2018's likely Razzie contenders

12

2018's likely Razzie contenders

I wanted to make this because of how the new year is coming soon, and also because I wanted to have sort of a guessing game as to what might actually be "The Worst" of next year.

I have six ideas, as well as a few honorable mentions. I would also like to see/hear what you guys think might be contenders. So, without further ado, in release date order:

1 - Fifty Shades Freed: Do I need to say why? The third film in a Razzie winning franchise, with the second film poised to be a major contender if not outright winner... There really is nothing else to say except this will be no surprise.

2 - Peter Rabbit: Coming out the same time as #1, the first trailer just left people annoyed and angry. I think the second trailer might have been not as badly received, but even if you are not a fan of the books that they were based on, you can tell that this just looks like a pandering chore to sit through. Also, considering that this is a live-action film with CGI animals thrown in, and that the rabbit appears to be voiced the most obnoxious way possible by James Corden, I would not be surprised if he gets a Worst Actor nom for his voice alone.

3 - Blockers: A lesser known movie, but man does it look painful... even more so than Peter Rabbit! Let's see now, we have adults not knowing about technology, adults making jokes/remarks that sound creepy in hindsight, and adults doing something stupid, not to mention possibly dangerous. The writer of the Pitch Perfect movies is making her directorial debut, bringing to life a screenplay written by FIVE WRITERS! Boy, does it show that there were five writers. Last but not least is that John Cena just looks poised to be a Worst Actor or Worst Supporting Actor contender, not just for this film, but also another which we will get to later.

4 - A Star is Born: The fourth version of this story, oh boy... So, this one as been in development hell for a while. Last I heard of it, the movie was going to be directed by Clint Eastwood of all people, and was going to star Razzie nominee Beyoncé. Now Eastwood is a producer, with the star now being... Razzie nominee Lady Gaga?... Okay, I don't think Beyoncé is a good actress, but I could see her being a normal person more convincingly than Lady Gaga! (Whom, admittedly, is being credited as her real name, Stefani Germanotta.) And that would be distracting enough, but this project, out of all projects, is also the directing and writing debut of the other star in this movie... Bradley Cooper? Really? This was the one you thought had to be your directing and writing debut? And you are going to direct people like Sam Elliott, Dave Chappelle, and Razzie winner Andrew Dice Clay?... Well, I think Elliott is too good; he's unrazzable. But Chappelle, as funny as he can be, is playing a character called "Noodles"... I'm scared about how that will turn out. And admittedly, Dice Clay does look a little like Gaga's real life father, so I could see the reason to cast him... but in this project, I just think that this means he's going to be returning to the Razzies as a Worst Supporting Actor nominee. And to top it all off, there are FIVE OTHER WRITERS BESIDES COOPER! Some of which have written some RAZZIE NOMINATED/WINNING MOVIES! So, in conclusion, I do not have high hopes for this remake.

5 - Alita: Battle Angel: Speaking of development hell projects, I remember Alita being talked about for years. Initially, James Cameron was going to direct, using the Avatar technology to help create this movie. I assume he got too busy with making an Avatar franchise, so he handed off the directing duties to Robert Rodriguez. Now this man needs a hit right now. Last three movies he did bombed pretty badly. If this fails, I think it will be the end of Rodriguez's movie career. Seeing the trailer did make me think that they are trying to take this seriously, although it not only looks like it could potentially be boring, it also has the main character looks weird with those "anime" eyes. Now that might be the point, but it also makes it less believable that the character, robot or not, is actually there. I also wonder how much of Cameron's ideas are still within this, as the screenplay was also written by Rodriguez and Laeta "Alexander" Kalogridis. When James Cameron first wrote Rambo: First Blood Part II, Stallone then came in and changed a lot of his ideas, leading to Cameron co-winning Worst Screenplay even though it wasn't really his anymore. So I can't say for sure, but I would not be surprised if this turns out to be a major Razzie contender.

6 - Bumblebee: Last but not least... or is it? So yeah, the Transformers films have been the thorn in our backside for a while. Seems like they won't go away just yet. But to be fair, we do not have Bay at the directing helm this time. This spin-off will be directed by Laika's Travis Knight. Granted, considering that he started off as a rapper, he might not always have the best judgement. However, his last, as well as first, directed film was Kubo and the Two Strings, which got a special effects Oscar nom, so that could help on effects. The problem, though, is that the writer we have is Christina Hodgson, the same woman who gave us the Razzie nominated Shut In and the potentially Razzie nominated Unforgettable. I would not be surprised if Bumblebee turned out to be as bad as those. Also, the other movie that I said could help in getting Cena a Razzie nom? This is it.

