Actor: Jesse Eisenberg
Worst Screenplay
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

faelomaiden

Worst Screenplay

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

moviecritic1994
Ok question... HOW THE HELL DID ANYONE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY?

The sad music implies we are suppose to be terrified/sad, but I can't stop laughing. BTW, nice Christian Bale impression Cavill. I can't wait to review this.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

moviecritic1994
My Review for: BATMAN v SUPERMAN: Dawn of Justice

This might be an unfair comparison, but Batman v Superman might be this decade's Phantom Menace. So much hype surrounded this movie to the point where people are bargaining with themselves and trying to convince themselves that this movie is a masterpiece. In the next 5 or maybe 10 years people will realize Batman v Superman is not very good. In fact maybe people will realize this movie is really bad and a complete mess.

Now is Batman v Superman as bad as Phantom Menace? Of course not, but just the obnoxious way hardcore fan boys are defending it just reminds me of the denial a lot of people had about the first Star Wars prequel. Like I said, it's not a disaster but it's still pretty fucking bad. Batman v Superman has a lot of ideas and concepts for many other movies. Too bad director Zack Snyder and writer David Goyer decided to put all these ideas into one movie. The film suffers from too much going on and not knowing what to do with story elements or characters. Are there good things in it? Sure but the movie is too much of a mess for me to defend it like a lot of people are.

Guys... do I have to describe this plot to you? Ok, but I'll blame you for my headache later. Superman (Henry Cavill)  has faced some backlash for almost destroying Metropolis (I thought this was Zod's fault but ok).  He's faced so much backlash he's gained the attention of Gotham's dark knight Batman (Ben Affleck). Through some really stupid contrivances, conveniences and "genius" plotting by Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) The two "heroes" fight to the death. So yes the first problem with this movie, the plot surrounding the two heroes fighting is SO STUPID! All of the characters in this movie(with possibly the exceptions of Alfred and Lois Lane) are complete idiots. Yes even Batman, who's suppose to be "The World's Greatest Detective" is a moron. It's quite obvious that Lex Luthor is behind this whole plot (I'm not even sure why he's doing all of this anyway) and yet this movie thinks there needs to be this big reveal that the villain is what a shock... THE VILLIAN! Even people who are not comic book readers can see Lex Luthor is behind this very confusing plot because he doesn't hide his evil-ness very well (we'll get to that later).

The acting is very blah to me. If there's one thing people love to defend in this movie, it's the performances. I honestly don't see anything special here from anyone. Clearly, everyone in the cast is trying very hard to work with a shitty script and this movie doesn't do anybody any favors. Ben Affleck isn't very likeable as Batman, Henry Cavill isn't that strong of an actor for any of the "heartbreaking" scenes, Amy Adams is good enough but again the bad script weighs her down and Jesse Eisenberg gives possibly the worst performance in his entire career. I don't care if you call this guy Lex JR, he is just not threatening or villainous at all. Every decision made with Lex Luthor's character  was a terrible decision. Though I will say anytime he was on screen, I laughed my ass off. I had flashbacks to Eddie Redmayne in Jupiter Ascending.

I will say this much for the movie, the parts when Batman and Superman actually fight are not too bad. Sure you have to sit through a ton of shit to get here, but hey at least there was effort somewhere. So I guess if you just want to see the movie for the fight scenes, skip to the last third and enjoy some mindless fun. -Aside from that, Batman v Superman is just a huge mess with no real plot or focus. I remember when people got upset at The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and just how hated that movie was. I'm surprised not a lot more people are hurt by this movie because it's so disappointing and so unlikable in the majority of it's runtime.  I never hated Batman so much since "Batman and Robin". It's almost as if Ben Affleck can't play anything likeable, so David Goyer made the Batman character as despicable as possible. I can go on forever, but I'll just say my score now: 3/10.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Vits
moviecritic1994 wrote
This might be an unfair comparison, but Batman v Superman might be this decade's Phantom Menace. So much hype surrounded this movie to the point where people are bargaining with themselves and trying to convince themselves that this movie is a masterpiece. In the next 5 or maybe 10 years people will realize Batman v Superman is not very good. In fact maybe people will realize this movie is really bad and a complete mess.

