BAD SANTA 2

GTAHater
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST AND VAMPIRE ACADEMY, AND IN THE WORKS FOR OVER 7 YEARS, BILLY BOB THORNTON REPRISES HIS ROLE AS AN IMPOSTOR OF KRIS KRINGLE, A THIEF WHO DISGUISES HIMSELF AS PART OF A CHARITY TO INFILTRATE THE STREET FROM WHERE HE PLANS A BIG HEIST. THIS SEQUEL TO AN INDEPENDENT FILM FROM THE AUTUMN OF 2003 HAS BIG STUDIO DNA PRINTED ALL OVER IT, AND THORNTON RIGHTLY ADMITTED HE HAD NO HOPE OF MAKING SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, A SOLID CRITICAL SUCCESS WITH A 78% APPROVAL RATING. I EVEN GAVE IT AN HONORABLE MENTION, WHICH WAS IMPRESSIVE KNOWING HOW CROWDED THE RACE FOR THE TOP 40 FILMS OF ‘003 WAS. FURTHERMORE, THORNTON MADE IT AS A RUNNER-UP IN THE GOLDEN GLOBES.

HOWEVER, IF ONE IS WILLING TO ADMIT THAT THE WORST ACTOR RACE IS TOO COMPETITIVE DESPITE HOW WELL THE RAZZIES KNOW BILLY BOB THORNTON’S NAME, THEN THE BIG STICKING POINT WILL BE KATHY DOYLE-BATES, THE ONLY WOMAN WHOM CO-WRITER SHAUNA CROSS COULD ENVISION IN THE ROLE. PART OF THE INTENT WAS TO MAKE WILLIE TUGBOAT-SOKE’S MOTHER MORE PROMINENT, BECAUSE PLACING A WOMAN AS THE DRUNKEN CHAUVINIST WHO DEFORMS SOKE’S FUTURE COULD POTENTIALLY BE FUNNIER, BUT MIRAMAX AND THE WEINSTEN COMPANY DIDN’T HAVE CRAFT SKILL OR QUALITY IN MIND. HER BIGGEST REASON FOR CONSIDERATION IN OUR AWARDS? SHE WAS ALSO IN BEN FALCONE’S “THE BOSS” BACK IN APRIL.

I’VE SAID WHAT LITTLE I CAN THINK OF THAT I COULD CONFIRM, BUT NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO BE BAD SANTA’S HELPER IN THE QUEST FOR SPICED CHRISTMAS RAZZBERRIES. DELIVER YOUR ROCKS AND COAL TO BAD SANTA 2 BELOW!

Re: BAD SANTA 2

oiram
I was going to mention Ms. Bates, but you did it for me, mostly. Now we know that she has been Razzie nominated before for North, but now she appears to be truly slumming it, so attention towards her is quite warranted. Maybe not for a nomination, but at least a ballot slot.

I would like to also turn your attention to Mr. Tony Cox. When he was in the first one, that was pretty much his break out role. But then he appeared in those Friedberg-Seltzer movies, pretty much in the shtick of "Oh, he's black AND a midget! The comedy writes itself!" Except that got old after some time, and what they did do was not really funny to begin with

This movie feels like more of the same, so he should probably get some consideration for Worst Supporting Actor. Again, he might not get nominated, but it'd be nice to see him on the ballot.
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: BAD SANTA 2

Vits
R.T. (25%): "Loaded up with the same scatological and misanthropic humor as its predecessor but precious little of its heart or genuine wit, the film presents a foulmouthed shadow of Christmas past."

Richard Roeper's review.

Re: BAD SANTA 2

Vits
Dave White's review.

[...]

In fact, I hope these bundles are among the Worst Supporting Actress semifinalists:

The 5th Wave and Independence Day: Resurgence for Maika Monroe (Jnr. 22 / Jne. 24)
The 5th Wave and Max Steel for Maria Bello (Jnr. 22 / Oct. 14)
Zoolander 2 and Bad Santa 2 for Christina Hendricks (Fbr. 12 / Nvb. 23)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Criminal, and Keeping Up With the Joneses for Gal Gadot (Mrc. 25 / Apl. 15 / Oct. 21)
Mother's Day and Nine Lives for Jennifer Garner (Apl. 29 / Ags. 5)
Ratchet & Clank and Boo! A Madea Halloween for Bella Thorne (Apl. 29 / Oct. 21)

Re: BAD SANTA 2

oiram
GTAHater wrote
In fact, I hope these bundles are among the Worst Supporting Actress semifinalists:

The 5th Wave and Independence Day: Resurgence for Maika Monroe (Jnr. 22 / Jne. 24)
The 5th Wave and Max Steel for Maria Bello (Jnr. 22 / Oct. 14)
Zoolander 2 and Bad Santa 2 for Christina Hendricks (Fbr. 12 / Nvb. 23)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Criminal, and Keeping Up With the Joneses for Gal Gadot (Mrc. 25 / Apl. 15 / Oct. 21)
Mother's Day and Nine Lives for Jennifer Garner (Apl. 29 / Ags. 5)
Ratchet & Clank and Boo! A Madea Halloween for Bella Thorne (Apl. 29 / Oct. 21)
Wait, so you DON'T want Kathy Bates?

GTAHater
I didn't realize I'd implied that. I'm still leaving Doyle-Bates on the table, but it's hard to decide because of how crowded Worst Supporting Actress is this year. All I can say is I'm on the fence.

[...]

Mitch Hansch's review.