Quantcast

Afonso Poyart's SOLACE

GTAHater
ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPT HISTORY, THE BETA PLAN WAS TO MAKE A SEQUEL TO SE7EN, ONE OF THE RETRO TOP 40 MOVIES OF ‘995. FOR REASONS UNKNOWN, THEY DISPOSED OF THE SCRIPT AND WROTE A STORY ABOUT A PSYCHICALLY SUPERPOWERED DOCTOR AND AN FBI SPECIAL AGENT TEAMING UP IN THE MANHUNT FOR A PSYCHIC SERIAL KILLER. THE BAD NEWS FOR DR. JOHN CLANCY IS THAT SERIAL MURDER SUSPECT CHARLES AMBROSE HAD THE ADVANTAGE IN PLANNING HIS FLIGHT FROM JUSTICE. ANTHONY HOPKINS, THE GUY WHO STARRED AS HANNIBAL LECTOR, ONE OF TWO RIVAL VILLAINS IN “THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS” (RETRO TOP 40 MOVIES OF ‘991, #1), HAS SPENT 2 YEARS IN ISOLATION (ALBEIT FOLLOWING HIS DAUGHTER’S UNTIMELY DEATH, A WHOLLY DIFFERENT REASON THAN HANNIBAL THE CANNIBAL), WHEN AN FBI AGENT KNOWN ONLY AS “JOE”, RUNS DESPERATELY OUT OF LEADS AND RECRUITS CLANCY’S PSYCHIC POWERS IN ONE LAST DITCH ATTEMPT TO STOP AMBROSE’S KILLING RAMPAGE.

THE ABOVE IS A DESCRIPTION OF “SOLACE”, A LIMITED RELEASE COMING OUT THIS WEEKEND THAT GOT SOMEWHAT NEGATIVE REVIEWS FROM CRITICS AND HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED FOR THE RAZZIES A LITTLE, WEEKS SINCE IN FACT. THE ONLY AFONSO POYART-DIRECTED FILM IN ENGLISH RATHER THAN BRAZILIAN/PORTUGESE, IT FEATURES THREE OTHER BIG NAMES: COLIN FARRELL (ALEXANDER, BOTTOM 40 FILMS OF ‘004), JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN (RED DAWN REMAKE, BOTTOM 40 FILMS OF ‘012), AND ABBIE CORNISH (MADONNA’S W./E., ALSO BOTTOM 40 FILMS OF ‘012), WHOSE RESUMES WILL SUFFER BECAUSE OF IT. ALREADY INFAMOUS FOR ITS TROUBLED PRODUCTION HISTORY, ITS MAIN COMPETITION FOR THE LIMITED RELEASE TITLE TO REPRESENT OUR RAZZIE FINALISTS IS THE INFAMOUS “TUSK” SEQUEL, “YOGA HOSERS” FROM BACK ON SEPTEMBER 2. WITH BADLY STYLIZED CINEMATOGRAPHY, FINNICKY DIRECTING, OUT-THERE PREMISE AND PLOT GIMMICKS, CLICHED PREDICTABILITY, A CONFUSING AND FLAT, SMOLDERY CONCLUSION, BAD EFFORT TO EXPLORE THE PHILOSOPHY OF DELIBERATE KILLING, UNBELIEVABLE BOREDOM, A BOTCHED RETIREMENT-TO-REDEMPTION TALE, A GLUT OF SUBPLOTS, ALLEGED EXECUTIVE MEDDLING, EVERY NEGATIVE PRO CRITIC REVIEW HAS A DIFFERENT COMPLAINT, WITH SUGGESTS THAT EVERYTHING ABOUT “SOLACE” LICKS *WORD CENSORED WITH SIZZLING SOUND EFFECT*. BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU? TAKE SOLACE IN CONSIDERING “SOLACE” FOR THE RAZZIES BELOW!

Re: Afonso Poyart's SOLACE

oiram
I would not be surprised if it does make the ballots, and I would not be surprised if the opposite was true. Anthony Hopkins has made the ballots before, but like you said, it's release is kind of limited.
Please let Robert De Niro finally be nominated for Worst Actor.

Please do not Razz Ben Affleck this year, at least, because there are others more deserving.

If no one will make this a quote, I will: Emily Blunt played the worst ice based character since Martin Short as Jack Frost and, before that, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.

Re: Afonso Poyart's SOLACE

I already saw this months ago. You'll all have to forgive me for "sinning" as a Razzie voter, but I can't write a F.Y.C. This movie was so forgettable that I don't remember which actors or technical aspects stood out.

R.T. (25%): "It boasts a talented cast and a somewhat intriguing premise, but they're outweighed by a plodding story that teeters between tired clichés and ludicrous twists."

Magdalena Andrade (2/5): "Good actors don't always manage to save weak stories, and that's the case of Sir Hopkins, who's able to give a certain charm to his role as a man who can see the future and read the clues that the killer leaves behind, but he can't do much alongside a convoluted and gimmicky script, textbook co-protagonists (the FBI agents played by Abbie Cornish and Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and an antagonist (Colin Farrell) that's doomed to become one of the least appealing psychos in the history of cinema."

JimmyO's review.
Follow me at @Vits_Chile