2017's likely Razzie contenders

123456 ... 38

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Vits wrote
Happy birthday, Oiram!
Thank you, Vits.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
The People's Choice Awards winners.
oiram wrote
It looks like XXX 2 (or 3, I should say) might not be Razzie material.
I guess that we shouldn't be surprised that it's pulling a FAST 5, since it has the same star/producer.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Vits wrote
oiram wrote
It looks like XXX 2 (or 3, I should say) might not be Razzie material.
I guess that we shouldn't be surprised that it's pulling a FAST 5, since it has the same star/producer.
Actually, scratch that. It dropped from about 84% to 69%. Could end up being one of ours after all if it continues to get lower.

Interesting how Johnny Depp won an award despite the press about him these days.

Also, was not expecting Finding Dory to win big like this.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
A scandal regarding one of the remaining January releases is developing: LINK.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

R.I.P. Miguel Ferrer.

What's less necessary: This, this or this?
oiram wrote
Actually, scratch that. It dropped from about 84% to 69%. Could end up being one of ours after all if it continues to get lower.

Interesting how Johnny Depp won an award despite the press about him these days.
1) Now it's in the 40s.
2) I saw his speech and I think he alluded at that. Well, he tried. He seemed to have troubles making full sentences.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Vits wrote
R.I.P. Miguel Ferrer.

What's less necessary: This, this or this?
1: Aw... That's really sad. I like many of his voice roles.

2: I'm going to say the last one.

The Chile Critics Circle chose ARRIVAL as the best foreign film of 2016.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
GOLD has received mixed early reviews. We should focus on RESIDENT EVIL PART 6 and maybe A DOG'S PURPOSE.

Anne Hathaway as FREDDY BENSON: Yay or noy?

What's less necessary: This or this?

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

The London Critics' Circle Award winners.

I just saw the nominations video. 12/38* of my votes made it, while the one I voted for in the Worst Screen Combo category wasn't nominated. I must say I'm very disappointed with the nominations. There are movies and performances that were considered by most people either not so bad or even not bad at all**. Not the majority but, for an award as important as the Razzies, it's a large percentage. The irony is that, this year, the number of nominees was expanded in all categories.

*I only chose 3 in Worst Supporting Actress.
**Ben Affleck, Nicolas Cage, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, Aubrey Plaza and Sela Ward. And I still don't get how a documentary can be nominated for Worst Screenplay.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

I am surprised that Zoolander 2 got that many votes. Honestly though, I am mostly "meh" about the nominees, even though a lot of them I wanted, some I would have rather not had, but whatever. I'll just get through the year, make it quick.

This year should be more fun, however, with Fifty Shades Darker on the horizon.

EDIT: You know what disappoints me the most? No Razzie Redeemer Award.

I felt that there were quite a few good nominees we could have chosen from, especially Paul Verhoeven, and the fact that they decided not to do it was a pretty big missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Razzies are the Worst
Yup, the ballot, even expanded, STINKS! #icalledit #razziesarealternatefacts #notanyonesrazzies #batfleckruled #razzievotersdrool
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
As a frequent contributor to the Razzie forums, I am obligated to let you know when you're playing with fire.  Since you nominated "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" excessively, I can now confirm that you're playing with fire.  When the shortlist was posted on several media outlets, the majority of commenters agreed that "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" did not deserve to contend for Worst Picture and since it had the highest Tomatometer Rating of the 14 candidates, I shared the same sentiment.  I was also concerned that excessive involvement of the DC Cinematic Universe would send the signal that we weren't digging deep enough, but the heavy involvement of "Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party" contradicts that.  The latter also has considering whether or not to cut a certain special category from the Methane Movie Awards.  As of right now, I can't say much about the crowd reaction to the nominees, but I expect many to defend "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice".  That being said, I don't expect it to win Worst Picture, but its involvement has me concerned about our reputation.