Honorable mentions:

1 -  The War with Grandpa: The only reason I did not put this in the big list is because I don't know if it will actually be released. Not only is there no trailer when the movie is supposedly two months away, but also there is the fact that The Weinstein Company is supposed to distribute this. Considering what that company is going through, I doubt they are capable of distributing right now. If I were to put it on, it would be a top contender. Director and writers have shoddy track records, people like De Niro and Walken have been slumming it... I think De Niro should avoid movies with the word "Grandpa" in the title.

2 - Solo: A Star Wars Story: I was initially not going to put this on here, but considering what happened behind the scenes, I am honestly skeptical here. Plus I have heard many a fan say that part of the appeal of Solo is not knowing much about his past, so why should we make a movie? Those factors have me scared about the movie, though at this point, I still feel that it can't be as bad as the other ones mentioned above.

Worst Picture - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (nom), The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Actor - Tom Cruise (nom), Matt Damon (nom), Johnny Depp, Jamie Dornan (nom), Charlie Hunnam (nom), and Charlie Sheen (nom)
Worst Actress - Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Anna Kendrick (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)
Worst Supporting Actor - Mel Gibson (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), J. K. Simmons (nom), and John Turturro (nom)
Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger, Faye Dunaway (nom), Laura Haddock (nom), Goldie Hawn (nom), Isabela Moner (nom), and Rebel Wilson (nom)
Worst Screen Combo - Any two robots, actors, or robotic actors (nom), Tom Cruise and either Sofia Boutella, Jake Johnson, or Annabelle Wallis (nom), The Entire Cast of Fifty Shades Darker, The Entire Cast of 9/11 (nom), The Entire Voice Cast of The Emoji Movie (nom), and Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn/Snatched (nom)
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel - Baywatch (nom), CHiPs (nom), The Emoji Movie (Rip-Off of Inside Out, The Lego Movie, and Wreck-It Ralph) (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Tyler Perry (nom), and Guy Ritchie (nom)
Worst Screenplay - The Emoji Movie (nom), Fifty Shades Darker, The Mummy (nom), 9/11 (nom), Suburbicon (nom), and Transformers: The Last Knight (nom)
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
oiram wrote
I don't think Beyoncé is a good actress, but I could see her being a normal person more convincingly than Lady Gaga!

Dice Clay does look a little like Gaga's real life father, so I could see the reason to cast him... but in this project, I just think that this means he's going to be returning to the Razzies as a Worst Supporting Actor nominee.

Solo: A Star Wars Story: I was initially not going to put this on here, but considering what happened behind the scenes, I am honestly skeptical here.
1) What about DREAMGIRLS, CADILLAC RECORDS, AUSTIN POWERS PART 3 or AMERICAN HORROR STORY?
2) I'm giving him a chance after his work on BLUE JASMINE, which by the way may have influenced the decision to cast him.
3) I don't know... The story is very similar to ANT-MAN's production and that movie still ended up being good.

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits wrote
oiram wrote
I don't think Beyoncé is a good actress, but I could see her being a normal person more convincingly than Lady Gaga!

Dice Clay does look a little like Gaga's real life father, so I could see the reason to cast him... but in this project, I just think that this means he's going to be returning to the Razzies as a Worst Supporting Actor nominee.

Solo: A Star Wars Story: I was initially not going to put this on here, but considering what happened behind the scenes, I am honestly skeptical here.
1) What about DREAMGIRLS, CADILLAC RECORDS, AUSTIN POWERS PART 3 or AMERICAN HORROR STORY?
2) I'm giving him a chance after his work on BLUE JASMINE, which by the way may have influenced the decision to cast him.
3) I don't know... The story is very similar to ANT-MAN's production and that movie still ended up being good.
1) Can't say for the first two, though I assume her strength was in the singing parts. She was just passable in Austin Powers. And what about American Horror Story? Wasn't Gaga's character killing people in that show? That isn't necessarily what I qualify as a "normal" person.
2) I just don't know how well he can act when it is a movie being directed by a first timer.
3) Last I checked, the thing with Ant-Man happened BEFORE filming. This thing with Solo happened DURING filming.

[...]
Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Ordinarily, I would be against this discussion until the new year officially begins, but I've got enough complaints about some of our fellow forum members' ideas as to what to nominate for the Worst of '017, as well as some apprehension about whether Guigui's 9/11 can beat Fifty Shades Darker and The Emoji Movie for Worst Picture. Because of that, I'm not going to expend any energy playing the "too early" card this time.