Now is Batman v Superman as bad as Phantom Menace? Of course not, but just the obnoxious way hardcore fan boys are defending it just reminds me of the denial a lot of people had about the first Star Wars prequel.

Superman (Henry Cavill)  has faced some backlash for almost destroying Metropolis (I thought this was Zod's fault but ok).
1) If I remember correctly, the fans hated THE PHANTOM MENACE from the start, while critics were more forgiving. With this movie, it seems to be the other way around.
2) People blame them both but, since ZOD is dead, they can only focus their hate on SUPERMAN.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

moviecritic1994
1. The denial of Phantom Menace's crappiness was held by both critics and some fans. Obviously some other fans hated it because it did get nominated all over the place at that year's Razzies. Still, a lot of people (critics and fans) wanted to love it because of the hype surrounding Phantom Menace. I am seeing almost the same thing here with Batman v Superman and on some level Suicide Squad.

2. Ok but does any character know that Zod was the one trying to destroy the earth or whatever the hell his plan was? Yes, there was collateral damage (lots of it) but again that was mostly Zod's doing. Screenwriter David Goyer obviously struggled with trying to find ways to make people turn against Superman and also struggled with trying to find the conflict surrounding Batman and Superman's  big fight. Zack Snyder and David Goyer really do need to be replaced. I really don't like where the DC Universe is going.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

To them, SUPERMAN is an unknown and powerful force, which means more to them than the intentions he claims. They blame him because they hate him and they hate him because they're afraid of him. Even if you're right about it just being bad writing, you can't really blame the DCEU. The MCU used those themes in CAPTAIN AMERICA 3. It's also been used a couple of times before (like in TEAM AMERICA).

Laurence Fishburne defends the movie.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

moviecritic1994
Why am I not surprised?
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com
MPT

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

MPT
Went to watch the movie last year with low expectations because no comic book movie can ever touch the magnificence that was The Dark Knight Trilogy. Still, I was excited to see Batman and Superman in the same movie after decades duking it out in the comics. I ended up liking the film and found it easy to understand. Batman hates Superman for the collateral damage that occurred during the Battle of Metropolis, while Superman hates Batman for his abuse of civil liberties. Unbeknownst to them, Lex Luthor (Jr) is pitting them against each other for his own nefarious purposes.

As for the acting, I was impressed with Ben Affleck Batman; he did a good job in portraying the grizzled veteran that we find in The Dark Knight Returns. Henry Cavill is still further developing his take on Superman. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor did mention his father in one scene, which indicates that we got Lex's son instead of the guy himself.

The Ultimate Edition far surpasses what we got in theaters, though. Hence, we should've gotten that version in the first place because it explains a lot of things. At least the Razzies should admit that the extended cut significantly improves upon the theatrical cut, and that both versions aren't equally Razzie-worthy.

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

Vheid
MPT wrote
The original film was already far too long and convoluted... So i am definitely not going too sit through a version thats even longer and has even more scenes (regardless of how good people claim it is)...

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

MPT wrote
Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor did mention his father in one scene, which indicates that we got Lex's son instead of the guy himself.

At least the Razzies should admit that the extended cut significantly improves upon the theatrical cut, and that both versions aren't equally Razzie-worthy.
1) Everyone got that. It's just that:
A) It seemed like they filmed extra moments after the negative response to the idea that he would play LEX SR.
B) Most people disliked his performance regardless of who he was supposed to be playing.
2) Why? How will things be different?

Re: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

MiguelAntilsu
I'm not a proponent of giving this film Worst Picture (even though GoldDerby users expect us to do exactly that).  The main reason I don't support that outcome is the fact that doing so would further add weight to the indication that we didn't look hard enough in the search for the worst of the year.  That indication was initially perceived by the masses as a result of our excessive nomination of it.
12