2017's likely Razzie contenders

1234 ... 23

2017's likely Razzie contenders

DTLizard
Since the other thread will most likely still have discussion over the 2016 ballot, I figured a separate thread for 2017 releases would be handy.

Apart from the obvious *cough* Fifty Shades *cough*, what upcoming movies are looking like contenders?

The DC Extended Universe had some bad movies in 2016, and will be releasing Wonder Woman and Justice League in 2017. Will they have learned from the negative critical response, or will they look at the box office and go 'well, the audience liked it', and carry on?

We've also got Rings getting released in February, a sequel that comes over a decade after the original Ring. We saw something similar in 2016 with the Blair Witch sequel nobody wanted (not to mention that February seems like a weird month to release a horror film).

Any other contenders you've already got your eye on?

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Rockr93
Here are some in my personal opinion:

Underworld: Blood Wars (I already know it has been mentioned but I just put it on my list for me)
The Bye Bye Man
Monster Trucks
XXX: Return of Xander Cage (Another sequel we don't need or want)
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Goes hand in hand with Underworld: Blood Wars)
Rings
Fifty Shades Darker
John Wick: Chapter 2
Fist Fight
The Shack
CHiPs
Power Rangers
The Boss Baby

That's only for the Dead Months (Jan-Mar) for film...

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Vits
MONSTER TRUCKS has received negative early reviews. We should focus on it and THE BYE BYE MAN. I don't know yet about SLEEPLESS.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Should be noted that The Bye Bye Man includes a now rare acting appearance from two time Razzie winner Faye Dunaway.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Golden Globe nomination had been a surprise. Not only has his name barely been seen throughout this award season, but his NOCTURNAL ANIMALS co-star Michael Shannon has received more nominations. Since the other nominees are bigger Oscar frontrunners, nobody expected him to win tonight... but he did! Isabelle Huppert has won other awards for ELLE, but I didn't feel that she was leading the race. Aside from those two, there weren't really other surprises in the film categories, but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.

I think that Jimmy Fallon's best assets are his impressions. This type of show doesn't allow him to be completely disguised, which is a shame. Well, he told some good jokes.

My favorite part of the night was when Viola Davis presented Meryl Streep with the Cecil B. DeMille Award. It started as the weirdest speech of the night and it became the most touching speech of the night.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram
Vits wrote
Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Golden Globe nomination had been a surprise. Not only has his name barely been seen throughout this award season, but his NOCTURNAL ANIMALS co-star Michael Shannon has received more nominations. Since the other nominees are bigger Oscar frontrunners, nobody expected him to win tonight... but he did!
I think Simon Helberg was the least likely to win, and Taylor-Johnson was second in line, but I was surprised myself. Many thought for sure that it was going to be Luke Cage actor Mahershala Ali for Moonlight.

I do wonder if this means that Taylor-Johnson's Oscar chances have bumped up a bit.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
Here's a short timeline for major Oscar precursors:

January 10 - Producers Guild of America Awards feature film and animated film nominees are announced
January 12 - Directors Guild of America Awards feature film nominees are announced
January 28 - Producers Guild of America Awards
January 29 - Screen Actors Guild Awards
February 4 - Directors Guild of America Awards
February 19 - Writers Guild of America Awards

Here's Watchmojo's list of the 10 Worst Movies of 2016: LINK

And here's a brief reminder of the ten films I have my eye on for the Razzies for 2017:

10. Amityville: The Awakening
9. Captain Underpants
8. The Emoji Movie
7. Monster Trucks
6. Rock Dog
5. The Great Wall
4. Ghost in the Shell
3. Fifty Shades Darker
2. Transformers: The Last Knight
1. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

The BAFTAs nominations.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
Here are the nominees for the Producers Guild of America Awards: LINK.

Also, our shortlist has been leaked.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

After too many animated works piled up for release in August 2017, they pushed back Blazing Samurai to '018. We'll have to wait another year to potentially RAZZ it. If it's already been mentioned, reply with "OLD'D!"

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
Not only that, but Bastards (a comedy starring Owen Wilson, Ed Helms, Glenn Close, J.K. Simmons, and Terry Bradshaw) has been postponed indefinitely and the untitled Blumhouse horror film scheduled for February has been removed completely.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Despite the controversy surrounding it, the "use" of a deceased Peter Cushing in ROGUE ONE has resulted in this. Will it defeat ex-Razzie contender WARCRAFT?
MiguelAntilsu wrote
Here are the nominees for the Producers Guild of America Awards: LINK.