Here are the films I imagine as most likely to get panned by critics in '018. The focus is near entirely on wide releases, since they get the most publicity and the heaviest consideration for the RAZZIES.

*Insidious: The Last Key (1-05-018) //It's a horror film, and the first film out of the gate. We all know how badly that's worked out for Hollywood in almost every year since '008.
*Fifty Shades Freed (2-09-018) //No introduction needed. It seems like the Fifty Shades franchise has the best odds of setting a new precedent by winning Worst Picture at least twice, and if Fifty Shades Darker gets beaten by Emoji or Guigui's 9/11, there's still one more chance with Freed.
*Peter Rabbit (2-09-018) //For many of the same reasons that oiram mentioned, plus director Will Gluck's resume includes F.U.: Fired Up! (Bottom 40 Films of '009, #23) and Annie [remake] (Bottom 40 Films of '014, #10)
*The War With Grandpa (2-23-018) //For the same reasons oiram brought up, plus the director's resume, which includes Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (Bottom 40 Films of '006, #16), Alvin and the Chipmunks (Bottom 40 Films of '007, #28), and HOP (Bottom 40 Films of '011, #35). Although nothing has suggested the release has been canned yet...
*Death Wish [remake] (3-02-018) //Every last one of the sequels got panned by critics, if I remember correctly. I doubt a remake or reboot would do much better.
*The Strangers: Prey At Night (3-09-018) //I still have questions about whether it'll get a wide release, but I remember the first one getting a D Plus (35 - 39% approval rating) or C Minus (40 - 44% approval) in late spring of '008. Almost a decade later, this sequel is up against steep odds.
*Tomb Raider [remake] (3-16-018) //Whether you enjoyed the ones from the early 00-Agents' decade as a guilty pleasure or not, one has to keep in mind that the first two got negative reviews from critics for many good reasons, and landed on the Bottom 40 Films of '001 and '003. As a video game movie, this remake will probably turn out even worse.
*Acrimony (3-30-018) //As we all know, most Tyler Perry films have been universally panned by critics since '012. A mild exception is Perry Presents Peeples, which got negative-to-neutral reviews in May of '013. I doubt there's anything else I need to say.
*Blockers (4-06-018) //oiram already explained it, but I didn't remember it until I saw the poster, featuring the silhouette of a rooster, and linked it to its beta name The Pact. Plus, Leslie Mann has recently been in Nick Cassavetes' The Other Woman (Bottom 40 Films of '014, #13), Vacation '015 (Bottom 40 Films of '015, #15), and The Comedian (a finalist for the Bottom 40 Films of '017).
*Show Dogs (4-06-018) //A live-action comedy starring a dog voiced by Ludacris, directed by Raja Gosnell (one each of the Bottom 40 Films of '002, '004, '011, and '013).
*Rampage (4-20-018) //Another video game movie, and one with even less hope for success than Warcraft or Assassin's Creed, both of which eventually got negative reviews and earned themselves a place on the Bottom 40 Films of '016.
*Super Troopers 2 (4-20-018) //A sequel to a movie that, while popular with audiences and fans (an A on the Flixster Popcorn Bucket, in fact), got a D Plus on the Tomatometer. This Super Trooper sequel has been in development hell for 12 years, and while the original Zoolander was roughly as popular and scraped a B Minus on the Tomatometer (and a place on the outskirts of the Top 40 Films of '001), look how the sequel, Zoolander No. 2, turned out after a decade and a half (Bottom 40 Films of '016, #4). The Hangover sequels' failures (Bottom 40 Films of '011 and '013) cast further doubt that a restricted comedy sequel can ever work.
*Animal Crackers (5-04-018) //Finally getting a release after an indefinite delay last year, and unrelated to the Marx Brothers' comedy of the same name (Primeval Top 20 Motion Pictures of '930, #2), nothing concrete or conclusive suggests it'll get anything but negative reviews.
*Life of the Party (5-11-018) //Another Falcone-McCarthy collaboration, sounding like another of her typecast roles alongside Tammy (Bottom 40 Films of '014, #12) and The Boss (Bottom 40 Films of '016, #39).
*A Star Is Born '018 (5-18-018) //oiram has said plenty already. All intuitions point towards this turning out worse than the already divisive '976 version.
*The Spy Who Dumped Me (7-06-018) //Based on intuition and the recent poor success rate with Bond/spy spoofs.
*Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! (7-20-018) //Slightly held back by limited audience appeal, the original scraped a high C from critics, and if I remember correctly, it still won Worst Supporting Actor for Pierce Brosnan's singing. A decade later, it's hard to imagine this could earn much forgiveness from critics or most audiences a second time.
*Teen Titans Go! to the Movies (7-27-018) //Apart from the stupid syllabic emphasis implied by its title, it was one of the most un-called-for film adaptations of any Japanese-meets-Western animated TV shows ever, and it'll be roughly a decade and a half since the day in '003 alone when I found out about the franchise.
*A Madea Family Funeral (8-03-018) //The next Madea film. They've all sucked since '012. 'nuff said, moving on.
*Barbie (8-08-018) //An adaptation of a notorious Mattel toy for girls in their single digits that society has deservedly challenged for decades. Can anyone tell me whether Lisa vs Malibu Stacy was a good commentary on those controversies?
*Halloween '018 (10-19-018) //A second attempt to remake the Halloween series. No matter how many common audiences loved the '007 remake, it still got a solid D on the Tomatometer, and was even selected over fellow 8-31-007 release Balls Of Fury as a quarterfinalist for the Worst of '007 RAZZIEs, and the Halloween II remake earned a place on the Bottom 40 Films of '009. Why should this 2nd remake be anything but worse than the first remake?
*Bumblebee: The Movie (12-21-018) //I don't know how it'll look when it's surrounded by so many other Christmas-time releases, but I'm only expecting it to get reviews as negative as Dark Of The Moon (Bottom 40 Films of '011, #5).