Now with that out of the way, let's analyze the nominations.  A total of 17 films received nominations for the Razzie Awards.  Here's a look at the nine that got dropped:

Allied
Assassin's Creed
Blair Witch
The Darkness
Ghostbusters
The Legend of Tarzan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
Office Christmas Party
Ride Along 2

"Assassin's Creed" and "The Darkness" were also candidates for Worst Picture.  Their eliminations are not surprising.  "Ghostbusters" was a candidate for Worst Screenplay, but could've had a better chance if it competed for Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff, or Sequel.  Jennifer Aniston was considered for her role in "Office Christmas Party" as well as "Mother's Day", but surprisingly didn't move forward.  T.J. Miller was also considered for "Office Christmas Party", but was also cut.

Here's a count of how many nominations each Worst Picture nominee received:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 8
Dirty Grandpa - 5
Gods of Egypt - 5
Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party - 5
Independence Day: Resurgence - 5
Zoolander 2 - 8

Here are each nominee's eliminations:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Worst Supporting Actor (Jeremy Irons; also for "Assassin's Creed")
Dirty Grandpa - Worst Director (Dan Mazer), Worst Screen Combo (Robert De Niro and either Zac Efron or Aubrey Plaza)
Gods of Egypt - Worst Supporting Actor (Geoffrey Rush, Brenton Thwaites), Worst Screen Combo (Gerard Butler and his on-again/off-again accent; also for "London Has Fallen")
Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party - None, though Becky Turner was listed twice under Worst Actress
Independence Day: Resurgence - Worst Actor (Liam Hemsworth), Worst Supporting Actor (Jeff Goldblum)
Zoolander 2 - Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
MiguelAntilsu wrote
[...]
I would actually like to see what your special category is.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
It's the biennial "Worst Propaganda Disguised as a Feature Film" category.

In other news, Star Wars: Episode VIII is going to be called "Star Wars: The Last Jedi".  Also, those of you looking forward to "Free Fire" are going to have to wait a little longer.  It has been moved from March 17 to April 21.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Well, I'll just say if Nine Lives couldn't even get past the quarterfinals, Dirty Grandpa or Gods of Egypt winning Worst Picture would be a pretty good consolation prize.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Oscars announced: Biggest surprises for me: Mel Gibson got a Best Director nod (guess he is officially back in the circle, somewhat) and Amy Adams did not receive a nomination.

Worst Actress - Kate Beckinsale (nom), Whoopi Goldberg (nom), Katherine Heigl, Dakota Johnson (nom), Milla Jovovich (nom), and Amy Schumer (nom)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom), Anthony Hopkins, Eric Johnson (nom), Ben Kingsley (nom), Rob Lowe (nom), and John Turturro (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom), James Foley, Martin Guigui (nom), Alex Kurtzman (nom), Guy Ritchie (nom), and Chris Wedge (nom)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Breakdown of the Oscar nominations:

1) They shockingly didn't make it but should have: DEADPOOL for Makeup & Hairstyling; ELLE for Foreign Film; HAIL, CAESAR! for Costume Design; JACKIE for Production Design and Makeup & Hairstyling; LOVING for Leading Actor (Joel Edgerton); NOCTURNAL ANIMALS for Leading Actress (Amy Adams), Supporting Actor (Aaron Taylor-Johnson), Adapted Screenplay, Score and Makeup & Hairstyling; SING STREET for Song (DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT); SULLY for Leading Actor (Tom Hanks) and Adapted Screenplay; ARRIVAL for Leading Actress (Amy Adams) and Visual Effects; LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP for Costume Design; FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS for Supporting Actor (Hugh Grant); HACKSAW RIDGE for Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography and Production Design; LION for Directing; FINDING DORY for Animated Film; THE JUNGLE BOOK for Sound Editing/Mixing; BILLY LYNN for Cinematography; FANTASTIC BEASTS for Visual Effects and Sound Editing/Mixing; CAFÉ SOCIETY for Production Design; ROGUE ONE for Makeup & Hairstyling; DEEPWATER HORIZON for Sound Mixing.