Also, our shortlist has been leaked.
1) DEADPOOL?! Does this mean it has a bigger chance that we thought of getting a Best Picture Oscar nomination?
2) Leaked? I thought that it was published on purpose, like the previous years.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu wrote
Not only that, but Bastards (a comedy starring Owen Wilson, Ed Helms, Glenn Close, J.K. Simmons, and Terry Bradshaw) has been postponed indefinitely and the untitled Blumhouse horror film scheduled for February has been removed completely.
Well, dang. I was actually looking forward to talking about its Razzie potential.

Well, since I'm here, I could talk about a certain possibility this year.

Three old frequent Razzie nominated/winning actresses are going to be in movies this year that could end up getting them in the Worst Supporting Actress category.

I've already mentioned Faye Dunaway for the Bye Bye Man. We also have Demi Moore possibly being up for Rock That Body*, though granted she was in the ballots for Mr. Brooks, but people were not interested in nominating her then. But maybe they will if there is the possibility of her, Dunaway, and Kim Basinger being nominated. Let us not forget that Basinger is going to have a "key" role in Fifty Shades Darker. I would be shocked if she does not make the ballots for that.

Because of their history with the Razzies, who would be surprised if these three people (four if you count the possibility of Goldie Hawn for Snatched) end up filling the slot for Worst Supporting Actress? If it does happen, here's hoping Kim Basinger wins, although I would not be too sad if it goes to, say, Bella Heathcote for Darker. I can always wait for the next year.

*Rock That Body stars Scarlett Johansson. Depending on how that movie and Ghost in the Shell does, Black Widow may end up being a Worst Actress nominee.
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Oh, now there is a Worst Screen Combo: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/razzie-awards-nominate-the-worst-screen-combo-for-2016/

EDIT: That poll only let me vote one of them. What the heck?

EDIT EDIT: I was just thinking... It took an unusually long time for this poll to come out. Considering the noms on the ballot, I would have thought that Hillary's America would be on Worst Screen Combo as an extra stab, but it's not. Thinking about this, does anyone believe that the Combo noms are an indication to what is actually going to make the top five in each category?
Worst Actor - Johnny Depp (Just imagine the cruel irony of winning for the role that original got him his first Oscar nom.)

Worst Actress - Katherine Heigl (SHE MUST WIN!)

Worst Supporting Actor - Anthony Hopkins (If he is nominated, he'll break a Razzie record. If he wins, he'll break TWO records!)

Worst Supporting Actress - Kim Basinger (Basically in this movie because 9 1/2 Weeks, her first Razzie nomination.)

Worst Supporting Actress (nom) - Marcia Gay Harden (Jane Seymour got a nomination for the parody version of the role, so why not the real thing?)

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
A couple of Razzie candidates are up for awards from the Make-Up Artists and Hairstylists Guild: LINK.

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

oiram wrote
[...]

1) I'm not a fan of nominating people just because they've been nominated in the past. I'll wait until I see those movies.
2) The fact that GODS OF EGYPT appears twice definitely gives it an edge in the race.
3) MOTHER'S DAY has male actors in it too (mainly Jason Sudeikis). They should've been included.
4) Shouldn't Penélope Cruz be listed for ZOOLANDER NO. 2 as well?

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Razzies are the Worst
Way to go with that Trumpet/alt-right thinking! #makingtheRazziesworseagain
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

Razzies are the Worst
1) Way to show some perspective/common sense (unlike too many others here)- good job by you!

2) That may be the WORSE movie (along w/ID4#2) on the whole (severely lacking) ballot

3) See my #1 comment- that goes double for Collateral Beauty BTW #RazziesSoSexist

4) Probably, but who cares in the grand scheme of things?
The 2016 Razzies ballot/nominee list were the WORST EVER! #firejohnbwilson

Re: 2017's likely Razzie contenders

MiguelAntilsu
For 2016, the Houston Film Critics Society had an award for Worst Picture.  The nominees were "Gods of Egypt", "Independence Day: Resurgence", "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates", "Yoga Hosers", and "Zoolander 2".  The winner can be found here.
1234 ... 23