I'd give a moderate risk of negative reviews for these:

*Proud Mary (1-12-018) //From director of Babak Najafi, responsible for London Has Fallen (Bottom 40 Films of '016, #13)
*Den of Thieves (1-19-018) //From director Christian Gudegast, who screen-wrote A Man Apart (Bottom 40 Films of '003, #33) and London Has Fallen. Stars Gerard Butler and 50 Cent.
*Maze Runner: The Death Cure (1-26-018) //The final link in the Maze Runner trilogy, which has seen diminishing aggregate review scores. Perhaps this one might finally score low enough for our awards.
*Game Night (2-23-018) //Reviews-wise, co-director John Francis Daley has had some bad history with Jason Bateman recently.
*Gnome Alone (3-02-018) //One of two gnome films coming out in the winter of '018, this one comes from Vanguard animation, which previously put out Happily N'Ever After (Bottom 40 Films of '007, #27) and Space Chimps ('008 Dishonorable Mention). Only question is whether it'll get a wide release.
*The Hurricane Heist (3-09-018) //You might recognize it by its beta name Category 5, but the biggest red flag is director Rob Cohen, whose resume includes one each of the Bottom 40 Films of '000, '002, '005, '008, '012, and '015.
*Sherlock Gnomes (3-23-018) //Originally developed as a sequel to Gnomeo & Juliet, which scraped a C Plus approval rating, and was lucky to even score that much, this one looks a little bit worse. But it may pull through and scrape neutral reviews again.
*Midnight Sun (3-23-018) //If they actually release this film starring Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger (who resembles a pre-teen in most of his pictures), this might make for a good wild card before we see the reviews.
*Ready Player One (3-30-018) //An adaptation of a dystopian virtual reality science fiction novel involving a planetary contest, starring Tye Sheridan (who looks like he was born in '007 in some of his pictures).
*Overboard [remake] (4-20-018) //Anna Faris in a remake of a late '980s romantic comedy. Even chances of either turning out forgivable or awful.
*Duck Duck Goose (4-20-018) //A computer animated story about several animals' presumably arduous journey home, named after a schoolyard game.
*Truth or Dare (4-27-018) //Unrelated to the Madonna movie of the same name from '991, this Blumhouse production involves college students turning this otherwise kids' game into a paranormal interaction and getting themselves in danger, likely in Blumhouse's own signature style.
*Slender Man (5-18-018) //Adapted from one of the decade's most infamous creepypasta characters, and nobody knows anything about him outside that community. Screen Gems is a particularly risky studio for what is essentially creepypasta's theatrical debut.
*Valley Girl [remake] (6-29-018) //A remake of a much better received '980s movie than Overboard, but this one's an even bigger risk because there's a lot more to live up to, and a lot more at stake for fans of the original.
*I Feel Pretty (6-29-018) //Despite the success of Trainwreck (Top 40 Films of '015), it seems as though Snatched (slated for the Bottom 40 Films of '017) has thrown her reputation for a loop, and her odds of success are down to about 50-50.
*The Purge: The Island (7-04-018) //This 4th Purge film within barely more than a half decade might be where the series' luck with neutral reviews finally runs out.
*Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (7-13-018) //Adding Half-Year's elements into the Halloween mix (Half-Year's Day is July 1, and it's celebrated with nautical and beach themes), this might also be where the Hotel Transylvania franchise's luck in scraping neutral reviews runs out.
*The Meg (8-10-018) //Piscinoid (aquatic, literally "fish-like" or "fish-similar") monster films this decade have usually gotten mildly positive or mixed reviews, but the megalodon shark on contemporary TV has brought several networks' credibility and quality into question. And it's directed by John Turteltaub.
*Scarface '018 (8-10-018) //I for one can't think of a way to improve upon the original (Primeval Top 20 Motion Pictures of '932, #2) and the Russell-DePalma remake (Retro Top 40 Movies of '983, #3), but then again the Coen Brothers could just as easily lead Hollywood to a 3 for 3 victory.
*Goosebumps: Horror Land (9-14-018) //At the risk of sounding like I'm getting my hopes too high for more RAZZberries to grow next year, I don't think the franchise will get so lucky this time.
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas [remake] (11-09-018) //Despite enjoying immense popularity with the public and forgivable reviews on the Tomatometer, it still won several RAZZIE semifinals for being in the shadow of Jim Carrey's best '990s work, fellow Ron Howard movie Apollo 13 (For the same great reasons I gave it special honor as #1 on the Retro Top 40 Movies of '995, there was immense hype and high expectations for everything he directed over those next few years), and the late '960s or early '970s made-for-TV animated movie, and landed on the Bottom 40 Films of '000 at #19 on principle. What kind of stylizations can Cumberbatch improvise onto the Grinch?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
oiram wrote
what about American Horror Story? Wasn't Gaga's character killing people in that show? That isn't necessarily what I qualify as a "normal" person.
Ah, I thought you meant that you also don't find her to be a good actress.
GTAHater wrote
Can anyone tell me whether Lisa vs Malibu Stacy was a good commentary on those controversies?

