ASSASSIN'S CREED

GTAHater
IN THE AUTUMN OF 2007, WHILE CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE WAS PAVING THE WAY FOR ACTIVISION TO LEAD THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY WITH THEIR NOW INFAMOUS PERENNIAL FRANCHISE, UBISOFT DEBUTED A NEW FRANCHISE WHICH, ROUGHLY 9.1 YEARS LATER, BECAME THE NEXT FASTEST MULTIPLATFORM SERIES TO PUMP OUT NEW INSTALLMENTS YEAR AFTER YEAR. IT TAKES PLACE IN AN ALTERNATE REALITY OF EARTH’S HISTORICAL TIMELINE, AROUND THE 3RD CRUSADE LATE IN THE CENTURY 11XX, WHERE ASSASSINS AND TEMPLARS HAVE FOUGHT FOR CENTURIES TO CONTROL SOME HOLY LAND. AN UNREMARKABLE YOUNG MAN NAMED DESMOND MILES PARTICIPATES IN THESE ANCIENT WARS THROUGH A HYBRID TIME MACHINE AND VIRTUAL REALITY DEVICE KNOWN AS “THE ANIMUS”, WHICH TAPS INTO HIS FOREBEARERS’ MEMORIES THROUGH A GENETIC BLOODLINE, WHERE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL ASSASSINS WHO EVER LIVED, ONE “ALTAIR IBN-LA’AHAD” (TRANSLATING FROM ARABIC AS “THE FLYING EAGLE” AND “THE SON OF NOBODY”), FOUGHT TO SEIZE AN ANCIENT MIND CONTROL DEVICE KNOWN AS THE “PIECE OF EDEN”. DESMOND SCOTT HAD GOOD VOICE ACTING AND BAD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, VICE VERSA FOR IBN-LA’AHAD, AND THE GAMEPLAY STYLE SHOWED VERY LITTLE VARIETY. EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THAT FIRST GAME WAS GREAT.

HOLLYWOOD HAS MADE FAR MORE VIDEO GAME MOVIES IN ‘016 THAN NEARLY ANY OTHER YEAR (EXCEPT PERHAPS ‘008), AND GAMERS HAD SOME OF THE HIGHEST HOPES FOR MANY OF THESE FILMS WHICH INSTEAD LET EVERYONE DOWN AND JOINED THE RACE FOR OUR AWARDS. SINCE UWE BOLL WAS CHASED OUT OF THE FILM INDUSTRY LATE LAST DECADE, THE SOURCE MATERIALS HAVE BEEN PROGRESSIVELY MORE FAMOUS WITH LONGER RUNNING HISTORIES. BUT AS IT’S ALWAYS BEEN SINCE THE SPRING OF 1993, NO SUCH FILM ADAPTATION HAS EVER BEEN WELL-REPUTED.

CRITICS KNOW FULL WELL BY NOW THAT VIDEO GAME MOVIES ARE JINXED FROM THEIR INCEPTION, AND UNFORTUNATELY, THIS IS ANOTHER STEP BACK FROM BREAKING THAT CURSE. OTHER THAN ITS CAST, ASSCREED IS BARELY ANY BETTER THAN OTHER SUCH ADAPTATIONS, AND AS USUAL, RELIES FAR TOO MUCH ON CGI. THE PLOT IS TOO MESSY AND CONFUSING, THE ADVENTURE IS DULL AND JOYLESS, AND IT’LL LIKELY FEEL LIKE MUCH LONGER THAN ITS RUN-TIME BECAUSE OF HOW IT DRAGS.

BUT DON’T LET ME CARRY OUT AN ASSASSINATION ON ASSASSIN’S CREED ALONE! IF YOU CAN MAKE A STRONGER CASE FOR CONSIDERING IT FOR OUR AWARDS AT THE LAST MINUTE, CRUSH ASSCREED BELOW!

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Vits
R.T. (20%): "It's arguably better made (and certainly better cast) than most video game adaptations; unfortunately, the CGI-fueled end result still is still a joylessly overplotted slog."