2) They predictably didn't make it but should have: AMERICAN HONEY for Picture, Leading Actor (Shia LeBeouf), Leading Actress (Sasha Lane), Supporting Actress (Riley Keough), Directing, Original Screenplay and Cinematography; CAPTAIN FANTASTIC for Picture, Original Screenplay, Costume Design and Makeup & Hairstyling; CERTAIN WOMEN for Picture, Supporting Actress (Lily Gladstone) and Directing; CHRONIC for Picture and Leading Actor (Tim Roth); COUPLE IN A HOLE for Picture and Supporting Actress (Kate Dickie); DEADPOOL for Picture, Adapted Screenplay and Visual Effects; ELLE for Picture and Adapted Screenplay; HAIL, CAESAR! for Picture and Makeup & Hairstyling; THE HANDMAIDEN for Picture and Production Design; I, DANIEL BLAKE for Picture, Leading Actor (Dave Johns), Supporting Actress (Hayley Squires), Directing and Original Screenplay; JACKIE for Picture, Directing, Cinematography and Editing; THE LOBSTER for Picture; LOVING for Directing, Original Screenplay and Makeup & Hairstyling; NOCTURNAL ANIMALS for Picture, Leading Actor (Jake Gyllenhaal), Directing, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design; NOTES ON BLINDNESS for Sound Editing/Mixing; PATERSON for Picture, Leading Actor (Adam Driver) and Original Screenplay; SILENCE for Picture, Supporting Actor (Issey Ogata) and Adapted Screenplay); SING STREET for Picture; SULLY for Picture, Visual Effects, Editing and Makeup & Hairstyling; UNDER THE SHADOW for Picture, Leading Actress (Narges Rashidi), Supporting Actress (Avin Manshadi), Directing, Original Screenplay and Foreign Film; THE WITCH for Picture and Production Design; MY FERAL HEART for Leading Actor (Steve Brandon) and Supporting Actress (Shana Swash); TRESPASS AGAINST US for Leading Actor (Michael Fassbender) and Supporting Actor (Sean Harris); SNOWDEN for Leading Actor (Joseph Gordon-Levitt); FREE IN DEED for Leading Actor (David Harewood), Supporting Actress (Edwina Findley) and Cinematography; BORN TO BE BLUE for Leading Actor (Ethan Hawke); OTHER PEOPLE for Leading Actor (Jesse Plemons) and Supporting Actress (Molly Shannon); I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER for Leading Actor (Max Records), Supporting Actor (Christopher Lloyd) and Adapted Screenplay; MORRIS FROM AMERICA for Supporting Actor (Craig Robinson); LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP for Leading Actress (Kate Beckinsale), Supporting Actor (Tom Bennett) and Adapted Screenplay; 20TH CENTURY WOMEN for Leading Actress (Annette Bening) and Supporting Actress (Greta Gerwig); THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN for Leading Actress (Emily Blunt) and Makeup & Hairstyling; MISS SLOANE for Leading Actress (Jessica Chastain); CHRISTINE for Leading Actress (Rebecca Hall); HIDDEN FIGURES for Leading Actress, Supporting Actress, Score, Song (RUNNIN'), Production Design and Costume Design; ADULT LIFE SKILLS for Leading Actress (Jodie Whittaker), Supporting Actor (Brett Goldstein) and Original Screenplay; ANTHROPOID for Supporting Actor (Jamie Dornan); A BIGGER SPLASH for Supporting Actor (Ralph Fiennes); HELL OR HIGH WATER for Supporting Actor (Ben Foster), Directing, Cinematography and Production Design; FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS for Supporting Actor (Simon Helberg) and Makeup & Hairstyling; THE PASS for Supporting Actor (Arinzé Kene); MR. CHURCH for Supporting Actor (Eddie Murphy); THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS for Supporting Actress (Gemma Arteron) and Visual Effects; LITTLE MEN for Supporting Actress (Paulina Garcia) and Original Screenplay; OUR KIND OF TRAITOR for Supporting Actress (Naomie Harris); EYE IN THE SKY for Supporting Actress (Helen Mirren); HACKSAW RIDGE for Supporting Actress (Teresa Palmer), Score and Makeup & Hairstyling; A UNITED KINGDOM for Supporting Actress (Terry Pheto); FENCES for Directing and Production Design; FREE FIRE for Directing; LION for Editing, Production Design and Costume Design; JUSTIN MARKS for Adapted Screenplay; A MONSTER CALLS for Adapted Screenplay and Visual Effects; KUNG FU PANDA 3 for Animated Film; MISS HOKUSAI for Animated Film; PSICONAUTAS for Animated Film; SAUSAGE PARTY for Animated Film; SING for Animated Film and Song (FAITH); TROLLS for Animated Film; YOUR NAME for Animated Film; THE ARDENNES for Foreign Film; CHEVALIER for Foreign Film; THE HAPPIEST DAY IN THE LIFE OF OLLI MAKI for Foreign Film and Cinematography; JULIETA for Foreign Film; MA' ROSA for Foreign Film; NERUDA for Foreign Film; PARADISE for Foreign Film; 0 DAYS for Documentary; 21 X NEW YORK for Documentary; THE BEATLES: 8 DAYS A WEEK for Documentary; CAMERAPERSON for Documentary; THE CONFESSION for Documentary; DANCER for Documentary; DE PALMA for Documentary; THE EAGLE HUNTRESS for Documentary; A FAMILY AFFAIR for Documentary; GLEASON for Documentary; THE HARD STOP for Documentary; THE IVORY GAME for Documentary; THE LAND OF THE ENLIGHTENED for Documentary; MISS SHARON JONES! for Documentary and Song (I'M STILL HERE); MR. GAGA for Documentary; "S" IS FOR STANLEY for Documentary; SONITA for Documentary; TOWER for Documentary; UNDER THE SUN for Documentary; VERSUS for Documentary; WEINER for Documentary; THE B.F.G. for Score and Visual Effects; THE JUNGLE BOOK for Score, Cinematography and Production Design; THE NEON DEMON for Score and Cinematography; PO for Song (DANCING WITH YOUR SHADOW); GOLD for Song (GOLD); RULES DON'T APPLY for Song (THE RULES DON'T APPLY) and Costume Design; BILLY LYNN for Visual Effects, Editing and Sound Editing/Mixing; THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER for Cinematography; THE EYES OF MY MOTHER for Cinematography; FANTASTIC BEASTS for Makeup & Hairstyling; THE BIRTH OF A NATION for Editing; MANCHESTER BY THE SEA for Editing, Production Design and Makeup & Hairstyling; SUPERSONIC for Editing; SWISS ARMY MAN for Editing; ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS for Production Design and Costume Design; ALLIED for Production Design and Sound Editing/Mixing; DR. STRANGE for Production Design, Costume Design and Makeup & Hairstyling; LIVE BY NIGHT for Production Design; ROGUE ONE for Production Design and Costume Design; ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS: THE MOVIE for Costume Design; THE DRESSMAKER for Costume Design; KUBO AND THE 2 STRINGS for Costume Design; MISS PEREGRINE for Costume Design; ZOOLANDER NO. 2 for Makeup & Hairstyling.

3) They surprisingly made it: DEEPWATER HORIZON for Visual Effects; JIM: THE JAMES FOLEY STORY for Song; KUBO AND THE 2 STRINGS for Visual Effects; A MAN CALLED OVE for Makeup & Hairstyling; PASSENGERS for Score; ROGUE ONE for Sound Mixing; SILENCE for Cinematography; SULLY for Sound Editing; TANNA for Foreign Film.
Follow me on Twitter @Vits_Chile
123456 ... 38