BAD SANTA 2

GTAHater
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST AND VAMPIRE ACADEMY, AND IN THE WORKS FOR OVER 7 YEARS, BILLY BOB THORNTON REPRISES HIS ROLE AS AN IMPOSTOR OF KRIS KRINGLE, A THIEF WHO DISGUISES HIMSELF AS PART OF A CHARITY TO INFILTRATE THE STREET FROM WHERE HE PLANS A BIG HEIST. THIS SEQUEL TO AN INDEPENDENT FILM FROM THE AUTUMN OF 2003 HAS BIG STUDIO DNA PRINTED ALL OVER IT, AND THORNTON RIGHTLY ADMITTED HE HAD NO HOPE OF MAKING SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, A SOLID CRITICAL SUCCESS WITH A 78% APPROVAL RATING. I EVEN GAVE IT AN HONORABLE MENTION, WHICH WAS IMPRESSIVE KNOWING HOW CROWDED THE RACE FOR THE TOP 40 FILMS OF ‘003 WAS. FURTHERMORE, THORNTON MADE IT AS A RUNNER-UP IN THE GOLDEN GLOBES.

HOWEVER, IF ONE IS WILLING TO ADMIT THAT THE WORST ACTOR RACE IS TOO COMPETITIVE DESPITE HOW WELL THE RAZZIES KNOW BILLY BOB THORNTON’S NAME, THEN THE BIG STICKING POINT WILL BE KATHY DOYLE-BATES, THE ONLY WOMAN WHOM CO-WRITER SHAUNA CROSS COULD ENVISION IN THE ROLE. PART OF THE INTENT WAS TO MAKE WILLIE TUGBOAT-SOKE’S MOTHER MORE PROMINENT, BECAUSE PLACING A WOMAN AS THE DRUNKEN CHAUVINIST WHO DEFORMS SOKE’S FUTURE COULD POTENTIALLY BE FUNNIER, BUT MIRAMAX AND THE WEINSTEN COMPANY DIDN’T HAVE CRAFT SKILL OR QUALITY IN MIND. HER BIGGEST REASON FOR CONSIDERATION IN OUR AWARDS? SHE WAS ALSO IN BEN FALCONE’S “THE BOSS” BACK IN APRIL.

I’VE SAID WHAT LITTLE I CAN THINK OF THAT I COULD CONFIRM, BUT NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO BE BAD SANTA’S HELPER IN THE QUEST FOR SPICED CHRISTMAS RAZZBERRIES. DELIVER YOUR ROCKS AND COAL TO BAD SANTA 2 BELOW!

Re: BAD SANTA 2

I was going to mention Ms. Bates, but you did it for me, mostly. Now we know that she has been Razzie nominated before for North, but now she appears to be truly slumming it, so attention towards her is quite warranted. Maybe not for a nomination, but at least a ballot slot.

I would like to also turn your attention to Mr. Tony Cox. When he was in the first one, that was pretty much his break out role. But then he appeared in those Friedberg-Seltzer movies, pretty much in the shtick of "Oh, he's black AND a midget! The comedy writes itself!" Except that got old after some time, and what they did do was not really funny to begin with.

This movie feels like more of the same, so he should probably get some consideration for Worst Supporting Actor. Again, he might not get nominated, but it'd be nice to see him on the ballot.

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actor - Tom Cruise (nom), Matt Damon (nom), Johnny Depp, Jamie Dornan (nom), Charlie Hunnam (nom), and Charlie Sheen (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Anna Kendrick (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Mel Gibson (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), J. K. Simmons (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger, Faye Dunaway (nom), Laura Haddock (nom), Goldie Hawn (nom), Isabela Moner (nom), and Rebel Wilson (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BAD SANTA 2

Vits
R.T. (25%): "Loaded up with the same scatological and misanthropic humor as its predecessor but precious little of its heart or genuine wit, the film presents a foulmouthed shadow of Christmas past."

Richard Roeper's review.

Re: BAD SANTA 2

Vits
Dave White's review.

Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BAD SANTA 2

GTAHater
In fact, I hope these bundles are among the Worst Supporting Actress semifinalists:

The 5th Wave and Independence Day: Resurgence for Maika Monroe (Jnr. 22 / Jne. 24)
The 5th Wave and Max Steel for Maria Bello (Jnr. 22 / Oct. 14)
Zoolander 2 and Bad Santa 2 for Christina Hendricks (Fbr. 12 / Nvb. 23)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Criminal, and Keeping Up With the Joneses for Gal Gadot (Mrc. 25 / Apl. 15 / Oct. 21)
Mother's Day and Nine Lives for Jennifer Garner (Apl. 29 / Ags. 5)
Ratchet & Clank and Boo! A Madea Halloween for Bella Thorne (Apl. 29 / Oct. 21)

Re: BAD SANTA 2

oiram
GTAHater wrote
In fact, I hope these bundles are among the Worst Supporting Actress semifinalists:

The 5th Wave and Independence Day: Resurgence for Maika Monroe (Jnr. 22 / Jne. 24)
The 5th Wave and Max Steel for Maria Bello (Jnr. 22 / Oct. 14)
Zoolander 2 and Bad Santa 2 for Christina Hendricks (Fbr. 12 / Nvb. 23)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Criminal, and Keeping Up With the Joneses for Gal Gadot (Mrc. 25 / Apl. 15 / Oct. 21)
Mother's Day and Nine Lives for Jennifer Garner (Apl. 29 / Ags. 5)
Ratchet & Clank and Boo! A Madea Halloween for Bella Thorne (Apl. 29 / Oct. 21)
Wait, so you DON'T want Kathy Bates?

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BAD SANTA 2

GTAHater
I didn't realize I'd implied that. I'm still leaving Doyle-Bates on the table, but it's hard to decide because of how crowded Worst Supporting Actress is this year. All I can say is I'm on the fence.

Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: BAD SANTA 2

Vits
Mitch Hansch's review.