Jeremy Jahns' video review.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Some people have said they have definitely played the games for this movie, but they still did not really give what most people wanted to see, which are mostly the Assassin bits. Even when they do, the filmmakers have many action sequences cut from the fighting in the past to the simulation, and back again, making the audience lose the idea of what is going on. It has been described as not fully taking advantage of the idea and focusing more on the wrong aspect of the game. I can see many wanting to nominate it.

PS: I hate to be "That Guy" right now, but are you planning on a Passengers thread anytime soon? I think that the percentiles on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are low enough, plus lets not forget the fact that it was supposed to be this big blockbuster, as it has two of the newest and hottest (their words, not mine) young stars as a couple, Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. However, it's looking like those aspirations have fizzled out, and such a loss can be pounced upon.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

MiguelAntilsu
Outside of one or two acting nominations, I don't think this will play much of a factor in the Razzie Awards.  You can find a longer assessment in the main forum.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

DTLizard
Vits wrote
R.T. (20%): "It's arguably better made (and certainly better cast) than most video game adaptations; unfortunately, the CGI-fueled end result still is still a joylessly overplotted slog."
Hah, now THAT is damning with faint praise!

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

MiguelAntilsu

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

RXSpeedster

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Chris Stuckmann's video review.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Vits
Keith & the Movies' review.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

DTLizard
I've got a gift certificate for a free movie ticket, guess I'll spend it on this one.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Fernando Marambio (2/7): "The hero has no real motivation. [...] The organization that experiments on LYNCH finances a million-dollar plan, owns a powerful council and manages advanced technology. Director Justin Kurzel only has to print personality and fierceness on them, considering that he had the actors to do it. Marion Cotillard and Jeremy Irons spend more time theorizing about violence than being scary. [...] Since the film insists so much on the details of the Apple of Eden and how to get it, why doesn't it take a second to explain how they're going to make that magic work? RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK didn't have that problem. [...] Fassbender isn't in his most glorious moment. Not even close to what he did in movies like STEVE JOBS, 12 YEARS A SLAVE or SHAME but, being only 39 years old, he seems to be one of the actors that will dominate the screen in the coming years. A stumble isn't a fall, old dog."
DTLizard wrote
I've got a gift certificate for a free movie ticket, guess I'll spend it on this one.
Did you use it?

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

DTLizard
Got round to it yesterday evening, and with the caveat that I haven't played the game.

The main problem IMO with this movie is how uneven it is - it feels like two different movies, mainly because they're using the set-up of the game where your character is in the current day and an organisation makes you relieve the memories of you Assassin Ancestor through the Animus. The movie also does that, with a storyline in 2016 and one in 1492. 1492 was the action-packed parkouring around Andalusia part, and whenever it swapped to more pseudo-sci-fi-philosophical 2016 storyline, the pace just grinded to a halt. Personally, I would've preferred to just go all-in with a storyline set in the past. Could've been a fun action-packed 'retrieve the important item and keep it away from the evil Knights Templar' movie.

I don't know how much of the gameplay is set in modern day, but I'm GUESSING that for most of the videogame you're parkouring and assassinating your way around in the past, not having lots of dialogue with the people operating the device.

So, yeah. It was uneven, it was a movie that didn't seem to know what it wanted to be, and if you're not familiar with the game, the whole 'reliving your ancestor's memories' seems convoluted.

Razzie-wise, I'm considering it for a Worst Screenplay/Worst Picture nom, and Worst Supporting for Jeremy Irons, because he didn't seem to bother at all (he bothered in Batman v Superman, this was just standard generic baddie.) Not considering it worst Actress (Marion Cotillard was all right with the material she was given) or Worst Director (I liked that the scenes set in 1492 were done in Spanish rather than in English/English-with-Spanish-accents.), and the unevenness of the movie is more down to screenplay than director.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Justin Kyle Surendranath
Assassin's Creed is good movie it should not be in The Golden Razzies.

Re: ASSASSIN'S CREED

Vits
Everything wrong with this movie.