ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

GTAHater
BACK IN 2010, TIM BURTON RE-IMAGINED DISNEY’S 1951 ANIMATION MASTERPIECE, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, INTO A LIVE-ACTION PIECE OF MEDIOCRITY WHERE MANY PEOPLE BELIEVE HE TOOK WAY TOO MANY “CREATIVE” LIBERTIES. FOR SEVERAL MONTHS, A FEW NEW POSTERS BACK IN THE OLD FORUM SCREAMED AT US NON-STOP BECAUSE WE WOULDN’T CONSIDER ALICE IN WONDERLAND ‘010 FOR THE RAZZIES THAT THE LAST AIRBENDER LED THE RACE FOR. AS THE 2010 NOMINATIONS PROVED, WE HAD BIGGER FISH TO FRY, INCLUDING TWILIGHT 3, WHICH ALSO HAD NEUTRAL REVIEWS.

BUT WHAT HAVE WE HERE? A SEQUEL? ONE THAT’S GETTING WORSE REVIEWS WITHOUT TIM BURTON BEHIND THE CAMERA? UNFORTUNATELY, YES. ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS IS ALAN “SEVERUS SNAPE” RICKMAN’S BIGGEST POSTHUMOUS FILM ROLE AND SPORTS IMPRESSIVE VISUALS, JUST LIKE THE PREVIOUS ONE, BUT SUFFERS FROM AN UNDERWHELMING SCRIPT THAT DISTANTLY UNDERPASSES ALL THE BEST CINEMATIC WORK BASED ON LEWIS CARROLL’S LITERATURE. IT HAS AMONG THE YEAR’S BIGGEST ENSEMBLE CASTS AMONG FILMS WITH NEGATIVE REVIEWS, THREATENING HARSH FORTUNES FOR ALL INVOLVED, ALONG WITH CONSIDERATION FROM US FOR WORST ENSEMBLE CAST.

BUT WHAT SAY YOU? IF YOU CAN STRENGTHEN THE ARGUMENT FOR CONSIDERING ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS FOR THE WORST OF 2016 RAZZIES, OR HAVE A BETTER IDEA WHAT TO NOMINATE IT FOR, BREAK ALICE’S MIRROR BELOW!

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

R.T. (25-30%): "It's just as visually impressive as its predecessor, but that isn't enough to cover for an underwhelming story that fails to live up to its classic characters."

Andrés Nazarala R. (3/7): "Despite everything, Bobin surpasses his predecessor with a convoluted story that includes flashy elements like 3D psychedelia, retro-futuristic gadgets, Sacha Baron Cohen playing TIME (one of the main characters of this project) and an ALICE that's stuck between fantasy and the greeds of the British high society. A children's movie about alienation. IDEAL FOR: Seeing Mia Wasikowska in another period piece."

Gabriel Bahamondes (2/6): "If the 2010 movie directed by Tim Burton already left a lot to be desired, this sequel helmed by filmmaker James Bobin (THE MUPPETS) falls apart almost entirely by attempting to leave an impact only through its shape, extravagances and a parade of twisted secondary characters."

Ana Josefa Silva: "Behind all the shenanigans and adventures, at the end of the day the movie is a story about how affections, friendships, families, how we live and how we're affected by losses, how we make mistakes and hurt our loved ones; that sentence one should never have uttered because if we had known the pain we caused to those we love we never would've said it. KEEP AN EYE: Don't bring small kids. There are a lot of subplots and some scary worlds."

Peter Travers' review.

Richard Roeper's video review.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Diego Muñoz (1/5): "Poor Lewis Carroll. To say that this saga that Tim Burton started with the previous movie (2010) is ALICE IN WONDERLAND "only by name" is being generous. [...] The relationships between the characters feel forced and perhaps the worst crime of all is to try to inject logic into a world that has always been characterized for its almost pathological madness."

Chris Bumbray's review.

Jeremy Jahns' video review.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

I just saw it. For your consideration:
-Worst Actor (or Supporting Actor?) for Johnny Deep.
-Worst Actress for Mia Wasikowska.
-Worst Supporting Actress for Helena Bonham Carter.
-Worst Screen Ensemble.
-Worst Director.
-Worst Screenplay.
-Worst Prequel or Sequel.
-Worst Remake or Rip-Off.
-Worst Picture.

William Bibbiani's video review.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

DTLizard
Is it more Johnny Depp being Johnny Depp like in last year's Mortdecai? Because dear Lord, he was annoying in that film.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Vits
Yes, it's another quirky comedic performance from him. Although, if you've seen the 1st installment, you should know what to expect.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Vits
Everything wrong with this movie.

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

moviecritic1994
I just saw this movie and yeah it wasn't that good.

Full disclosure here, I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the first Tim Burton Alice film. But I also know I'm in the minority here. During the first film's release, people were already starting to get tired of Johnny Depp's shtick and 7 years later his tendency to phone in performances has only gotten worse. I really like the first Alice film because it seemed more like a different interpretation of the work rather than a remake that is suppose to be connected to the book and/or the 1951 animated film. So yes, the 2010 film didn't bother me too much.

The sequel however is a different story. Through The Looking Glass is again trying to do it's own thing with the Wonderland universe but... the film's plot seems so non-existent. Yeah say what you want about the first film's story having too much of a flowing narrative in a world where there is no logic, but at least there was a Plot there! The simple plotline is this: Alice goes back to Wonderland to save the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) from himself decaying away from depression. Ok, that's a great start. He supposedly lost his family during the fateful day The Red Queen   took over Wonderland. However the Hatter still believes his family is still alive and really needs help saving them.

Ok, that's not too bad of a set up. So how does this movie fuck it all up? By adding Time Travel! Don't get me wrong Time Travel in a story isn't inherently a bad plot device. But as a screenwriter/filmmaker, you have to know what you're doing. Screenwriter Linda Woolverton has no idea how to properly incorporate this whole time travel thing into this film. The first 30 minutes or so if this movie is not too bad, but once they enter in the Time Travel element the film loses all sense of flow. It's a mess and all the good acting in the world can't save it. Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway and the rest of the cast do a pretty good job with their roles. Yes even Johnny Depp didn't bother me too much here either. I've seen far worse performances from him (*Cough* Mortdecai *Cough*).

All in all, Through The Looking Glass is definitely a step down from the first film. The plot is a huge mess and it wasn't fun at all. It really doesn't matter if you liked the first film or not, odds are you won't like this one.

Score: 4/10
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

oiram
Hiya moviecritic! It's been a while. :)
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Thanks Oiram, it's good to be back
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

I'm glad you're back too. I noticed you didn't mention the nominations it received. Do you agree with them? Will you vote for them?

I don't necessarily agree with Johnny Depp's two nominations, but I do understand and agree with the Worst Sequel nomination. Will I be voting for that? I'm not sure yet. I still have to sit through other nominees like Batman V Superman and TMNT Out of the Shadows.
You can see reviews of older films under Tommy Bay at hubpages.com

Re: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Razzies are the Worst
Falling 'star' Johnny Depp should be cited for his 'work' in Yoga Hosers as well as AliceTtLG... #worstsupportingactor
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson