2017's likely Razzie contenders

1234 ... 27

2017's likely Razzie contenders

DTLizard
Since the other thread will most likely still have discussion over the 2016 ballot, I figured a separate thread for 2017 releases would be handy.

Apart from the obvious *cough* Fifty Shades *cough*, what upcoming movies are looking like contenders?

The DC Extended Universe had some bad movies in 2016, and will be releasing Wonder Woman and Justice League in 2017. Will they have learned from the negative critical response, or will they look at the box office and go 'well, the audience liked it', and carry on?

We've also got Rings getting released in February, a sequel that comes over a decade after the original Ring. We saw something similar in 2016 with the Blair Witch sequel nobody wanted (not to mention that February seems like a weird month to release a horror film).

Any other contenders you've already got your eye on?

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Rockr93
Here are some in my personal opinion:

Underworld: Blood Wars (I already know it has been mentioned but I just put it on my list for me)
The Bye Bye Man
Monster Trucks
XXX: Return of Xander Cage (Another sequel we don't need or want)
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Goes hand in hand with Underworld: Blood Wars)
Rings
Fifty Shades Darker
John Wick: Chapter 2
Fist Fight
The Shack
CHiPs
Power Rangers
The Boss Baby

That's only for the Dead Months (Jan-Mar) for film...

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
MONSTER TRUCKS has received negative early reviews. We should focus on it and THE BYE BYE MAN. I don't know yet about SLEEPLESS.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Should be noted that The Bye Bye Man includes a now rare acting appearance from two time Razzie winner Faye Dunaway.
Worst Actor - Matt Damon (nom) (Been called uninteresting and is also accused of promoting a white savior movie. Also since his buddy Ben Affleck has been nominated multiple times, why not him?), Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.), Jamie Dornan (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Tom Hanks (nom) (He managed to avoid a nom for decades, BurnHollywoodBurn from years back even described him as "Un-Razz-able", but considering how much of a let down The Circle was and how he didn't bring much to it, maybe his time is now. Plus, he'd be interesting to nominate, and it's be weird to have Watson and not him too.), Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (nom)(Not only did his movie pretty much flop, but he ends up complaining about the criticism on Twitter! Plus, he's been nominated before and Jumanji doesn't look so hot either.), and Mark Wahlberg (nom) (If this is his last "hurrah" in the Transformers movies, maybe he should get a nom as extra motivation to stay away. Marky Mark doesn't want to become a repeat offender, does he?)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!), Scarlett Johansson (nom) (Starred in two box-office bombs, one of them with the stigma of whitewashing. Plus it'd be interesting to have her.), Dakota Johnson (nom) (Won for the role last time, need I say more?), Milla Jovovich (nom) (Considering that the last outing got her a nom, maybe she'll receive another one.), Amy Schumer (nom) (Not only has her humor been described as getting scale and one-note, but she's been labeling any criticisms of that as "evil conservatives" to try and dismiss them, and now this led up a movie that is not so well received for many reasons, not the least of which being that she did not bring the funny, and did pretty poorly at the box-office.), and Emma Watson (nom) (While starring in, at this point, the highest grossing movies of the year, she also stars in one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Could be something to pounce on.)

Worst Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (nom) (He does not lend much to the movie he stars in, and the special effects on him make his performance look worse!), Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!), Eric Johnson (nom) (Basically used to make Christian Grey look less bad by comparison!), Ben Kingsley (nom) (Not only a Razzie repeat offender, but his character in Collide keeps watching the Razzie nominated movie Perfect and keeps talking almost creepily about Razzie perennial Burt Reynolds!), Rob Lowe (nom) (Previously won a Razzie in this category, why not nominate him again if he's going to appear in films like Monster Trucks.), and John Turturro (nom) (He has made the ballots for the Transformers movies before, but always gets shut out. Maybe this will be his chance at a nom.)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.), Faye Dunaway (nom) (Razzie perennial Dunaway is attempting to make a big comeback, but starting off with The Bye Bye Man, not to mention being a part of the Best Picture flub at the Oscars, things do not look good for her.), Laura Haddock (nom) (She seems to be a good actress, but when put into a Bay movie where she has to look pretty while being a scientist, Star-Lord's mom cannot pull it off.), Marcia Gay Harden (nom) (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?), Goldie Hawn (nom) (Making her big-screen comeback in Snatched... a movie which stunk and she stunk in it, a surefire way to receive a second nom in this category.), and Isabela Moner (nom) (Comes off as a preachy character, more than likely going to annoy some.)

Worst Director - Michael Bay (nom) (Going to go down in history as the most Razzie nominated director thanks to these Transformers movies. I would not be surprised if he wins.), James Foley (Previous Razzie nominee has returned after about three decades to director the sequel to the Razzie winning Fifty Shades of Grey. I'd say he has this in the bag.), Alex Kurtzman (nom) (Speaking of Transformers, one of the Razzie winning writers of the first and second one tried to start a cinematic universe, and boy howdy, did it get off to a rocky start!), Guy Ritchie (nom) (Speaking of cinematic universes, previous Razzie winner and husband of Madonna tried to start one too, and man did it turn out messy!), Chris Wedge (nom) (Going from animation to live-action and came out with a write-off... yeah...), and Zhang Yimou (nom) (Even with his stylized directing, he could not make the characters interesting, or those lizard creatures look convincing.)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Golden Globe nomination had been a surprise. Not only has his name barely been seen throughout this award season, but his NOCTURNAL ANIMALS co-star Michael Shannon has received more nominations. Since the other nominees are bigger Oscar frontrunners, nobody expected him to win tonight... but he did! Isabelle Huppert has won other awards for ELLE, but I didn't feel that she was leading the race. Aside from those two, there weren't really other surprises in the film categories, but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.

I think that Jimmy Fallon's best assets are his impressions. This type of show doesn't allow him to be completely disguised, which is a shame. Well, he told some good jokes.

My favorite part of the night was when Viola Davis presented Meryl Streep with the Cecil B. DeMille Award. It started as the weirdest speech of the night and it became the most touching speech of the night.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Vits wrote
Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Golden Globe nomination had been a surprise. Not only has his name barely been seen throughout this award season, but his NOCTURNAL ANIMALS co-star Michael Shannon has received more nominations. Since the other nominees are bigger Oscar frontrunners, nobody expected him to win tonight... but he did!
I think Simon Helberg was the least likely to win, and Taylor-Johnson was second in line, but I was surprised myself. Many thought for sure that it was going to be Luke Cage actor Mahershala Ali for Moonlight.

I do wonder if this means that Taylor-Johnson's Oscar chances have bumped up a bit.
[...]

MiguelAntilsu
Here's a short timeline for major Oscar precursors:

January 10 - Producers Guild of America Awards feature film and animated film nominees are announced
January 12 - Directors Guild of America Awards feature film nominees are announced
January 28 - Producers Guild of America Awards
January 29 - Screen Actors Guild Awards
February 4 - Directors Guild of America Awards
February 19 - Writers Guild of America Awards

Here's Watchmojo's list of the 10 Worst Movies of 2016: LINK

And here's a brief reminder of the ten films I have my eye on for the Razzies for 2017:

10. Amityville: The Awakening
9. Captain Underpants
8. The Emoji Movie
7. Monster Trucks
6. Rock Dog
5. The Great Wall
4. Ghost in the Shell
3. Fifty Shades Darker
2. Transformers: The Last Knight
1. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

The BAFTAs nominations.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
Here are the nominees for the Producers Guild of America Awards: LINK.

Also, our shortlist has been leaked.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

After too many animated works piled up for release in August 2017, they pushed back Blazing Samurai to '018. We'll have to wait another year to potentially RAZZ it. If it's already been mentioned, reply with "OLD'D!"

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
Not only that, but Bastards (a comedy starring Owen Wilson, Ed Helms, Glenn Close, J.K. Simmons, and Terry Bradshaw) has been postponed indefinitely and the untitled Blumhouse horror film scheduled for February has been removed completely.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Despite the controversy surrounding it, the "use" of a deceased Peter Cushing in ROGUE ONE has resulted in this. Will it defeat ex-Razzie contender WARCRAFT?
MiguelAntilsu wrote
Here are the nominees for the Producers Guild of America Awards: LINK.

Also, our shortlist has been leaked.
1) DEADPOOL?! Does this mean it has a bigger chance that we thought of getting a Best Picture Oscar nomination?
2) Leaked? I thought that it was published on purpose, like the previous years.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu wrote
Not only that, but Bastards (a comedy starring Owen Wilson, Ed Helms, Glenn Close, J.K. Simmons, and Terry Bradshaw) has been postponed indefinitely and the untitled Blumhouse horror film scheduled for February has been removed completely.
Well, dang. I was actually looking forward to talking about its Razzie potential.

Well, since I'm here, I could talk about a certain possibility this year.

Three old frequent Razzie nominated/winning actresses are going to be in movies this year that could end up getting them in the Worst Supporting Actress category.

I've already mentioned Faye Dunaway for the Bye Bye Man. We also have Demi Moore possibly being up for Rock That Body*, though granted she was in the ballots for Mr. Brooks, but people were not interested in nominating her then. But maybe they will if there is the possibility of her, Dunaway, and Kim Basinger being nominated. Let us not forget that Basinger is going to have a "key" role in Fifty Shades Darker. I would be shocked if she does not make the ballots for that.

Because of their history with the Razzies, who would be surprised if these three people (four if you count the possibility of Goldie Hawn for Snatched) end up filling the slot for Worst Supporting Actress? If it does happen, here's hoping Kim Basinger wins, although I would not be too sad if it goes to, say, Bella Heathcote for Darker. I can always wait for the next year.

*Rock That Body stars Scarlett Johansson. Depending on how that movie and Ghost in the Shell does, Black Widow may end up being a Worst Actress nominee.
[...]

Oh, now there is a Worst Screen Combo: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/razzie-awards-nominate-the-worst-screen-combo-for-2016/

EDIT: That poll only let me vote one of them. What the heck?

EDIT EDIT: I was just thinking... It took an unusually long time for this poll to come out. Considering the noms on the ballot, I would have thought that Hillary's America would be on Worst Screen Combo as an extra stab, but it's not. Thinking about this, does anyone believe that the Combo noms are an indication to what is actually going to make the top five in each category?
[...]

A couple of Razzie candidates are up for awards from the Make-Up Artists and Hairstylists Guild: LINK.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram wrote
[...]

1) I'm not a fan of nominating people just because they've been nominated in the past. I'll wait until I see those movies.
2) The fact that GODS OF EGYPT appears twice definitely gives it an edge in the race.
3) MOTHER'S DAY has male actors in it too (mainly Jason Sudeikis). They should've been included.
4) Shouldn't Penélope Cruz be listed for ZOOLANDER NO. 2 as well?

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Razzies are the Worst
Way to go with that Trumpet/alt-right thinking! #makingtheRazziesworseagain
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Razzies are the Worst
1) Way to show some perspective/common sense (unlike too many others here)- good job by you!

2) That may be the WORSE movie (along w/ID4#2) on the whole (severely lacking) ballot

3) See my #1 comment- that goes double for Collateral Beauty BTW #RazziesSoSexist

4) Probably, but who cares in the grand scheme of things?
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
For 2016, the Houston Film Critics Society had an award for Worst Picture.  The nominees were "Gods of Egypt", "Independence Day: Resurgence", "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates", "Yoga Hosers", and "Zoolander 2".  The winner can be found here.
1234 ... 27