Blumhouse's own signature style.

Screen Gems is a particularly risky studio
1) Certainly!
2) What is it?
3) Why?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
IN BETWEEN has already received a positive consensus. INSIDIOUS PART 4: THE LAST KEY.

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
The reviews for "Insidious: The Last Key" are coming in.  At the time of this post, it has a Tomatometer Rating of 27% (based on 15 reviews) and a Metascore of 57% (based on 7 reviews).

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Good that you brought it to our attention, because I'd never heard of it... and I have a feeling that I'm not the only one here.

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
Kiernan Shipka as SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH: Yay or nay?

What's less necessary: This or this?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
R.I.P. Jerry Van Dyke.

They really need to give Sabrina a break.

Hard choice... Maybe number 2.

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
1) R.I.P. Jerry.
2) What do you mean by "break"?

Redeemer: M. Night Shyamalan

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
Sara Bareilles as MARY MAGDALENE: Yay or nay?
oiram wrote
Y'know, not use the character for a while?
Have there been that many adaptations?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

All I know about Bareilles is two of her songs, "(Not Gonna Write You a) Love Song" from the turn of '007 to '008, and "(Who Made You) King Of Anything" from May of '010. In the latter case, that was only because it was on a previous workplace's playlist. What else has Bareilles been known for since then?

About Sabrina: The only one I know about is #5 on the Ancient Top 30 Movies of '954, starring Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden, adapted from the unrelated stage play Sabrina Fair.

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

PADDINGTON PART 2 has already received a positive consensus. THE COMMUTER has received positive early reviews, but they could get worse. We should focus on it and PROUD MARY.
GTAHater wrote
What else has Bareilles been known for since then?
You haven't heard her song BRAVE? Or at least read about the controversy?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

GTAHater
Very few people online, let alone on social media (which I'm aware this isn't) will realize this, but I hardly recognize any songs from this decade. I had to look up Sara Bareilles' Brave. It was inspired by a friend struggling to come out as LGBT, but the controversy was instead about Katy Perry's "Roar", which sounded similar and sparked some drama between their fanbases over perceived plagiarism by Perry. That was back in '013, and the only songs from that year I can name are "(We'll Never Be) Royals" by Lorde, and "(I Live For the) Applause" by Lady Gaga.

Millie Bobby Brown as ENOLA HOLMES: Yay or nay?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
Dominic West, David Oyelowo, Lily Collins, Adeel Akhtar, Olivia Colman, Ellie Bamber, Josh O’Connor and Erin Kellyman as JEAN VALJEAN, INSPECTOR JAVERT, FANTINE, MONSIEUR THENARDIER, MADAME THENARDIER, COSETTE, MARIUS and EPONINE: Yay or nay?

Re: 2018's likely Razzie contenders

tsarstepan
Listening and following this thread as well.
12